Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Maximum length of a string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Maximum length of a string Post 302963003 by tricampeon81 on Tuesday 22nd of December 2015 09:12:12 AM
Old 12-22-2015
Maximum length of a string

good friends days

I would love to know if I can help you know the length of a string

example:
Code:
cadena= "cual es mi largo"

echo "cadena : $cadena#

cadena :16

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum file name length

Hi folks, Can anybody tell me whether there is any limit on the file name length and directory name length in UNIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkkiran
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Command Length for Korn shell

What is the maximum size of a command which can be given in telnet command prompt in unixfor Korn shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Command Length

What is the maximum size of a command which can be given in telnet command prompt in unix? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the maximum length of th os-command line in Unix.

Hi All, I didn't find any thread that match this question so I hope it's not redundant. I am totally new to Unix. I want to know what is the maximum length of the os-commandline in Unix. Will it cause any problem if I run any application whose total path length is much longer than 256... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumardesai
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum length of a path given as an argument to a shell script

hi, I am using solaris10. I have to write a bourne shell script, which copies files for the said destination path which is passed as an argument to the script. it looks like this myscript.sh /var/test -->destination path now i would like to know what is the maximum length i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the maximum length of a unix shell variable which can be can passed to plsql

what is the maximum length of a unix shell variable which can be can passed to plsql variable:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to increase the maximum record length

Hi, I need to create a file of record length more than 300 characters. But in my unix box, i am able to create a file only with a maximum of 256 characters per record. Is there anyway i can create a file with more than 300 characters in this case? Or How to increase the maximum record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahish20
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum command length in bourne shell

Hi, I wanted to know what is the maximum length of command which can be run on a bourne (sh) shell? Where can I find that information? Is it different for different OS flavors? Please help. Thanks, Vineet (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a maximum length for a shell script command?

Is there a maximum length for a shell script command? How can I detect that in my OS? For example, if I have something like: command A | command B | command C | awk '{print $1 $2 $3 $4 $5}' then can we break the commands and also the arguments inside awk ? Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
11 Replies

10. Programming

Maximum length of a line

How can I change the maximum length of a programming line in fortran and C (specifically in fortran 77)? Seems the default maximum length is 72 in fortran 77. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
4 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)