Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX Virtualization Rights
Operating Systems AIX AIX Virtualization Rights Post 302960581 by bakunin on Tuesday 17th of November 2015 06:12:46 AM
Old 11-17-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaelmsx
If I understood correctly, there's really no limitation on the number of LPARs I can create and install AIX on it, what is licensed are the processor cores and just that.
Yes, correct. As MichaelFelt and agent.kgb already explained, there is no legal limit on how many LPARs you create out of your licensed cores. There are some thechnical restrictions (like the 0.05 proc limit for LPARs, as Michael explained) and the resulting LPARs created with that minimum will not be exactly high-performance, but otherwise you are free to do whatever you want.

Notice, though, that this is only half of the story, and because you seem to be in the process of setting up a project i'd like to tell you the answers to a question you didn't ask:

For a p-Series system to work you may need updates to the systems microcode (think of that as the rough equivalent of a BIOS in PCs) and you will get that only from IBM as long as your system is under a service contract. Take that into consideration when planning your costs. Btw., the same is true for the *L-systems, which are identical to the normal systems save for they are restricted to run only Linux (or, at least, not AIX) in their microcode.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Groups Rights

I just created a group. How do i make the groups read only to a specific file systems.(home directory). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niasdad
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

User rights

I wan to create a user e.g. Tom. whenever a file is created by user Tom or FTP is done using user as Tom, the rights on the file should be 777 (by default). how can I achieve this. Please help. Its very urgent. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharmavr
1 Replies

3. AIX

AIX Virtualization question for non-AIX user

Hello, My first post to the Unix forums, thanks for having me! The division of the company I work for uses a xseries/redhat/VMWareServer solution to make sure that we keep hardware overhead low and use our machines to as near capacity as we can. These boxes are Intel with usually dual or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greenteabagger
1 Replies

4. Solaris

FTP rights

How can I prevent some users from using FTP? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Burhan
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX virtualization: IVM initial network setup

I have a system model 505 p server. I am trying to virtualize my server. My network admin has given me 10 IP addresses (with the DNS already updated with names that map onto each ip). E.g.: IP1 maps to m1.lab, IP2 maps to m2.lab, etc I have been following the redpaper "Integrated Virtualization... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsaix
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access Rights

Hello Guru, I have very unique requirement , need some help. I have one folder created in one the server A. In this folder , the file getting uploaded from some java based page. then i am calling scp through key file, which works fine in another folder of server B. Currently , what i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u263066
2 Replies

7. AIX

GNU/GCC on AIX server without Root rights

Hello I'm new to this Forum and I've got a big Problem. Currently I have to Install Bacula ( Backup Software) on a IBM machine(with AIX 5.3) via SSH there is no chance for me for a directly interaction with the Server. The Main problem is, I don't have Root access and no chance to get it. And... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxkoch
5 Replies

8. AIX

need advice on AIX virtualization

Hi all, first of all, beg your pardon for dummy questions. Please help me to sort it out. I'm an internal consultant in a technology unit, and currently we are relocating some applications to another Data Center. In the old Data Center, applications are running on IBM AIX, mostly AIX 5.3. The... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishango
10 Replies

9. AIX

New to aix virtualization direction ?

picked up a 9111-520 p5 hardware recently with 8 Gig of RAM, lots of internal disk space...6 x 140 gig had 7.1 pre-installed, and managed to upgrade the firmware to latest SF240_xxxx goal is to virtualize this and have LPARs running aix 7.1, 6.x, and Rhat for ppc .. need some... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
13 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

user rights

good evening .. I have a plea, who I can help me with a management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux I need for college .. .. and not told us no clue .. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex90
1 Replies
virt-copy-out(1)					      Virtualization Support						  virt-copy-out(1)

NAME
virt-copy-out - Copy files and directories out of a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-copy-out -a disk.img /file|dir [/file|dir ...] localdir virt-copy-out -d domain /file|dir [/file|dir ...] localdir DESCRIPTION
"virt-copy-out" copies files and directories out of a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. You can give one of more filenames and directories on the command line. Directories are copied out recursively. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a virtual machine: mkdir homes virt-copy-out -d MyGuest /home homes JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "copy-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), virt-tar-out(1), http://libguestfs.org/. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011-2012 Red Hat Inc. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. BUGS
To get a list of bugs against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools To report a new bug against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools When reporting a bug, please supply: o The version of libguestfs. o Where you got libguestfs (eg. which Linux distro, compiled from source, etc) o Describe the bug accurately and give a way to reproduce it. o Run libguestfs-test-tool(1) and paste the complete, unedited output into the bug report. libguestfs-1.22.6 2013-08-24 virt-copy-out(1)