Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Case statement in UNIX shell script Post 302967360 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 23rd of February 2016 07:29:03 AM
Old 02-23-2016
Could you write out the logical flow you are trying to achieve? It's all a bit confused and mixed up with which are variables and which are files. str3 is written to as a file and then you try to use it as a variable.

If you read in a variable fil and you are looking to test if it has a leading hyphen - then you can more simply do something like this:-

Code:
read "enter a file: "?fil
not_first="${fil#?}"              # Trim off first character from input
first="${fil%$notfirst}"          # Trim off all the other characters from input

case "$first" in.......

Does that help? If the statements don't make sense, then let me know and I will explain them.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script automation using case statement

Hi, I'm trying to write a shell script that has a menu and then dependant on the selection, will automate some samba file transfer. The problem is when I run the code without the case statement it runs fine. but when I put the case statement in the only way I can get the code to run is to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is problem with this small shell script.. case statement related

Hi All, this small script is written to recognize user input character.. it is in small case .. upeer case or is a number... but when i input first capital letter say A.. it always gives small character.... what is the problem. #!/bin/bash echo "Enter the character" read a case $a in )... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnray31
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script case statement

In a case statement like below : case $rental in "car") echo "For $rental Rs.20 per k/m";; "van") echo "For $rental Rs.10 per k/m";; "jeep") echo "For $rental Rs.5 per k/m";; "bicycle") echo "For $rental 20 paisa per k/m";; *) echo "Sorry, I can not gat a $rental for you";;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

case statement in UNIX scripting (ksh)

Hi, I have a script like below : #!/bin/ksh echo "Do you want to export all docs ?" read alld echo "Do you want to export template or report only " read temr case && ] #arguments ;; case && ] #arguments ;; case && ] #arguments ;; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell case statement

echo -e "Select: \c" read IN pattern="1-20" case $IN in ) echo "Selected: $IN" ;; *) echo "Invalid selection: $IN" ;; esac # sh test Select: 10 Invalid selection: 10 # sh test Select: 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble in getting user input while using CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous menu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on case to call recursively in UNIX Shell Script

Hi, I am New to Unix Shell Scripting basically, i need some help in achieving a case statement in Shell script to call recursively That is if case having like 1 2 3 4 options , if user inputs 1 and gets executed case should ask for options again but user should not input the same input value 1,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell to generate case statement

Hi Gurus, I have a very weird requirement and have no clue to resolve the issue. please help me get out this difficulty below two tables, table1 contains the column name. D means this column used for the rule. for example: rule 0 is all columns have value, rule1 is col3 and col7 have no value.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torhong
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting with case statement

Foe example we have three environments int,qa and prod.Each environment has some number of servers. int=Server1,Server2,Server3 qa=Server4,Server5,Server6 prod=Server7,Server8,Server9 echo "Enter the Environment i.e int,qa,prod" read env case $env in int) ## Need command where all the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nareshreddy443
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
euctoibmj(1)							   User Commands						      euctoibmj(1)

NAME
euctoibmj, ibmjtoeuc - Code conversion between Japanese EUC and IBM-Japanese SYNOPSIS
euctoibmj [-t] [-u code] [-U] [filename...] ibmjtoeuc [-u code] [-U] [filename...] AVAILABILITY
SUNWjfpu DESCRIPTION
euctoibmj converts the contents of the specified filenames from ASCII/ Japanese EUC to EBCDIC/IBM-Japanese. ibmjtoeuc converts the con- tents of the specified filenames from EBCDIC/IBM-Japanese to ASCII/ Japanese EUC. The both commands write the resultant code to stdout. If filename is not given, input characters are read from the standard input. For Japanese language handling, the euctoibmj/ibmjtoeucj pair of commands provide conversion only between the two code standards. Code con- version among Japanese EUC, JIS, and PC kanji are supported by another set of commands, jistoeuc(1) family or iconv(1). OPTIONS
-u code With this option specified, characters in one code set that do not have corresponding characters in the other are mapped to the code given in four-digit hexadecimal HOST CODE of IBM Japanese (for euctoibmj) or in four-digit JIS Ku-Ten code (for ibmjtoeuc). Without this option, such characters are mapped to HOST CODE 4040 (for euctoibmj) or JIS Ku-Ten code 0101 (for ibmjtoeuc). -U The output is not buffered (The default is buffered output). -t With this option specified, euctoibmj translates Half-Size Katakana (Code Set 2) in Japanese EUC to the corresponding characters in Code Set 1 prior to conversion. Without this option, Code Set 2 characters in Japanese EUC are processed to the illegal charac- ter. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The environment variables LC_CTYPE and LANG control the character classification throughout these commands. For euctoibmj and ibmjtoeuc to work correctly, one or both of the environment variables must be set to ja or an equivalent locale. On entry to these commands, these envi- ronment variables are checked in the following order: LC_CTYPE and LANG. When a valid value is found, remaining environment variables for character classification are ignored. FILES
/usr/lib/jcodetables/ibmj-euc Code conversion table for IBM Japanese. SEE ALSO
iconv(1), jistoeuc(1), iconv_ja(5) DIAGNOSTICS
unexpected data encountered in input. Illegal character code is found in input file. BUGS
The ASCII/EBCDIC conversion table are taken from the 256 character standard in the CACM Nov, 1968. The conversion, while less blessed as a standard, corresponds better to certain IBM print train convertions. There is no universal solution. The Japanese EUC/IBM Japanese conversion table is based on the IBM Kanji codebook (4th edition - September 1987), JIS X 0201, and JIS X 0208-1983. If JIS X 0212 caracter set is specified as input, euctoibmj can not support the conversion correctly. SunOS 5.10 10 Jan 2003 euctoibmj(1)