Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Delimiters with awk?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delimiters with awk? Post 302972818 by RudiC on Wednesday 11th of May 2016 04:28:01 AM
Old 05-11-2016
Try
Code:
awk -F "|" '{sub (/\\\\\|/,"\001"); sub ("\001", "\\\\\|", $3); print $3}' file
Desc
accno\\|123-asda
accno\\|ll3-dfgssda

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - treat multiple delimiters as one

Is there anyway to get awk to treat multiple delimiters as one? Particularly spaces... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

two delimiters with awk, one of them blank

Hello, I need use comma and spaces as field delimiters, but I can't: text: hello myfriend,I need,some help I need something like: awk -F"<blank>|," '{print $1, $3}' Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertogarcia
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK with multiple delimiters

I have the following string sample: bla bla bla bla bla I would like to extract the "123" using awk. I thought about awk -F"]" '{ print $1 }' but it doesn't work Any ideas ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdub
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two delimiters with AWK

Hello, this thread is more about scripting style than a specific issue. I've to grep from a output some lines and from them obtain a specific entry delimited by < and >. This is my way : 1) grep -i user list | awk '{FS="<";print $NF}' | sed -e 's/>//g' 2) grep -i user list | cut -d","... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing two files having different delimiters using awk

hi, i have a file called file1.txt and it's contents are as below: file1.txt: ------- abc,123, thomas dab,234,muller gab,456,ram The lookup file's contents are as below: lookup.txt ---------- abc|japan dcd|US dab|china gab|brazil (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amar1003
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters in awk

Line from input file a : b : c " d " e " f : g : h " i " j " k " l output k b a Its taking 7th word when " is the delimiter, 2nd and 1st word when : is the delimiter and returning all in one line.... I am on solaris Thanks..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use two delimiters in awk

I have a file having lines like: 14: <a="b" val="c"/> 18: <a="x" val="d"/> 54: <a="b" val="c"/> 58: <a="x" val="e"/> I need to create a file with output: 14 d 54 e So basically, for every odd line I need 1st word if delimiter is ':' and for every even... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiple delimiters

Hi Folks, This is the first time I ever encountered this situation My input file is of this kind cat input.txt 1 PAIXAF 0 1 1 -9 0 0 0 1 2 0 2 1 2 1 7 PAIXEM 0 7 1 -9 1 0 2 0 1 2 2 1 0 2 9 PAKZXY 0 2 1 -9 2 0 1 1 1 0 1 2 0 1 Till the sixth column (which is -9), I want my columns to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why awk removes delimiters?

Code : echo "1,2,3,4"|awk -F "," 'NR==n{$3=a}1' n=1 a=45 Output : 1 2 45 4 Expected : 1,2,45,4 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_us
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count The Number Of Delimiters using awk or better

What to know the way to count the number of delimiters in each record by ignoring the escape delimiters. Sample Data: 12345678|ABN\|XYZ MED CHEM PTY. LTD.|C||100.00|22|AB"C\|Corp|"XYZ|CDEF"| I'm using awk -F'|' '{ print NF-1 }' command to find the number of delimiters. this command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrahmaNaiduA
8 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If the file argument is a single dash ('-') or no file arguments were specified, lines are read from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. list is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a number, a dash (-), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, overlapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d string Use the first character of string as the field delimiter character. The default is the <TAB> character. -f list The list specifies fields, separated by the field delimiter character. The selected fields are output, separated by the field delimiter character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppresses lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. EXIT STATUS
cut exits 0 on success, 1 if an error occurred. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
December 21, 2008 BSD