Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Domain registrars & DNS servers Post 302959572 by coolatt on Wednesday 4th of November 2015 01:24:05 PM
Old 11-04-2015
Linux Domain registrars & DNS servers

I have read many tutorials on bind and i understand the A,MX, CNAME records.

Internally, on a LAN we can install bind and create all these records and we can tell all PC and servers to use this bind as DNS server.that's fine.

On the Internet, when we have purchased a valid domain like somedomain.com, from a domain registrar, we are given the choice on which name servers we want the domain to be hosted.

am a bit confused here about this process.what's the name of the server that says for domain somedomain.com use these nameservers. ?

if this would not be the case, then anyone could just install bind on a public server and put whatever records they want for the domain somedomain.com

please clarify this for me.

Last edited by coolatt; 11-04-2015 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: formatting

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Dns Servers

My only question is Can we have two auteritative Name servers for a single domain? Just a question. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjm
1 Replies

2. Solaris

change dns (domain name)

hi gurus, need to check other than the hosts file, what else i need to change after we have changed the domain name in our company. currently, we are using olddnsname.com and will change it to newdnsname.com. i am not sure where else in solaris i need to take a look. please advise. thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kim_custodio
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Select DNS Servers depending on the domain

Hello, I'm using CentOS 5.3, and I connect to a VPN in order to work. The problem is that I'm constantly accessing things on the local network and the remote network. But once I'm connected to the VPN I can't access local addresses by name, I have to use the ip-address. What I'd like is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martincastell
4 Replies

4. Linux

Configuring dns in local domain

Hi everybody, for revolving local host name of my network, I set up an dns server to solve my problem, but til now, nothing happen when I ping a hostname, but work on IP. Can you help me to correct the configuration. Here is all my settings: Voici mes fichiers de configuration: -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beloge2002
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Stop samba from querying trusted domain servers

Hi, We've got a samba server running in our DMZ. Our users drag & drop files on it for vendors. Everything was working perfectly until the powers that be decided to build a trust between a couple of internal domains. Samba is now querying each server in the trust. When a user browses... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to flush specific domain in SunOS 5 DNS

Hello to all, May you help saying me how to flush a specific domain in Linux SunOS5 I know the command rndc is to flush DNS cache, but I would like to know: 1- How to do a flush only on specific domain 2- How to see the content of DNS Resolver cache (similar to info given by IPCONFIG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing hosting company for one domain, how to deal with DNS?

Hello, Our organization is planning to move one domain from Dreamhost to Hubspot. Lets say, it is gem.xyxyxyxyx.com. Please note, website is not being migrated from one server to another, it is just hosting company. Here is from our internal DNS master server - # cat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux is not appending domain name in DNS query

In my /etc/resolv.conf file there is domain name defined. But when I do nslookup the domain name is not appended. Why? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: broy32000
18 Replies
ypbind(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 ypbind(8)

NAME
ypbind - NIS binding process SYNOPSIS
ypbind [ -c ] [ -d|-debug ] [ -broadcast ] [ -broken-server ] [ -ypset ] [ -ypsetme ] [ -no-ping ] [ -f configfile ] ypbind --version DESCRIPTION
ypbind finds the server for NIS domains and maintains the NIS binding information. The client (normaly the NIS routines in the standard C library) could get the information over RPC from ypbind or read the binding files. The binding files resides in the directory /var/yp/bind- ing and are conventionally named [domainname].[version]. The supported versions are 1 and 2. There could be several such files since it is possible for an NIS client to be bound to more then one domain. After a binding has been established, ypbind will send YPPROC_DOMAIN requests to the current NIS server at 20 seconds intervals. If it doesn't get an response or the NIS server tells that he doesn't has this domain any longer, ypbind will search a new NIS server. All 15 minutes ypbind will check, if the current NIS server is the fastest. If it find a server which answers faster, it will switch to this server. You could tell ypbind to use network broadcasts to find a new server, what is insecure, or you could give it a list of known, secure servers. In this case ypbind will send a ping to all server and binds to first one which answers. Unless the option -debug is used, ypbind detaches itself from the controlling terminal and puts itself into background. ypbind uses for logging errors and warnings. At startup or when receiving signal SIGHUP, ypbind parses the file /etc/yp.conf and tries to use the entries for its initial binding. Valid entries are domain nisdomain server hostname Use server hostname for the domain nisdomain. You could have more then one entry of this type for a single domain. domain nisdomain broadcast Use broadcast on the local net for domain nisdomain. ypserver hostname Use server server for the local domain. A broadcast entry in the configuration file will overwrite a ypserver/server entry and a ypserver/server entry broadcast. If all given server are down, ypbind will not switch to use broadcast. ypbind will try at first /etc/hosts and then DNS for resolving the hosts names from /etc/yp.conf. If ypbind couldn't reconfigure the search order, it will use only DNS. If DNS isn't available, you could only use IP- addresses in /etc/hosts. ypbind could only reconfigure the search order with glibc 2.x. If the -broadcast option is specified, ypbind will ignore the configuration file. If the file does not exist or if there are no valid entries, ypbind exit. This ypbind is a special version which uses pthreads. It will start 2 more threads. The master process services RPC requests asking for binding info. The first thread initializes the binding and checks it periodically. Upon failure, the binding is invalidated and the process tries again to find a valid server. The second thread will handle all the signals. OPTIONS
-broadcast Send a broadcast to request the information needed to bind to a specific NIS server. With this option, /etc/yp.conf will be ignored. -ypset Allow root from any remote machine to change the binding for a domain via the ypset(8) command. By default, no one can change the binding. This option is really insecure. If you change a binding for a domain, all the current known servers for this domain will be forgotten. If the new server goes down, ypbind will use the old searchlist. -ypsetme The same as -ypset, but only root on the local machine is allowed to chang the binding. Such requests are only allowd from loopback. -c ypbind only checks if the config file has syntax errors and exits. -debug starts ypbind in debug mode. ypbind will not put itself into background, and error messages and debug output are written to stan- dard error. -broken-server lets ypbind accept answers from servers running on an illegal port number. This should usually be avoided, but is required by some ypserv(8) versions. -no-ping ypbind will not check if the binding is alive. This option is for use with dialup connections to prevent ypbind from keeping the connection unnessecarily open or causing autodials. -f configfile ypbind will use configfile and not /etc/yp.conf --version Prints the version number NOTES
Binding to multiple domains is tested and works. Load sharing between multiple servers for a single domain is not supported. ypbind will always try to bind a domain to a server. If there is no valid server in the list or answers to a broadcast, the domain is unbounded. FILES
/etc/yp.conf configuration file. /var/yp/binding/[domainname].[version] binding file containing information about each NIS domain. /var/run/ypbind.pid contains the process id of the currently running ypbind master process. SEE ALSO
syslog(3), domainname(1), ypdomainname(8), ypwhich(1), ypserv(8), ypset(8) AUTHOR
ypbind-mt was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>. ypbind-mt Version 1.11 April 2002 ypbind(8)