Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? They won't need so many sys admins anymore Post 302956969 by gandolf989 on Monday 5th of October 2015 02:29:04 PM
Old 10-05-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
If they continued the development I suppose they would have...
About speed, what was the faster CPU mid 90 already, so don't you find it curious how after making alpha CPu for DEC suddenly the pentium doubled speed ( and so the rest of INTEL cpus...)...
Are you saying Powerpc is CISC?
20 years ago someone had windows NT intel version running on an Alpha station using FX!32. The server was too slow to use in any practical way. Granted it was running a hardware emulator, but the chip wasn't that special. Perhaps if things were different we would all have Alpha processors in our desktops and DEC would still exist as a company. But we don't and DEC is long dead. All that I was saying is that the RISC server hardware of 20 years ago is dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FX!32

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Any sys admins from uk?

Hello Guys, im new to this forum. Im from UK and ive recently completed my SCSA I & II and also got trained in Veritas Suite (Veritas Volume Manager and Veritas Clusters, Veritas NetBackup), SAN Configuration. I was trying to get a break as a junior sun solaris admin. I am applying for the jobs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megadeth
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't login as SU anymore - SU: NO SHELL

the root shell has been changed in the file /etc/passwd, basically pointing to an incorrect directory. So now every time we login as 'su' I get the message 'su: no shell' so we can't login as superuser. Is there an easy way to rectify this? please use step by step instructions/commands - I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: homechoice
4 Replies

3. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Fire won't boot anymore

Hi all - I have an issue with our (way old) single processor SunFire 280R, running Solaris 9.0.4. It won't boot even after multiple power cycles. There was a power outage last week end in the computer room, so this might have to do. In normal boot mode, the screen shows a single line : ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bostella
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't SSH as root anymore!

I've screwed something up in my sshd_config apparently, because I can't ssh with root anymore. I had disabled root login for security reasons, but then my ssh credentials with full administrative privelges stopped working. So then I reenabled root login (and reset ssh), but root now isn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cquarry
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pkill won't work on firefox anymore

Can someone tell me why pkill won't work on firefox anymore? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
11 Replies

7. Slackware

Anyone Using Slackware Anymore?

We used to use Slackware, but then moved all our servers to Ubuntu Linux. Does anyone use Slackware anymore? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies

8. Programming

Interactive Python 3.5+ sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() bug?

(Apologies for any typos.) OSX 10.12.3 AND Windows 10. This is for the serious Python experts on at least 3.5.x and above... In script format sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() seems to work correctly. Have I found a serious bug in the interactive sys.stdout.write() AND... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
lvmpvg(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 lvmpvg(4)

NAME
lvmpvg - LVM physical volume group information file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is an ASCII file that stores the volume-group information for all of the physical volume groups in the system. The information is stored in a hierarchical format. First, it starts with a volume group under which multiple physical volume groups can exist. Under each physical volume group, a list of physical volumes can be specified. There must be at least one physical volume group in each volume group that appears in this file. The physical-volume-group name must be unique within the corresponding volume group, although it is permissible to use a common physical volume group name across different volume groups. There can be as many volume groups in this file as there are in the system. Instead of using the and commands, the administrator can edit this file to create and extend physical volume groups. However, care must be taken to ensure that all physical volumes to be included in the file have already been defined in their respective volume groups by previ- ous use of or The file format has the following structure. and are keywords that introduce the names of the volume group and physical volume group, respectively. pv_path ... pv_path ... pv_path ... The variables are defined as follows: pv_path The block device path name of a physical volume within the volume group. pvg_name The name of the physical volume group. It must be unique within the volume group. vg_name The path name of the volume group. EXAMPLES
The following example shows an file containing two volume groups: the first containing two physical volume groups, each with two physical volumes defined in it; the second containing three physical volume groups, each with one physical volume defined in it. SEE ALSO
vgcreate(1M), vgextend(1M), vgreduce(1M), vgremove(1M), intro(7), lvm(7). lvmpvg(4)