Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX 0514-516 Device Configuration Database Lock Service Post 302967022 by bakunin on Thursday 18th of February 2016 05:11:14 PM
Old 02-18-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent.kgb
kill -9 helps sometimes.
In principle, yes, but isn't that a little over-enthusiastic? I tend to try kill -15 always first and only if the process in question is poorly written (and doesn't honour the signal) use kill -9 as a last resort.

The difference is that -15 gives the process to be ended a chance to clean up after itself: remove temporary files, remove allocated shared memory segments, remove opened sockets, ..., whereas -9 is a - to the process external - headshot.

Its suicide versus kill and, as we all know since the days of M.A.S.H, suicide is painless ... ;-))

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that reads from configuration file to get database

Hi intelligent beings, I am trying to write a script that 1. Accepts the following arguments: store_number div_number user_id div_code 2. Will read from a configuration file to get the Database 3. Use the div_code to determine which value to retrieve from the configuration file ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolo21taf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Database Service Names

Hi Everyone, I want to know which database (Oracle,SQL,Informix...) are installed on Unix Machine. I have very limited experience on Unix Environment, :confused: So I have no idea of getting this information. But in windows we can get Service names using WMI. Is there any similar way of Doing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Oracle Database and HTTPD Web Service

Hi, I have a Solaris 5.6 having an Oracle database.Now this server is being accessed by a web service interface.I cannot see anything other than httpd daemons running on my server. There is a frequent problem of the stopping of these httpd daemons . Now i am asked to find the root case.I talked... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
1 Replies

4. AIX

cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING

Dear all i have a sun SL500 tape library attached to my AIX box while issue the command cfgmgr i have the below issue test>cfgmgr cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required for device support but are not currently installed. devices.fcp.changer please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
3 Replies

5. Linux

Could not open the lock database - Apache WebDAV setup

I configured a WebDAV server using Apache. Here is my configuration: DAVLockDB /var/www/DAVLock.db <Location /majid> AllowOverride None Options +Indexes DAV On AuthUserFile /var/www/users.db AuthName Authentication AuthType Basic <Limit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

sftp configuration | to lock users to their home folder.

In generally I use vsftp but I want to improve our security so I decide to use sftp instead of vsftp. We know that ssh,scp and sftp are in openssh server. How can I lock only sftp user to their home folder? And to prevent some users for sftp like root as such in vsftp daemon? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
3 Replies

7. AIX

Cannot get shared lock on database for rpm on AIX 6.1

Hello, I was trying to install python on aix and it was taking too long and I closed the terminal. Now when i issue the command rpm -qa instead of getting all the rpms installed I'm getting the following error. root:stud -> $ rpm -qa cannot get shared lock on database rpmQuery: rpmdbOpen()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaugeta
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

[nmcli] Where is the configuration file of device (redhat 7)

OS is redhat 7. # nmcli dev DEVICE TYPE STATE CONNECTION virbr0 bridge disconnected -- eno16777736 ethernet disconnected -- eno33554960 ethernet disconnected -- virbr0-nic ethernet disconnected -- lo ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tien86
1 Replies
KILL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - terminate a process with extreme prejudice SYNOPSIS
kill [ -sig ] processid ... kill -l DESCRIPTION
Kill sends the TERM (terminate, 15) signal to the specified processes. If a signal name or number preceded by `-' is given as first argu- ment, that signal is sent instead of terminate (see sigvec(2)). The signal names are listed by `kill -l', and are as given in /usr/include/signal.h, stripped of the common SIG prefix. The terminate signal will kill processes that do not catch the signal; `kill -9 ...' is a sure kill, as the KILL (9) signal cannot be caught. By convention, if process number 0 is specified, all members in the process group (i.e. processes resulting from the current login) are signaled (but beware: this works only if you use sh(1); not if you use csh(1).) Negative process numbers also have special meanings; see kill(2) for details. The killed processes must belong to the current user unless he is the super-user. The process number of an asynchronous process started with `&' is reported by the shell. Process numbers can also be found by using ps(1). Kill is a built-in to csh(1); it allows job specifiers of the form ``%...'' as arguments so process id's are not as often used as kill arguments. See csh(1) for details. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigvec(2) BUGS
A replacement for ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 20, 1986 KILL(1)