Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing apostrophes by using awk Post 302958820 by MadeInGermany on Monday 26th of October 2015 04:56:59 PM
Old 10-26-2015
With colors you can easily see the the escaped ' outside the 'strings':
Code:
awk '
BEGIN { tck="'"'"'" }
{ print tck "hello world" tck }'

I usually prefer the '\'' escape:
Code:
awk '
BEGIN { tck="'\''" }
{ print tck "hello world" tck }'

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printing

Hello, I am trying to write a formatted report into a file using .ksh script and awk. Here is the command I am trying to run echo "before awk" ${SRC_SCHEMA} echo | awk '{printf "%-20s", ${SRC_SCHEMA} }' >>$REPORT_SQL_NAME I get the following error before awk ADW awk: 0602-562 Field $()... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include a variable between apostrophes within a command

Hi. I'm trying to find some words within my directory and created a text file containing them which is read by my shell script: #!/bin/bash var=`cat words.txt` for i in $var; do echo $i find -type f -print0 | xargs -r0 grep -F '$i' done But it searches "$i" (dollar sign... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guarriman
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Printing

i have a file and i want to print the second variable and add qoutes to it i do awk -F"|" '{print $2}' star.unl. i get the output xxxxxxx but i need the variable($2) to be in quotes.like "xxxxxxx" how do i do there please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK printing

i have a file containing a line 123456 is it possible to use AWK to print it out to look like 1 2 3 4 5 6 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk printing help

Hallo, i have a file which looks like this: $1 $2 $3 Student1 55 Pass 55 Pass 35 Fail Student2 55 Pass 55 Pass 35 Fail i want that the $1 field... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk selective printing

Hi, i need help to print number from different field INPUT: Student1 10 20 Student2 30 40 Student3 50 60 Student4 70 80 Desired Output: 1 20-30 2 40-50 3 60-70 Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
5 Replies

7. Programming

Regex to pull out all words in apostrophes in a string

Hi, I have string like this: CHECK (VALUE::text = ANY (ARRAY)) and I am trying to get out the words in apostrophes ('). In this case"ACTIVE INACTIVE DELETE" Also the array may consist of one or more words (in given example 3). Also instead of word it can be only one LETTER. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neptun79
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk: printing variables

awk is only printing out the variables on the first AK2, how do I get it to print out the variables for every occurrence of AK2? grep -l "^ST.997" *.replaced|sort -n|uniq>FILELIST while read file do let "count = $count+1" <$file awk 'BEGIN { FS="" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing using awk

Hi I am relatively new to awk so i am getting confused a lot I am in need of help ... I am trying to append coloumns to the end of line using AWK I tried using this command awk -F "," '{for(s=7;s<=217;s++);$s="0";}1' OFS=, sam_sri_out It is giving me an output like this...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with deleting punctuation and apostrophes

Dear All, I have a file which I want to get the list of frequency of each word, ignoring list of stop words and now I have problems which punctuations and " 's ". what I am doing is: sed 's///g' file01.txt > file01-clear.txt cat file01-clear.txt | tr "" ""| tr ' ' '\012' |sort |uniq -c... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
3 Replies
COLORGCCRC(5)							File Formats Manual						     COLORGCCRC(5)

NAME
colorgccrc - configuration file for colorgcc DESCRIPTION
A colorgccrc configuration file is used to configure the highlighting of the compiler output from colorgcc. SYNTAX
Each line consists of a keyword designating a configuration variable. The keyword is followed by `:' and then one or several values (depending on the keyword). Lines beginning with a hash mark `#' are comments. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
g++ | gcc | c++ | cc | g77 | gcj | gnat | gpc Specifies the paths to the compilers. Takes one value; a path to the compiler. nocolor Specifies what terminal types colorization should be disabled on. Takes one or several values, separated by whitespace. srcColor Specifies the highlighting attributes source-code should be given. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. introColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for normal compiler output. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningFileNameColor | errorFileNameColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the filename in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningNumberColor | errorNumberColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the line-number in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningMessageColor | errorMessageColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the message-text in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. COLOR ATTRIBUTES
The following attributes are valid for highlighting. clear, reset bold, underline, underscore, blink, reverse, concealed black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white on_black, on_red, on_green, on_yellow, on_blue, on_magenta, on_cyan, on_white SEE ALSO
gcc(1), colorgcc(1) HISTORY
Jan 15 2003: Initial version of this manual-page. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <jmoyers@geeks.com> AUTHORS
Jamie Moyers <jmoyers@geeks.com> is the author of colorgcc. This manual page was written by Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>, and modified by David Weinehall <tao@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Jamie Moyers This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Jan 15, 2003 COLORGCCRC(5)