Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Zfs - what does atime update? Post 302954586 by Peasant on Wednesday 9th of September 2015 07:17:51 AM
Old 09-09-2015
By using stat command, you can see that information.

Code:
# stat somefile.txt
  File: `somefile.txt'
  Size: 9               Blocks: 2          IO Block: 512    regular file
Device: 475001dh/74776605d      Inode: 1161        Links: 1
Access: (0664/-rw-rw-r--)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2015-09-09 13:14:00.384836768 +0200
Modify: 2015-09-09 13:14:00.385346153 +0200
Change: 2015-09-09 13:14:00.385994348 +0200

If you change atime to off, the Access part will not be update when you access the file and you will gain minor to none performance depending on the filesystem structure.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

atime, ctime, mtime somewhere along csize..

i have used all forms of the unix find command.. and right now this is the only command i can think of that might have this option..: if i use mtime i am looking at a time interval.. but if i wanted to find out intervals of access, change and modification according to when a file changed size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

2. Programming

read() without changing atime ?

Hey, First of all I want to know How do I see the atime of a file ?? Whats the command ?? I think ls -l shows the last modified time right ? Because when I use cat to read a file, the timestamp shown by ls -l does not change. Its not ls -lu ! man ls did not help ! How do I see the last... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tantric
8 Replies

3. Tips and Tutorials

mtime, ctime, and atime

Unix keeps 3 timestamps for each file: mtime, ctime, and atime. Most people seem to understand atime (access time), it is when the file was last read. There does seem to be some confusion between mtime and ctime though. ctime is the inode change time while mtime is the file modification time. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find ot ctime , mtime ,atime

Can any one tell me how to find out ctime , mtime ,atime for a file/directory on unix. Cheers, Nilesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilesrex
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mtime VS atime VS ctime

hi, in trying to maintain your directories, one needs to do some housekeeping like removing old files. the tool "find" comes in handy. but how would you decide which option to use when it comes to, say, deleting files that are older than 5 days? mtime - last modified atime - last accessed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

-atime not working as expected

I need to sort through a volume that contains video files by access time and delete files that have not been accessed over x days. I have to use the access time as video files are originals that do not get modified, just read Testing commands on a local test folder... $ date Wed Sep 28... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: canon273
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why updating atime doesn't update ctime?

Hi, ctime is the inode change time. If reading a file, its atime will be updated, which should cause inode member i_atime changed, which is an inode change. So ctime should also be updated. But if I try to ls a directory on redhat, only the directory atime gets updated, not ctime. Why? THANKS! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a hell of atime with KSH -ftp automation

Following this thread: https://www.unix.com/ip-networking/1935-automated-ftp-task.html I have created the following script: #! /bin/ksh HOST=ftp.mywebsite2.com USER=astrocloud PASSWD=8**** exec 4>&1 ftp -nv >&4 2>&4 |& print -p open $HOST print -p user $USER $PASSWD print -p cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to update zfs-based flar?

Hello! I have ZFS-based flash archive (flar file). I need to install to it several additional packages and patches. As I know, it is possible for USF-based flar, but how to do it with ZFS-based one? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sluge
0 Replies
STAT(1) 							   User Commands							   STAT(1)

NAME
stat - display file or file system status SYNOPSIS
stat [OPTION]... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Display file or file system status. -L, --dereference follow links -f, --file-system display file system status instead of file status -c --format=FORMAT use the specified FORMAT instead of the default; output a newline after each use of FORMAT --printf=FORMAT like --format, but interpret backslash escapes, and do not output a mandatory trailing newline. If you want a newline, include in FORMAT -t, --terse print the information in terse form --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The valid format sequences for files (without --file-system): %a Access rights in octal %A Access rights in human readable form %b Number of blocks allocated (see %B) %B The size in bytes of each block reported by %b %C SELinux security context string %d Device number in decimal %D Device number in hex %f Raw mode in hex %F File type %g Group ID of owner %G Group name of owner %h Number of hard links %i Inode number %n File name %N Quoted file name with dereference if symbolic link %o I/O block size %s Total size, in bytes %t Major device type in hex %T Minor device type in hex %u User ID of owner %U User name of owner %x Time of last access %X Time of last access as seconds since Epoch %y Time of last modification %Y Time of last modification as seconds since Epoch %z Time of last change %Z Time of last change as seconds since Epoch Valid format sequences for file systems: %a Free blocks available to non-superuser %b Total data blocks in file system %c Total file nodes in file system %d Free file nodes in file system %f Free blocks in file system %C SELinux security context string %i File System ID in hex %l Maximum length of filenames %n File name %s Block size (for faster transfers) %S Fundamental block size (for block counts) %t Type in hex %T Type in human readable form NOTE: your shell may have its own version of stat, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Michael Meskes. REPORTING BUGS
Report stat bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report stat translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
stat(2) The full documentation for stat is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and stat programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'stat invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 STAT(1)