Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grub Bootloader & CentOS
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Grub Bootloader & CentOS Post 302965230 by Aia on Monday 25th of January 2016 05:47:08 PM
Old 01-25-2016
In case you do not know yet:
You cannot upgrade from CentOS 6.x to CentOS 7.x. You'll have to perform a replacement of OS.
CentosOS 6.x has Grub legacy. CentOS 7.x has Grub2. They are not the same. You might not get away without learning how these two bootloader work so you can translate what you have in 6.x to 7.x

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

CentOS, Fedora & RedHat in 1 box

Hi Linux gurus, My boss had asked me to setup a box consisting of this 3 OS (CentOS, Fedora, RedHat) for autopatching. So, whenever there is new patches for CentOS from the internet, this box will grab it, implement it, if tested ok and approved, the patches will then be push to Production... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: raybakh
23 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grub problem- keeps rebooting as soon as it tries to do grub

Hi, I installed solaris 10 a few weeks ago. It was working fine during the past two weeks. However, now when I start to load to the drive, I get this problem: The BIOS screen comes up like normal, then screen goes blank and a message "Grub loading stage 2" flashes real quick then the computer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moesays
1 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

virtualization in RHEL 5.3 & Centos 5.3

Hi I would like to know how to do virtualization in Rhel 5.3 and Cent os 5.3, As i am new this Virtualization need guidence how to install and configure guest os in Rhel and Cent Os can some one guide me step by step Regards Solaris8in (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris8in
1 Replies

4. Linux

Bootloader problem Grub.

Hello, I have some questions about my Mandriva Linux. My father died last year and so I got automatically forced to use Linux (master computer). I have become a little bit known with it, had to reset the root password via command lines etc. But I have some problems I can't solve on my own. In... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blabla9002
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bootloader problem Grub.

Bootloader problem Grub. Hello, I have some questions about my Mandriva Linux. My father died last year and so I got automatically forced to use Linux (master computer). I have become a little bit known with it, had to reset the root password via command lines etc. But I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: blabla9002
11 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Dual boot XP and Centos 5.x using the NTLDR bootloader

How can one dual boot Windows XP sp2 and Centos 5.x using the NTLDR bootloader? I wanted to install CentOS onto a spare partition on a machine with Windows XP already installed, leaving the MBR as it was and using the NTLDR bootloader. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Can we specify which grub.conf to use in grub-install.

Hi, Can we specify which grub.conf to use while installing grub on RHEL. We are working on application which requires different grub configurations needed, depending on certain criteria we need to update grub with correct grub.conf. Can we use grub-install for this purpose? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: successlin
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to Upgrade Centos 5.7 using Centos 5.8 ISO image on Vmware workstation

Dear Linux Experts, On my windows 7 desktop with the help of Vmware workstation (Version 7.1), created virtual machine and installed Centos 5.7 successfully using ISO image. Query : Is this possible to upgrade the Centos 5.7 using Centos 5.8 ISO image to Centos version 5.8?.. if yes kindly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthcn
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

How do I re-install my bootloader?

I accidently altered my partition table. Somehow I wiped it out completely and changed the disk label. Before I rebooted I managed to rebuild it the way it originally was using the original structure and label however I need to re-install a new bootloader for the new MBR. I have Ubuntu 14.04TLS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: project722
1 Replies

10. Linux

Centos 7.2 Convert single LVM to RAID Mirror Reinstall BootLoader

Hello, I am trying to convert a single-drive Centos 7.2 installation with LVM into a two-disk mdadm mirror with mrrored LVM. I was able to follow the excellent instructions at: http://www.dgoradia.com/creating-a-raid1-mirrored-on-an-existing-centos-on-lvm/and did create a two-disk mirror... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
1 Replies
WIPE(1) 							     LAM TOOLS								   WIPE(1)

NAME
wipe - Shutdown LAM. SYNTAX
wipe [-bdhv] [-n <#>] [<bhost>] OPTIONS
-b Assume local and remote shell are the same. This means that only one remote shell invocation is used to each node. If -b is not used, two remote shell invocations are used to each node. -d Turn on debugging mode. This implies -v. -h Print the command help menu. -v Be verbose. -n <#> Wipe only the first <#> nodes. DESCRIPTION
This command has been deprecated in favor of the lamhalt command. wipe should only be necessary if lamhalt fails and is unable to clean up the LAM run-time environment properly. The wipe tool terminates the LAM software on each of the machines specified in the boot schema, <bhost>. wipe is the topology tool that terminates LAM on the UNIX(tm) nodes of a multicomputer system. It invokes tkill(1) on each machine. See tkill(1) for a description of how LAM is terminated on each node. The <bhost> file is a LAM boot schema written in the host file syntax. CPU counts in the boot schema are ignored by wipe. See bhost(5). Instead of the command line, a boot schema can be specified in the LAMBHOST environment variable. Otherwise a default file, bhost.def, is used. LAM searches for <bhost> first in the local directory and then in the installation directory under etc/. wipe does not quit if a particular remote node cannot be reached or if tkill(1) fails on any node. A message is printed if either of these failures occur, in which case the user should investigate the cause of failure and, if necessary, terminate LAM by manually executing tkill(1) on the problem node(s). In extreme cases, the user may have to terminate individual LAM processes with kill(1). wipe will terminate after a limited number of nodes if the -n option is given. This is mainly intended for use by lamboot(1), which invokes wipe when a boot does not successfully complete. EXAMPLES
wipe -v mynodes Shutdown LAM on the machines described in the boot schema, mynodes. Report about important steps as they are done. FILES
$LAMHOME/etc/lam-bhost.def default boot schema file SEE ALSO
recon(1), lamboot(1), tkill(1), bhost(5), lam-helpfile(5) LAM 6.5.8 November, 2002 WIPE(1)