Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory.? Post 302967927 by RudiC on Tuesday 1st of March 2016 06:17:32 AM
Old 03-01-2016
Does your grep offer the -r option?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search all files and sub directory

I wanted to search in all the sub directories under /vob/project (recurse) in everything inside /vob/project. search.run for x in `cat search.strings` do find /vob/project -type f -print | xargs grep -i $x > ~/$x.txt done search.string hello whoami I am getting the error ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva_jm
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix find command to print directory and search string

Hi i need to print pathname in which the string present using 'find' command sample output like this Pathname String to be searched ---------- -------------------- /usr/test/myfile get /opt/test/somefile get Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: princein
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files in a directory and its subdirectories

Hello my friends, I need to write a simple shell bad file :D that search and delete a file it's name 'Microsoft.txt' in the current directory and its subdirectories? So can you help to guide me how i can write this shell, Just give me the beginning :o thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Net-Man
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Search for string in a directory with binaries exclusion

Hi all, My need is to search for a given string "toto" within a directory, but the search should ignore binary and db files. It is in fact, a combination of xargs grep that I didn't succeed to manage. Let we say that we are under /etc/ and we want to search for all included files (except... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdjebbi
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a text within files in a directory

I need to search for a particular string. This string might be present in many files. The directory in which I am present has more than one subdirectories. Hence, the search should check in all the subdirectories and all the corresponding files and give a list of files which have the particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pakspan
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all the files in a directory for a specific string

Hi Guys, I want to search the content of all the files (of a particular type like .txt) in a directory for a specific string pattern. Can anyone help me? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

logrotate irrespective of the size of a file/directory

hi, How to logrotate irrespective of the size of a file/directory...? Please help me in this regard... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedeepthi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search directory for string and print file name

Good Evening Folks - I have a need to search a specific directory and ALL sub-directories for the following string: Data Load UpdatedIf this string is found, I need to print content from the line directory above it between symbols, as well as the file name where it is found. Here is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search strings from a file in files in a directory recursively; then print the string with a status

Hi All, I hope somebody would be able to help me. I would need to search a string coming from a file, example file.txt: dog cat goat horse fish For every string, I would need to know if there are any files inside a directory(recursively) that contains the string regardless of case.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
9 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)