Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to update field file based on match Post 302974580 by RudiC on Wednesday 1st of June 2016 04:04:12 AM
Old 06-01-2016
To sort of keep the formatting, try a small adaption to Aia's fine proposal:

Code:
awk 'FNR==NR {A[$1]=$2; next}  $2 in A {sub ($2, $2 "." A[$2]) }1' file1 file2

To update your files, try redirection && move.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update a field in a file based on condition

Hi i am new to scripting. i have a file file.dat with content as : CONTENT_STORAGE PERCENTAGE FLAG: /storage_01 64% 0 /storage_02 17% 1 I need to update the value of FLAG for a particular CONTENT_STORAGE value I have written the following code #!/bin/sh threshold=20... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kichu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk match to update contents of file

I am trying to match $1 in file1 with $2 in file2. If a match is found then $3 and $4 of file2 are copied to file1. Both files are tab-delimeted and I am getting a syntax error and would also like to update file1 in-place without creating a new file, but am not sure how. Thank you :). file1 ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field in file based of match in another

I am trying to use awk to match two files that are tab-delimited. When a match is found between file1 $1 and file2 $4, $4 in file2 is updated using the $2 value in file1. If no match is found then the next line is processed. Thank you :). file1 uc001bwr.3 ADC uc001bws.3 ADC... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update value in field based on another field

In the tab-delimeted input file below I am trying to use awk to update the value in $2 if TYPE=ins in bold, by adding the value of HRUN= in italics. In the below since in line 1 TYPE=ins the 117282541 value in $2 has 6 added because that is the value of HRUN=. Hopefully the awk is a start but I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file based on partial match in field1 and exact match in field2

I am trying to create a cronjob that will run on startup that will look at a list.txt file to see if there is a later version of a database using database.txt as the source. The matching lines are written to output. $1 in database.txt will be in list.txt as a partial match. $2 of database.txt... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to update field in file based of match to another file

In the perl below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 (last field) in file2, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update value based on pattern match in another file

In the awk, thanks you @RavinderSingh13, for the help in below, hopefully it is close as I am trying to update the value in $12 of the tab-delimeted file2 with the matching value in $1 of the space delimeted file1. I have added comments for each line as well. Thank you :). awk awk '$12 ==... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to assign points to variables based on conditions and update specific field

I have been reading old posts and trying to come up with a solution for the below: Use a tab-delimited input file to assign point to variables that are used to update a specific field, Rank. I really couldn't find too much in the way of assigning points to variable, but made an attempt at an awk... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update a specific field in file with Variable value based on other Key Word

I have an input file with A=xyz B=pqr I would want the value in Second Field (xyz or pqr) updated with a value present in Shell Variable based on the value passed in the first field. (A or B ) while read line do NEW_VALUE = `some functionality done on $line` If $line=First Field-... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file based on match in 3 fields

Trying to use awk to store the value of $5 in file1 in array x. That array x is then used to search $4 of file1 to find aa match (I use x to skip the header in file1). Since $4 can have multiple strings in it seperated by a , (comma), I split them and iterate througn each split looking for a match.... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)