Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expansion not working properly Post 302956410 by RudiC on Tuesday 29th of September 2015 03:31:12 PM
Old 09-29-2015
You mean shell's "parameter and variable expansion"? Are you sure USER is defined? What's the result of echo $USER?

You know you don't need grep if awk is around?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

y is this not working properly?

#include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <unistd.h> struct stat s; main() { char c; if (fork()==0) { system("clear"); do { printf("myAI\\>§ "); scanf("%s",c); if(stat(c,&s)>-1) {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic variable expansion not working...

#!/usr/bin/bash if then echo "Not valid arguments entered. Just username should be entered." else USER_NAME=$1 FILE_NAME=$USER_NAME.info UNN=STUDIN\\\\$1 echo $UNN last STUDIN\\\\$1 last UNN If I type `last STUDIN\\eip060` it works but if I try to expand it with variable it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zammy_bg
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet is not working properly

telnet at my system is behaving stange. Some times I am able to telnet to other machines but sometimes it stop doing that. Then i have to reboot the machine and most of the time (not 100%) it works. SImilar is the case with SSH. Sometime it works , some time it don't. i am new to Unix and I do not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepak_pathania
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n not working properly

Hi all, I'm trying to generate a series of txt files starting from a plain csv file part of my code: #!/bin/ksh INSTALLDIR=/Users/ME/Installdir CSV=CSV.csv TMP=/tmp/$(basename $0).txt tr -s "\r" "\n" < /$INSTALLDIR/$CSV > $TMP function Makefiles { printf '%24s:%30s\n' "sometext"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jive Spector
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail is not working properly

Hi All, Can any one help me to solve the issue. The Issue is, i have started the sendmail service on my RHEL 4 update 6 box, I am able to send the mail from my box to almost all of the Email Id's except few. Exampe, test mail. . Output is :the message is sent. now if I send the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhtar.bhat
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

sudo is not working properly

This is the first time for using sudo for me. # visudo ## Allows people in group admin to run all commands %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL # groupadd admin # useradd temp # usermod -a -G admin temp # id temp uid=506(temp) gid=506(temp) groups=506(temp),507(admin) # #sudo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

uuencode is not working properly

Hello Everyone, I'm very new to the shell script. I'm trying to send multiple attachments in unix using uuencode command. Total I have 3 text files which should be send in mail. but I'm getting 6 files and 3 files with subject as file name. And the content is ` end I'm working... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: narikivar
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameter expansion not working for all strings...

I'm trying to write a script that parses my music collection and hard link some filenames that my media player doesn't like to other names. To do this I need to extract the name and remove alla non ASCII characters from that and do a cp -l with the result. Problem is this: 22:16:58 $... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refuser
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why is sort not working properly here ?

Platform: RHEL 5.4 In the below text file I have strings like following. $ cat /tmp/mytextfile.txt DISK1 DISK10 DISK101 DISK102 DISK103 DISK104 DISK105 DISK106 DISK107 DISK108 DISK109 DISK110 DISK111 DISK112 DISK113 DISK114 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join not working properly

I want to join two files , with file 1 col 3 and file 2 col 1 as key. The join command is erratic for some reason. File 2 is a master file having all the names, and file 1 has some values. I want to add the names from fil2 in file 1. If I use the original master file, some output is missing. ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
16 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string]... DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character is written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, is invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, ksh93's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape characters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's and ksh93's echo does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not understand the back-slashed escape characters. sh and ksh deter- mine whether /usr/ucb/echo is found first in the PATH and, if so, they adapt the behavior of the echo builtin to match /usr/ucb/echo. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it is treated as a string, not an option. The following char- acter sequences is recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2 /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3 sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4 csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5 /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. This variable is applicable only for Solaris x86 platforms, not Solaris SPARC systems. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh93(1), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), echo(1B), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' prints the phrase WARNING: and sounds the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo "337" | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "0337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.11 8 Apr 2008 echo(1)