Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping exact pattern and deleting the rows Post 302972181 by RavinderSingh13 on Monday 2nd of May 2016 09:23:09 AM
Old 05-02-2016
Hello am24,

Could you please use following and let me know if this helps.
Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '(substr($1,3,3) != 513 && substr($1,3,3) != 515)' sample > op10

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping 1 line above and below pattern

I have a pattern:: xldn3176bap>arj SOCRATES_MAIN_LNX | grep " FA " 10/04/2007 21:01 10/04/2007 21:01 FA 1776752/1 1 I want the line above this line and the line below it too. Can anyone tell me how it can be done? - iAm4Free (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iAm4Free
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for Exact Strings

ok, apparently this is a very difficult question to answer based on my searches on google that came up fruitless. what i want to do is grep through a file for words that match a specified string. but the thing is, i keep getting all words in the file that have the string in them. say for... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
27 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a pattern in file and deleting th ewhole line containing the pattern

Hi All, Please can someone assist in the script I have made that searches a pattern in a file and delete the whole line containing the pattern. #!bin/sh # The pattern that user want to add to the files echo "Enter the pattern of the redirect" read value # check if the user has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shazin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific rows in large files having rows greater than 100000

Hi Guys, I need help in modifying a large text file containing more than 1-2 lakh rows of data using unix commands. I am quite new to the unix language the text file contains data in a pipe delimited format sdfsdfs sdfsdfsd START_ROW sdfsd|sdfsdfsd|sdfsdfasdf|sdfsadf|sdfasdf... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish2009
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to finding the exact pattern

I have a output like below: A1 B2 C1 D3 A12 B4 A14 I am trying to find A1 by using grep grep -i "A1" But I got (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

merge two tab delimited file with exact same number of rows in unix/linux

Hi I have two tab delimited file with different number of columns but same number of rows. I need to combine these two files in such a way that row 1 in file 2 comes adjacent to row 1 in file 1. For example: The content of file1: field1 field2 field3 a1 a2 a3 b1 b2 b3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mary271
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the exact pattern

My Input : Hi editor this is the exact pattern which we looking for the previous patternmatch My code: awk '/pattern/ { print a } { a = $0 }' Current output : exact previous (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing next two lines from a file after grepping a specific pattern

Hi I have a file like # vi require.txt 1,BANK,Read blocks that cycle. yellow Read blocks. 2,ACCOUNT,Finished Red Finished . 3,LOAN, pipe white pipe 4,PROFIT,Resolve. black Resolve Am using like cat require.txt | grep -w ACCOUNTThe output I get is (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search exact pattern

Hi, I need to search the exact pattern in a file file.txt AUS.txt|AUS.chk NZ.txt|NZ.ch I am getting the result as AUS.txt|AUS.chk with below code but i need only AUS.txt to be printed grep AUS.txt file.txt CODE tags also for data files (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
8 Replies
SUBSTR(3)								 1								 SUBSTR(3)

substr - Return part of a string

SYNOPSIS
string substr (string $string, int $start, [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the portion of $string specified by the $start and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. Must be one character or longer. o $start - If $start is non-negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th position in $string, counting from zero. For instance, in the string ' abcdef', the character at position 0 is ' a', the character at position 2 is ' c', and so forth. If $start is negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th character from the end of $string. If $string is less than or equal to $start characters long, FALSE will be returned. Example #1 Using a negative $start <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", -1); // returns "f" $rest = substr("abcdef", -2); // returns "ef" $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, 1); // returns "d" ?> o $length - If $length is given and is positive, the string returned will contain at most $length characters beginning from $start (depend- ing on the length of $string). If $length is given and is negative, then that many characters will be omitted from the end of $string (after the start position has been calculated when a $start is negative). If $start denotes the position of this trunca- tion or beyond, false will be returned. If $length is given and is 0, FALSE or NULL, an empty string will be returned. If $length is omitted, the substring starting from $start until the end of the string will be returned. Example #2 Using a negative $length <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", 0, -1); // returns "abcde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 2, -1); // returns "cde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 4, -4); // returns false $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, -1); // returns "de" ?> RETURN VALUES
Returns the extracted part of $string; or FALSE on failure, or an empty string. CHANGELOG
+--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ |5.2.2 - 5.2.6 | | | | | | | If the $start parameter indicates the position | | | of a negative truncation or beyond, false is | | | returned. Other versions get the string from | | | start. | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #3 Basic substr(3) usage <?php echo substr('abcdef', 1); // bcdef echo substr('abcdef', 1, 3); // bcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 4); // abcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 8); // abcdef echo substr('abcdef', -1, 1); // f // Accessing single characters in a string // can also be achieved using "square brackets" $string = 'abcdef'; echo $string[0]; // a echo $string[3]; // d echo $string[strlen($string)-1]; // f ?> Example #4 substr(3) casting behaviour <?php class apple { public function __toString() { return "green"; } } echo "1) ".var_export(substr("pear", 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".var_export(substr(54321, 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".var_export(substr(new apple(), 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".var_export(substr(true, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".var_export(substr(false, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".var_export(substr("", 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "7) ".var_export(substr(1.2e3, 0, 4), true).PHP_EOL; ?> The above example will output: 1) 'pe' 2) '54' 3) 'gr' 4) '1' 5) false 6) false 7) '1200' ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Returns FALSE on error. Example #5 <?php var_dump(substr('a', 1)); // bool(false) ?> SEE ALSO
strrchr(3), substr_replace(3), preg_match(3), trim(3), mb_substr(3), wordwrap(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR(3)