Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: >& >&! in /bin/csh
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers >& >&! in /bin/csh Post 302975925 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 21st of June 2016 02:21:42 PM
Old 06-21-2016
According to
Code:
man tcsh

command >& file redirects the standard output and error messages to the file.
An additional! normally has no effect, unless there was a previous set noclobber (that is inhibited then).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using 2>&1 | tee $fout.login csh

I created this bash script. However when I tried to do it using csh, 2>&1 | tee $fout.log did not work. #!/bin/bash data=$1 inmod=$2 nxz=$3 data=` echo $data | awk 'BEGIN { FS=".dat" } { print $1 }' ` inmod=` echo $inmod | awk 'BEGIN { FS=".vmod" } { print $1 }' ` nx=`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Questions about /usr/local/bin & scripts.

Hi gentlemen. For what intended is the directory /usr/local/bin? In this directory are some script. I don't understand how these scripts being in this directory are started. Each time after registration of the user occurs start of these scripts. These scripts start applications. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace & with & xml file

Hello All I have a xml file with many sets of records like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> also same file can be like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> <tag3>data2&amp;data3</tag3> Now i can grep & and replace with &amp; for whole file but it will replace all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

/usr/bin/find && -exec /bin/rm never work as expected

hi there, Would you able to advise that why the syntax or statement below couldn't work as expected ? /usr/bin/find /backup -name "*tar*" -mtime +2 -exec /bin/rm -f {} \; 1> /dev/null 2>&1 In fact, I was initially located it as in crontab job, but it doesn't work at all. So, I was... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh equivalent to >& in csh

In csh I am using >&. What is the equivalent in ksh?? >& - redirect stdout and stderr (csh,tcsh) (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace & sign to &amp word

Hi, I have text file abc.txt. In this file, I have the following data. Input: Mr Smith &amp Mrs Smith Mr Smith &apos Mrs Smith Mr Smith & Mrs Smith Mr Smith& Mrs Smith Mr Smith &Mrs Smith Output: Mr Smith &amp Mrs Smith Mr Smith &apos Mrs Smith Mr Smith &amp Mrs Smith Mr Smith&amp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
4 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

>& redirection not working within csh script

I'm having a strange problem with basic >& output redirection to a simple log file in csh. When I run this particular output redirection on the command line, it works, but then when I run the same output redirection command >& in my c shell script, I get a blank log file. Nothing is output to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: silencio
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP Shell Script Get & Delete && Upload & Delete

Hi All, Do you have any sample script, - auto get file from SFTP remote server and delete file in remove server after downloaded. - only download specify filename - auto upload file from local to SFTP remote server and delete local folder file after uploaded - only upload specify filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weesiong
3 Replies
nice(1) 							   User Commands							   nice(1)

NAME
nice - invoke a command with an altered scheduling priority SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/nice [-increment | -n increment] command [argument]... /usr/xpg4/bin/nice [-increment | -n increment] command [argument]... csh Builtin nice [-increment | +increment] [command] DESCRIPTION
The nice utility invokes command, requesting that it be run with a different system scheduling priority. The priocntl(1) command is a more general interface to scheduler functions. The invoking process (generally the user's shell) must be in a scheduling class that supports nice. If the C shell (see csh(1)) is used, the full path of the command must be specified. Otherwise, the csh built-in version of nice will be invoked. See csh Builtin below. /usr/bin/nice If nice executes commands with arguments, it uses the default shell /usr/bin/sh (see sh(1)). /usr/xpg4/bin/nice If nice executes commands with arguments, it uses /usr/xpg4/bin/sh (see ksh(1)). csh Builtin nice is also a csh built-in command with behavior different from the utility versions. See csh(1) for description. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -increment | -n increment increment is a positive or negative decimal integer that has the same effect on the execution of the utility as if the utility had called the nice() function with the numeric value of the increment option-argument. See nice(2). nice() errors, other than EINVAL, are ignored. If not specified, an increment of 10 is assumed. The super-user may run commands with priority higher than normal by using a negative increment such as -10. A negative increment assigned by an unprivileged user is ignored. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: command The name of a command that is to be invoked. If command names any of the special built-in utilities (see shell_builtins(1)), the results are undefined. argument Any string to be supplied as an argument when invoking command. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of nice: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, PATH, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
If command is invoked, the exit status of nice will be the exit status of command. Otherwise, nice will exit with one of the following val- ues: 1-125 An error occurred. 126 command was found but could not be invoked. 127 command could not be found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/nice +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/nice +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), nohup(1), priocntl(1), sh(1), shell_builtins(1), nice(2), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 23 Jan 2004 nice(1)