Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exclude lines in a file with matches with multiple Strings using egrep Post 302955710 by Don Cragun on Monday 21st of September 2015 04:13:02 AM
Old 09-21-2015
How can you write the command using egrep without the -v option? With great difficulty. All you have to do is create an ERE that matches any line that does not match any line that contains something like CAT, MAT, or DAT. How you define "something like" may make a huge difference between this being difficult or impossible.

If this isn't a homework assignment (which would need to be filed in the Homework and Coursework Questions forum instead of the Shell Programming and Scripting forum), why would you need to avoid the egrep -v option?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one file -

input file Desired csv output gc_type, date/time, milli secs af, Mar 17 13:09:04 2011, 144.596 af, Mar 20 00:37:37 2011, 144.242 af, ar 20 21:30:59 2011, 108.518 Hi All, Any help in acheiving the above would be appreciated. I would like to parse through lines within one file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a string with contents of a txt file containing multiple lines of strings

Hello everyone, ive been trying to replace a string "kw01" in an xml file with the contents of a txt file having multiple lines. im a unix newbie and all the sed combinations i tried resulted to being garbled. Below is the contents of the txt file: RAISEDATTIME --------------------... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one csv file

Hi all, Please go through my requirement. I have a log file in the location /opt/WebSphere61/AppServer/profiles/EMQbatchprofile/logs/EMQbatch This file contains the follwing pattern data <af type="tenured" id="42" timestamp="May 14 13:44:13 2011" intervalms="955.624"> <minimum... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep strings on different lines in file

test.txt: appleboy orangeletter sweetdeal catracer conducivelot I want to only grep out lines that contain "appleboy" AND "sweetdeal". however, the closest thing to this that i can think of is this: cat test.txt | egrep "appleboy|sweetdeal" problem is this only searches for all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Including EOL in egrep pattern for multiple lines

Hi all I need your help to get a high-performance solution. I am working on a extensive script to automate file restores using the bprestore tool on a Solaris 5.10 server (bash 3.00). I will only paste the needed parts of the script to avoid any confusion. To use the script the user has to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anonym
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines from processing

I have a file like below #Fields section bald 1234 2345 456 222 abcs dddd dddd ssss mmmm mmm mmm i need do not process a files stating with # I was written code below while read -r line do if then echo ${line} >> elif then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How to find multiple strings on different lines in file?

Hello, I have spent considerable amount of time breaking my head on this and reached out here. here is the back ground. OS - Solaris 10 There are two strings '<Orin>sop' and '<Dup>two' which I wanted to look for in a file without the quotes on different lines and ONLY if both strings are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keithTait309875
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude multiple lines using grep

Hi, I'm working on a shell script that reports service status on a database server. There are some services that are in disabled status that the script should ignore and only check the services that are in Enabled status. I output the service configuration to a file and use that information to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil3d
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each pattern match

Hi I need to egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each matched pattern. -m10 option is not working out in my sun solaris 5.10 Please guide me the options to achieve. if i do head -10 , i wont be getting all pattern match results as output since for a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
10 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ex(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its relative line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -i The case of letters is ignored in making comparisons -- that is, upper and lower case are considered identical. This applies to grep and fgrep only. -s Silent mode. Nothing is printed (except error messages). This is useful for checking the error status. -w The expression is searched for as a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>', see ex(1).) (grep only) -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character other than newline matches that character. The character ^ matches the beginning of a line. The character $ matches the end of a line. A . (period) matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by an * (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. SEE ALSO
ex(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 GREP(1)