Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh : split hex number group
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh : split hex number group Post 302974980 by drl on Monday 6th of June 2016 11:56:36 PM
Old 06-07-2016
Hi.

Using brace expansion feature of shell:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ksh
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s3       Demonstrate brace expansion, base conversion.

LC_ALL=C ; LANG=C ; export LC_ALL LANG
pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C

FILE=${1-data1}

p=$( basename $0 ) t1="$Revision: 1.12 $" v=${t1//[!0-9.]/}
[[ $# -gt 0 ]] && [[ "$1" =~ -version ]] &&  { echo "$p (local) $v" ; exit 0 ; }

# Function to convert base-16 to base-10
hex() {
printf "%d\n" "0x$1"
}

pl " Example 1, brace expansion, constants:"
printf '%d,' {2..4} ; printf "\n"

pl " Example 2, variables (bash fails; ksh succeeds):"
lo=3
hi=5
printf '%d,' {$lo..$hi} ; printf "\n"

pl " Example 3, variables, but with eval:"
eval "printf '%d,' {$lo..$hi}" ; printf "\n"

pl " Example 4, hex values in variables, remove final comma:"
lo=a0
hi=b0
eval "printf '%x,' {$(hex $lo)..$(hex $hi)}" | sed '$s/,$/\n/'

pl " Example 5, hex values in variables, arithmetic to eliminate comma:"
lo=a0
hi=b0
eval "printf '%x,' {$(hex $lo)..$(($(hex $hi)-1))}" ; printf "%x\n" $(hex $hi)

pl " Example 6, read from file, create sequence:"
IFS=":" read lo hi < $FILE
pe " Data:"
printf " lo = %s, hi = %s\n" $lo $hi
eval "printf '%x,' {$(hex $lo)..$(($(hex $hi)-1))}" ; printf "%x\n" $(hex $hi)

exit 0

producing:
Code:
$ ./s3

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.16.0-4-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 8.4 (jessie) 
bash GNU bash 4.3.30

-----
 Example 1, brace expansion, constants:

-----
 Example 2, variables (bash fails; ksh succeeds):

-----
 Example 3, variables, but with eval:

-----
 Example 4, hex values in variables, remove final comma:
a0,a1,a2,a3,a4,a5,a6,a7,a8,a9,aa,ab,ac,ad,ae,af,b0

-----
 Example 5, hex values in variables, arithmetic to eliminate comma:
a0,a1,a2,a3,a4,a5,a6,a7,a8,a9,aa,ab,ac,ad,ae,af,b0

-----
 Example 6, read from file, create sequence:
 Data:
 lo = 4D40, hi = 4D42
4d40,4d41,4d42

See man pages, Google for details.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

Last edited by drl; 06-07-2016 at 01:08 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh and hex numbers

typeset -i A=16#0 typeset -u A=$a y=${A#16#} This converted $a to hex and stored it in y. Can someone walk me through how this was done? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

retrieving all group names with a given group number

hi, which Unix/C function can i use to retrieve all group names with a particular group id? The following C code prints out the group id number of a particular group name: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ #include <stdio.h> #include <grp.h> int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

incremental addition of hex decimal number in one field

Hi I want to incremental add hex decimal number to a particula field in file eg: addr =123 dept1=0 addr = 345 dept2 =1 addr2 = 124 dept3 =2 . . . . . . addr3 =567 dept15 =f Is there any command which add... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: diddi_linux
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split these into many ...(/etc/group)!!

Guys Following input line is from /etc/group file.As we know last entry in a line of /etc/group is userlist (all the users belonging to that group). I need to splilt this one line into 3 lines as shown below (3 because userlist has 3 names in it). Input: lp:!:11:root,lp,printq ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HEX number grouping

Guys, I am looking for a small script which generates HEX sequence. Input to the script is starting hex number - Group ID and number of members in a group and total groups. e.g: we are generating 2 groups with 4 Members each starting with hex number 036A. I should get o/p in following format. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamax
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove leading zeros for a hex number

Is it possible by using awk to remove leading zeros for a hex number? ex: 0000000011179E0A -> 11179E0A Thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloszhang
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare hex number

$ awk 'BEGIN{ pat111=0x1000000002E3E02; snBegin=0x1000000002E3E01; if (pat111<=snBegin) printf "a\n"}' a Result is not correct. Looks like the number is too big. Any idea? Thx! Please use code tags <- click the link! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloszhang
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex - KSH

Hello, I woild like to convert hex on KSH not BASH: I tried to use: tmp=31 printf "\x"${tmp}"" it works on bash - Output is '1' but not on ksh. please advice on the right syntax. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hex number sequence help

Need some help doing this ... with awk maybe Input 0DF6 0DF7 0DF8 0DF9 0DFA 0DFB 0DFC 0DFD 0DFF 0E00 0E01 0E02 0E03 0E04 0E05 0E06 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using sed to split hex string

Hi, I'm looking to split the following hex string into rows of four elements. I've tried the following but it doesn't seem to work. How can I tell sed to match based on a pair of number(s) and letter(s), and add a newline every 4 pairs? In addition, I need to add another newline after every... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
5 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)