Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Scripting question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scripting question Post 302954409 by Aia on Monday 7th of September 2015 01:19:30 PM
Old 09-07-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun888
Hi Don Sir,

Really Thanks for your input. From your code I have learned lo of new things.

I have noticed the input file and it looks for "ADUS" the convention is different. I am not sure how to change the code.

Code:
cat input.txt | tail -4
HTS40002.W1978.PROM
HTS40003.W1978.PROM
HTS40004.W1978.SDLMF.ADUS
HTS40003.W1978.PROM
HTS40004.W1978.SDLMF.ADUS

Hi arun888
If you do not mind to learn some more
You do not need to use the command cat there; the command tail can do the same by itself
Code:
tail -4 input.txt

By the way, there should be only four (4) lines in your output, instead of five (5). Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

another scripting question

I am writing a script that will identify the oldest file in a directory. Here's the syntax: #!/bin/ksh cd directory chmod 777 * ls -r -1t > file1 sed -n -e "1P" < file1 > file2 So my problem is, now I have file2, which contains the name of the oldest file in the directory. How do I use,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting Question

This script searches for core files and if it finds one, it emails me to let me know.I DONT want it to email me if it doesn't find one but I can't figure out what I need to change or add. Any thoughts? Script below: /bin/find / -name core -type f -ls -exec file {} \;|/usr/bin/mailx -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: damielle
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

another scripting question

Hello I am working on cleaning up permissions on Oracle mountpoints and datafiles in unix. I am looking for a script or a scripting idea to 1st. 1. grep for owner oracle 2. ensure its a directory owned for oracle 3. chmod 750 on the oracle owned directory. 4. grep for oracle files, etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting question

I'm new to shell scripting and am having a problem trying to do something in C shell. I want to write a script that will input something instead of a user doing it. For example, using the command 'write' the user is supposed to type something to be sent to another user. I want a script to be able... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batmike
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting question?

I am writing a backup script for AIX 5 and running into a problem where the output isn't being shown in the output log that is being created. Any ideas on how this would be corrected? I have included the script below. The only thing showing up in the file is listed below. I was hoping to capture... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinburbridge
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Scripting question

I'm writing a small script that will run an executable program (sort of like TOP). To exit the executable, you have to enter control C (^c). I'm trying to use a redirect input file to send the ^c but I'm not having any luck. My short script looks like this - /mydirectory/abc.script < abc.in >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting question

Folks; I'm writing a shell script to extract some fields out of a log file & it will run periodically, how can i make it runs starting from where it left of. for example; if the script will do the extract every 2 days, let's say the first run will extract fields until July 25, 2007 @ 11:15:22... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moe2266
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting question

folks; I have a script to remove any files that older than 14 days then move any files that younger than 7 days to another directory. but for some reason it doesn't move the files, when i do it manually it works but not through the script. i tried 2 different ways in writing the move part but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting question

Preview of command prompt f ---> to start ferret q----> to stop ferret asp@nex:~$ f NOAA/PMEL TMAP FERRET v6.82 Linux 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5PAE 32-bit - 08/03/12 3-Dec-12 16:44 yes? go my.jnl yes?column=4/skip=1/type=num,text ............filename.txt ---... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting question

Hi I am trying to write a small script which takes one by one file name from a txt file and do a 'll' and need to check if equal to the given month, otherwise it should return back the file name. Note: the file name contains parameter. My code is given below: It is not working .. giving error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
6 Replies
tail(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tail(1)

NAME
tail - Writes a file to standard output, beginning at a specified point SYNOPSIS
tail [-f | -r] [-c number | -n number] [file] tail [+number | -number] [unit] [-f | -r] [file] The tail command writes the named file (standard input by default) to standard output, beginning at a point you specify. The second synopsis form of this command is obsolete, and support may be withdrawn at any time. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: tail: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Displays the remainder of the file from the starting point number where number is measured in bytes. The sign of number affects the loca- tion in the file at which to begin the copying: Copying begins relative to the beginning of the file. Copying begins relative to the end of the file. Copying begins relative to the end of the file. The origin for counting is 1, that is, -c +1 represents the first byte of the file, -c -1 the last. Does not end after it copies the last line of the input file if the input file is not read from a pipe, but enters an endless loop in which it sleeps for a sec- ond and then attempts to read and copy further records from the input file. Thus, it can be used to monitor the growth of a file being written by another process. Has no effect if specified with -r. Displays remainder of file from the starting point number where number is measured in lines. The sign of number affects the location in the file, measured in lines, to begin the copying: Copying begins relative to the beginning of the file. Copying begins relative to the end of the file. Copying begins relative to the end of the file. The origin for counting is 1, that is, -n +1 represents the first line of the file, -n -1 the last. [Tru64 UNIX] Causes tail to print lines from the end of the file in reverse order. The default for -r is to print the entire file this way. Overrides -f. Begins reading number lines (l), 512-byte blocks (b), kilobyte blocks (k), characters (c and m) from the end of the input. The m argument counts mulktibyte characters as single-byte characters, while c counts characters byte-by-byte but does not break mulk- tibyte characters. The default unit is l for lines. The default number is 10 for all units. Begins reading number lines (l), 512-byte blocks (b), 1-kilobyte blocks (k), or characters (c and m) from the beginning of the input. The m argument counts mulktibyte characters as sin- gle-byte characters, while c counts characters byte-by-byte but does not break mulktibyte characters. The default unit is l for lines. The default number is 10 for all units. In the non-obsolescent form, if you do not specify either -c or n, -n 10 is the default. DESCRIPTION
If you do not specify -f, -r, -number, or +number, tail begins reading 10 lines before the end of the file. The default starting point is - (end of input), l (lines) is the default unit, and 10 is the default number. By specifying +, you can direct tail to read from the beginning of the file. By specifying a number or a unit, or both, you can change the point at which tail begins reading. [Tru64 UNIX] The unit argument can specify lines, blocks, or characters. The tail command can begin reading number (10 by default) units from either the end or the beginning of the file. [Tru64 UNIX] The block size is either 512 bytes or 1 kilobyte. NOTES
When the input is a text file containing mulktibyte characters, use the -c option cautiously since the output produced may not start on a character boundary. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display the last 10 lines of a file named notes, enter: tail notes To specify how far from the end to start, enter: tail -20 notes This displays the last 20 lines of notes. To specify how far from the beginning to start, enter: tail +200c notes | more This displays notes a page at a time, starting with the 200th character from the beginning. To follow the growth of a file named accounts, enter: tail -1 -f accounts This displays the last line of accounts. Once every second, tail displays any lines that have been added to the file. This contin- ues until stopped by pressing the Interrupt key sequence. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of tail: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to mulktibyte characters in arguments and input files). Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: cat(1), head(1), more(1), page(1), pg(1) Standards: standards(5) tail(1)