Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to find blocked process in vmstat? Post 302967878 by sureshsun on Monday 29th of February 2016 02:33:42 PM
Old 02-29-2016
Hi jim mcnamara,

The devices are not NFS mounted.

1. is this a db server?

Yes. It's Sybase server.

2. are you running large reports during the times when interactive processes are also busy updating?

This need to be checked.

3. Can you try the lockfs

Should I run with any options?

@ achenle

I will execute dtrace and update when I see issue next time..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

BitTorrent port 6969 blocked... how to get around the blocked port

Due to the massive Upload speeds killing .... or overstressing our schools network...... my school has blocked port 6969 (the most common BitTorrent port). So I cant connect to the tracker anymore, in other words no more downloading from school :( Does anyone know how I can get around the ports... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PenguinDevil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the chid process id from given parent process id

how to find the chid process id from given parent process id.... (the chid process doesnot have sub processes inturn) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to find memory used by a process

Hi, Can anyone help me out in writing the shell scrip which monitors a process which is running and gives me the output of the memory being used by the process, I have the requirement of monitorig the memory usage of the process when it is running. Please help me out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayagiri
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

vmstat returns good val for cpuIdle put ps shows no active process

hi i'm running a shell script that checks the amount of cpu idle either using /usr/bin/vmstat 1 2 or sar 1 2 (on unixware) before i run some tests(if cpu idle greater than 89 I run them). These tests are run on many platforms, linux(suse, redhat) hp-ux, unixware, aix, solaris, tru64. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: OFFSIHR
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find out how much RAM that process is using

H:confused:ow to find out how much RAM that process is using. like how much memory java.exe process is consuming (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find PID for a process

I want to kill a process run by a user of another group. How do I do that..? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haimanti
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Killed : Need to find why ?

Hi reader, I'm making a tool out of korn shell script that is running on a HP-UX server. But everytime i invoke the tool, it gets killed after a while (mid-process). I have tried re-running it a couple of times but each invocation ending up the same way .. following is a snippet of the o/p... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: clakkad
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Cant find Unix process with ps -ef

Hi All, Heres a little background. We have essbase installed on a solaris server. We are running a report script. The script starts and runs ok.. 1. after some time if i do the ps -ef i can see the process, and it generally completes successfully. 2. Most of the times, when i do the ps with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noufalshaw
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Blocked process and preempt

Hello Everyone, There is a column kthr:b in vmstat. How a process become blocked? If the process calls system call pread and sleeps inside it, is the process blocked in that moment? How a process sleeping because it has no work at all (as Notepad when we are not using it) differs from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
3 Replies

10. Programming

Find parent process (not process ID)

Hi: I have a program written in FORTRAN running on AIX platform. It is because missing of documentation and without root password, therefore we want to modify the program so that we can find out which script/program that call this FORTRAN program. I have google for few days, all of them are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstsang
3 Replies
VMSTAT(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 						 VMSTAT(8)

NAME
vmstat - Report virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vmstat [-n] [delay [ count]] vmstat[-V] DESCRIPTION
vmstat reports information about processes, memory, paging, block IO, traps, and cpu activity. The first report produced gives averages since the last reboot. Additional reports give information on a sampling period of length delay. The process and memory reports are instantaneous in either case. Options The -n switch causes the header to be displayed only once rather than periodically. delay is the delay between updates in seconds. If no delay is specified, only one report is printed with the average values since boot. count is the number of updates. If no count is specified and delay is defined, count defaults to infinity. The -V switch results in displaying version information. FIELD DESCRIPTIONS
Procs r: The number of processes waiting for run time. b: The number of processes in uninterruptable sleep. w: The number of processes swapped out but otherwise runnable. This field is calculated, but Linux never desperation swaps. Memory swpd: the amount of virtual memory used (kB). free: the amount of idle memory (kB). buff: the amount of memory used as buffers (kB). Swap si: Amount of memory swapped in from disk (kB/s). so: Amount of memory swapped to disk (kB/s). IO bi: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s). bo: Blocks received from a block device (blocks/s). System in: The number of interrupts per second, including the clock. cs: The number of context switches per second. CPU These are percentages of total CPU time. us: user time sy: system time id: idle time NOTES
vmstat does not require special permissions. These reports are intended to help identify system bottlenecks. Linux vmstat does not count itself as a running process. All linux blocks are currently 1k, except for CD-ROM blocks which are 2k. FILES
/proc/meminfo /proc/stat /proc/*/stat SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), free(1) BUGS
Does not tabulate the block io per device or count the number of system calls. AUTHOR
Written by Henry Ware <al172@yfn.ysu.edu>. Throatwobbler Ginkgo Labs 27 July 1994 VMSTAT(8)