Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Shared-SMT-4 vs Dedicated-SMT-4 on capped LPAR Post 302967796 by amitlib on Sunday 28th of February 2016 10:14:24 AM
Old 02-28-2016
Shared-SMT-4 vs Dedicated-SMT-4 on capped LPAR

Hi,

I have a POWER8 server running in Processor Implementation Mode: POWER 7.
I have 2 LPAR's, both are capped with 4 cores.

One of them displays:
Code:
Shared-SMT-4

and the other:
Code:
Dedicated-SMT-4

What is the difference when running in capped mode?

Thanks

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-28-2016 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Quote tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Smt

How do you turn SMT(symm multi threading).I think that is what it's called.:) TIA Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Anything like AIX's SMT?

I'm working on a system to monitor a wide-range of Unix platforms, and I'd like to know if HP-UX has anything similar to AIX's SMT (simultaneous multithreading)? If there a way to separate an HP-UX CPU into multiple logical partitions which can then act as multiple CPUs? Thanks in advance, Dave (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveZeltserman
0 Replies

3. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

4. AIX

Enable SMT

How to enable SMT in aix 5.2 ml 9? If i run smtctl it gives error ksh: smtctl: not found. please tell me if SMT is supported in 5.2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
4 Replies

5. Solaris

capped-memory in zone

How does capped-memory work in zones? I have 32G of memory and 10 zones. I want about physical=4G and swap=4G in each zone. Is this possible? I am going over the 32G. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: photon
1 Replies

6. AIX

LPAR freezes after switching of storage (lpar is mirrored)

Hi all, I have the following configuration 2 ds3524 storage disk systems located over 2 locations 2 P720 server located over 2 locations DS3524 are connected to san switch. Each vio server has 1 fc adapter attached to a san switch. per p720 server 2 virtual io servers. Vio 1 has 1 lun... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markiemark
2 Replies

7. Solaris

zone breaching 'capped-memory' threshold

Calling upon all Solaris zone experts. I have a Sun T3-1 that is running a few whole-root zones. I've set the 'capped-memory' setting on all the zones. However, I have a problem on the one zone. Under load it uses more memory that has been allocated to it. zonecfg -z sunrep02 export ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
4 Replies

8. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Finding capped memory of a non global zone

Is there a way to find the capped memory of a solaris non global zone from the non global zone itself (given rcapd is disabled) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: CuriousDev
6 Replies

10. AIX

How to differentiate between a standalone LPAR and a VIOC (which again is a lpar)?

There can be configurations in IBM Server wherein a standalone partition is created on some supported IBM Server Or A VIOS - VIOC LPARs created. Now in both cases they are lpars. But if I want to differentiate b/w a standalone LPAR vs an VIOC LPAR how can I do..? On a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish00712
2 Replies
FPA(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    FPA(4)

NAME
fpa, fea, fta -- DEC FDDI interface driver SYNOPSIS
fpa* at pci? dev ? function ? fea* at eisa? slot ? alpha and pmax fta* at tc? slot ? offset ? DESCRIPTION
Cards supported by the fpa, fea and fta device driver are: DEFPA DEC PCI FDDI Controller DEFEA DEC EISA FDDI Controller DEFTA DEC TURBOchannel FDDI Controller respectively. All variants of either controller are supported including the DAS and SAS configurations. DIAGNOSTICS
fea%d: error: desired IRQ of %d does not match device's actual IRQ (%d) The device probe detected that the DEFEA board is configured for a different interrupt than the one specified in the kernel configuration file. fea%d: error: memory not enabled! ECU reconfiguration required The device probe found that no device memory had been configured on the DEFEA. The DEFEA can be configured with no device memory, this driver requires a minimum of 1K device memory be set up. The ECU (EISA Con- figuration Utility) will need to be run to change the settings. SEE ALSO
arp(4), netintro(4), ifconfig(8) AUTHORS
The fpa, fea and fta device driver and manual page were written by Matt Thomas. BUGS
Normally, the device driver will not enable the reception of SMT frames. However if the IFF_LINK1 flag is set, the device driver will enable the reception of SMT frames and pass them up to the Berkeley Packet Filter for processing. BSD
March 13, 1995 BSD