Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Need little help in understanding UNIX file system. Post 302970582 by jim mcnamara on Friday 8th of April 2016 09:50:49 AM
Old 04-08-2016
The file/directory structure results from mapping directory contents onto the disk. It is metadata. The hierarchy does not exist at the physical disk level. One physical file can be located in data blocks in unrelated places on a single disk. Same thing for a directory.
inodes are the 'entry' point - kind of like an 'address book' for the physical file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system

Hi, How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system ? Using sendmail. Please help me. :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacca
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding System Vish startup scripts

I'm trying to get a clear picture of how startup scripts are executed during bootup. When run-level N is entered, the scripts in /rcN.d are executed. I understand that the S* scripts are executed in numerical order during bootup. What I don't understand is if the K* scripts are executed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkmatter14B
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Understanding File System

Hey guys im confused with the difference of these filesystems /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin. They all look like the same. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbn
2 Replies

4. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

fork system call understanding

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: i have a problem in understanding the behaviour of fork . i understood fork as to create a new process and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix file system

which one is correct explanaton for unix file system a. Explaining about directory hierarchy or b. Explaining about boot block , super block? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX FILE SYSTEM

Dear All, We are using COMPAQ DS -10 machines with UNIX 4.0F System is behaving abnormal some directories shows full and they should not be . here is df -k output of a machines file system----1024 block-----used--available--capacity--mounted on /dev/rz17h-----8680793----- 1 --- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash.jahangir
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding File System

Can anybody provide me some good articles / links which will help me understand linux file system internals? I want to understand how a file when accessed from user mode through its file name resolves to particular memory location on memory. Where does the super, dentry and inodes come into... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file system to Linux file system migration

We would be migrating UNIX file system to Linux file system. We do have many directory and sub directories with files. after migrating unix to linux file system , i want to make sure all the files has been copied ? What would be the best approach to validate directory ,sub-directory and file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balajikalai
1 Replies
pvremove(1M)															      pvremove(1M)

NAME
pvremove - remove LVM data structure from a physical volume SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The command clears the LVM data structure on a disk, so that it is no longer an LVM physical volume. The device may then be used by the file system or by other volume managers. The operation is denied if pv_path is assigned to a volume group. The command only clears the LVM data structure on a disk if the disk does not belong to a volume group. This avoids accidentally removing a valid physical volume under a volume group. If the physical volume to be removed belongs to a volume group, use the command to first remove the volume group associated with the physical volume. Arguments recognizes the following arguments: pv_path The character (raw) device path name of a physical volume. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Remove LVM data structure on the physical volume SEE ALSO
lvremove(1M), vgremove(1M), intro(7), lvm(7). pvremove(1M)