Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dynamic variable assignment
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dynamic variable assignment Post 302973959 by JayDoshi on Tuesday 24th of May 2016 01:08:14 PM
Old 05-24-2016
I want to assign columns in first row of a csv file into dynamic variables in KSH.

---------- Post updated at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:31 PM ----------

example if first row of csv file is Jay,1000,Doshi,1234
code should assign
Code:
var1=Jay
var2=1000
var3=Doshi
var4=1234

Last edited by RudiC; 05-24-2016 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Added (i)code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

@ in a variable assignment

Hello Everybody, Does anyone know what the @ symbol means in a csh script, if used with a variable assignment as below @ line = 1 why not just use.... set line=1 Many thanks rkap (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkap
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variable assignment

Hi All, I have the below scenario: A file test.cfg with three fields>> DATA1 DATA2 DATA3 In the script I need to assign each of the fields to variables. The number of fields will not be constant (this case we have three). Im trying to do something like this: NUM=1 OUT_DAT_NO=3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable assignment using awk

Guys, Could you please help me out. I need two values in two variables using awk from the o/p of grep. example:- grep sdosanjh <filename> sdosanjh myhostname myfilename NOW WHAT I WANT IS :- sdosanjh should be in variable (say NAME) myhostname should be in variable (say... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

eval and variable assignment

Hi, i have an issue with eval and variable assignment. 1) i have a date value in a variable and that date is part of a filename, var1=20100331 file1=${var1}-D1-0092.xml.zip file2=${var2}-D2-0092.xml.zip file3=${var3}-D3-0092.xml.zip i am passing the above variables to a script via... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi all, I’m very new to UNIX programming. I have a question on dynamic variable 1. I’m having delimited file (only one row). First of all, I want to count number of columns based on delimiter. Then I want to create number of variables equal to number of fields. Say number of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkarthykeyan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with variable assignment

Hi, In AIX I have a variable with , (coma) separated values assigned to it like shown below var1=apple,boy,chris i want to convert this to var1='apple','boy','chris' the number of values assigned to var1 might change and it could be from 1 to n any suggestions please? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul9909
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

'eval' used in variable assignment

pattern1=book { x=1 eval echo \$pattern$x } book (this is the output) But when I assign a variable to the output of the eval it doesn't work unless I prefix 2 times backslash before $ as shown below. { a=`eval echo \\$pattern$x` echo $a } book Why here twice "\" has to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

My Code : -------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash for i in `echo server1 server2` do eval ${i}_name = "apache" echo ${i}_name done -------------------------------------------- Current output : >./test.sh ./test.sh: line 5: server1_name: command not found... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameermohite
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Same Variable Assignment

Hi I have a strange problem: In my shell script I am performing a copy task: . prop.txt cp -r $dir/ $dir/archive $dir is fetched from a property file (prop.txt) which stores its value dir=/opt/data Now the problem is another dir1 comes into picture. I only want to add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankur328
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Assignment

Hi I am facing a problem. export local_folder=/opt/app/ cd /opt/app/abc/ abcversion="abc*" (abcga5 is inside /opt/app/abc/) echo $abcversion (it echoes the correct version as abcga5 ) Now when I reuse the value of abcversion for a below path: export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
6 Replies
csv(n)								  CSV processing							    csv(n)

NAME
csv - Procedures to handle CSV data. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.3 package require csv ?0.3? ::csv::join values {sepChar ,} ::csv::joinlist values {sepChar ,} ::csv::read2matrix chan m {sepChar ,} {expand none} ::csv::read2queue chan q {sepChar ,} ::csv::report cmd matrix ?chan? ::csv::split line {sepChar ,} ::csv::split2matrix m line {sepChar ,} {expand none} ::csv::split2queue q line {sepChar ,} ::csv::writematrix m chan {sepChar ,} ::csv::writequeue q chan {sepChar ,} DESCRIPTION
The csv package provides commands to manipulate information in CSV FORMAT (CSV = Comma Separated Values). COMMANDS
The following commands are available: ::csv::join values {sepChar ,} Takes a list of values and returns a string in CSV format containing these values. The separator character can be defined by the caller, but this is optional. The default is ",". ::csv::joinlist values {sepChar ,} Takes a list of lists of values and returns a string in CSV format containing these values. The separator character can be defined by the caller, but this is optional. The default is ",". Each element of the outer list is considered a record, these are separated by newlines in the result. The elements of each record are formatted as usual (via ::csv::join). ::csv::read2matrix chan m {sepChar ,} {expand none} A wrapper around ::csv::split2matrix (see below) reading CSV-formatted lines from the specified channel (until EOF) and adding them to the given matrix. For an explanation of the expand argument see ::csv::split2matrix. ::csv::read2queue chan q {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::split2queue (see below) reading CSV-formatted lines from the specified channel (until EOF) and adding them to the given queue. ::csv::report cmd matrix ?chan? A report command which can be used by the matrix methods format 2string and format 2chan. For the latter this command delegates the work to ::csv::writematrix. cmd is expected to be either printmatrix or printmatrix2channel. The channel argument, chan, has to be present for the latter and must not be present for the first. ::csv::split line {sepChar ,} converts a line in CSV format into a list of the values contained in the line. The character used to separate the values from each other can be defined by the caller, via sepChar, but this is optional. The default is ",". ::csv::split2matrix m line {sepChar ,} {expand none} The same as ::csv::split, but appends the resulting list as a new row to the matrix m, using the method add row. The expansion mode specified via expand determines how the command handles a matrix with less columns than contained in line. The allowed modes are: none This is the default mode. In this mode it is the responsibility of the caller to ensure that the matrix has enough columns to contain the full line. If there are not enough columns the list of values is silently truncated at the end to fit. empty In this mode the command expands an empty matrix to hold all columns of the specified line, but goes no further. The overall effect is that the first of a series of lines determines the number of columns in the matrix and all following lines are truncated to that size, as if mode none was set. auto In this mode the command expands the matrix as needed to hold all columns contained in line. The overall effect is that after adding a series of lines the matrix will have enough columns to hold all columns of the longest line encountered so far. ::csv::split2queue q line {sepChar ,} The same as ::csv::split, but appending the resulting list as a single item to the queue q, using the method put. ::csv::writematrix m chan {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::join taking all rows in the matrix m and writing them CSV formatted into the channel chan. ::csv::writequeue q chan {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::join taking all items in the queue q (assumes that they are lists) and writing them CSV formatted into the channel chan. FORMAT
Each record of a csv file (comma-separated values, as exported e.g. by Excel) is a set of ASCII values separated by ",". For other lan- guages it may be ";" however, although this is not important for this case (The functions provided here allow any separator character). If a value contains itself the separator ",", then it (the value) is put between "". If a value contains ", it is replaced by "". EXAMPLE
The record 123,"123,521.2","Mary says ""Hello, I am Mary""" is parsed as follows: a) 123 b) 123,521.2 c) Mary says "Hello, I am Mary" SEE ALSO
matrix, queue KEYWORDS
csv, matrix, queue, package, tcllib csv 0.3 csv(n)