Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vim compatible
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Vim compatible Post 302960378 by bakunin on Saturday 14th of November 2015 05:23:55 PM
Old 11-14-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsac
Please see attached image.I am in insert mode when I clicked the screenshot but I dont see the syntax prompt at the bottom of the screen.Also on starting this editor it says I am in vim compatible mode.
vi (the real vi, not the clones) is configured in the file ~/.exrc. vim will use that file too if it is present.

vim has a configuration file of its own too, it is located in ~/.vimrc. I don't know what happens if you have both, so i suggest you use only one of them. Both files work the same and use the same configuration syntax.

Traditional configuration in vi is done in two ways: there are on/off options like switch line-numbers on or off. The "off" is done by prepending "no" in front of the option name, for example, said line numbers:

Code:
set lines
set nolines

These options can also be issued from the command prompt in vi so you can test them before putting them into the rc-file.

Other options take a value, like "shiftwidth", "sw" for short. These are set this way:

Code:
set sw=5

Here is a sample, my configuration, which resembles the real vi as much as possible:

Code:
" my .exrc file
" every line introduced with a double quote is a comment
set terse
set noshowmode
set noshowmatch
set nonovice
set noruler
set nohlsearch
set nomodeline
set noflash
set sw=5
set ai

To enable the display of the current mode the editor is in use:

Code:
set showmode

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print Servers compatible with Solaris

Does anyone have any advice on what print servers to use with Solaris I used to use intel but they dicontinued the model we used. I would just use lpadmin to set them up . Any advice on this would be very helpful. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xmildx
2 Replies

2. Linux

VPN compatible with NAT

Hey, i was wondering if anybody knew of a good VPN that is compatible with nat? If a VPN will not work with NAT could it work with PAT? Right now i'm using RH9. I wanted to use IPsec but i don't think that is compatiable with nat or pat. Please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks, Byblyk. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
0 Replies

3. Linux Benchmarks

Gd2 not compatible with Clientexec

Dear Frnds We are having WHM Cpanel in which many website are their , one of our customer want to install Clientexec software which requires GD2.0.28(compatible) library which is installed. The problem is libpng version which is incompatible with the GD library . Please kindly... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naik_mit
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

winzip compatible command

Dear friends, I m new to Unix, can anybody please guide me on how to zip and password protect a normal text (or any file) in unix prompt? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: topgear1000cc
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

6. Hardware

is rhel 6 compatible with dell xps 14

is rhel 6 compatible with dell xps 14.I tried to install it but could not install.Installation hanged at detecting hardware (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamapraveen
1 Replies

7. Hardware

Trying to find a compatible OS for an old computer

Hello A friend and I recently got our hands on an old computer (a rainbow '83 I think), cleaned it, etc... And now we're trying to get the thing running. The problem is that the included OS is badly documented, so I thought of installing an old version of UNIX on it. So the questions are: Is that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijiboom
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To make my script multi-os compatible

Hi, I would like to make my script multi-os compatible and I am having problems to make it work. I would like it to be compatible with those 4 linux versions : Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Centos. I am mostly confused when it comes to the repository installation and the different os... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gaaara
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a perl-compatible regex solution

This is for PHP preg_match code - which is PCRE therefore looking for a perl compatible suggestion I have this line returned I want to match and return.. I want to match the two instances of string ending 'ABCXYZ' into an array. And on second element (ie. RootABCXYZ) only return the word... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compatible awk command

the following command works beautifully. it basically grabs the content of a file from First to End, then excludes any lines containing specific patterns. awk '/^First/,/^End$/ {if (!/#\/bin\/sh|not.*commonly|#/) print}' datafile. i never had any issues with the command until I ran it on a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
VI(1)							      General Commands Manual							     VI(1)

NAME
vi - screen oriented (visual) display editor based on ex SYNOPSIS
vi [ -t tag ] [ -r ] [ +command ] [ -l ] [ -wn ] name ... DESCRIPTION
Vi (visual) is a display oriented text editor based on ex(1). Ex and vi run the same code; it is possible to get to the command mode of ex from within vi and vice-versa. The Vi Quick Reference card and the Introduction to Display Editing with Vi provide full details on using vi. FILES
See ex(1). SEE ALSO
ex (1), edit (1), ``Vi Quick Reference'' card, ``An Introduction to Display Editing with Vi''. AUTHOR
William Joy Mark Horton added macros to visual mode and is maintaining version 3 BUGS
Software tabs using ^T work only immediately after the autoindent. Left and right shifts on intelligent terminals don't make use of insert and delete character operations in the terminal. The wrapmargin option can be fooled since it looks at output columns when blanks are typed. If a long word passes through the margin and onto the next line without a break, then the line won't be broken. Insert/delete within a line can be slow if tabs are present on intelligent terminals, since the terminals need help in doing this cor- rectly. Saving text on deletes in the named buffers is somewhat inefficient. The source command does not work when executed as :source; there is no way to use the :append, :change, and :insert commands, since it is not possible to give more than one line of input to a : escape. To use these on a :global you must Q to ex command mode, execute them, and then reenter the screen editor with vi or open. 3rd Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 VI(1)