Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Delete word from the file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete word from the file Post 302953474 by RavinderSingh13 on Friday 28th of August 2015 09:19:10 AM
Old 08-28-2015
Hello Ram,

It is an example of parameter expansion, you can go through following.
Quote:
${parameter#word}${parameter##word}
The word is expanded to produce a pattern just as in filename expansion (see Filename Expansion). If the pattern matches the beginning of the expanded value of parameter, then the result of the expansion is the expanded value of parameter with the shortest matching pattern (the ‘#’ case) or the longest matching pattern (the ‘##’ case) deleted. If parameter is ‘@’ or ‘*’, the pattern removal operation is applied to each positional parameter in turn, and the expansion is the resultant list. If parameter is an array variable subscripted with ‘@’ or ‘*’, the pattern removal operation is applied to each member of the array in turn, and the expansion is the resultant list.

${parameter%word}${parameter%%word}
The word is expanded to produce a pattern just as in filename expansion. If the pattern matches a trailing portion of the expanded value of parameter, then the result of the expansion is the value of parameter with the shortest matching pattern (the ‘%’ case) or the longest matching pattern (the ‘%%’ case) deleted. If parameter is ‘@’ or ‘*’, the pattern removal operation is applied to each positional parameter in turn, and the expansion is the resultant list. If parameter is an array variable subscripted with ‘@’ or ‘*’, the pattern removal operation is applied to each member of the array in turn, and the expansion is the resultant list.
Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a word from a file?

Hi All, I want to delete a word from file. How to do that. I have file that contains the following Information. EntityName:alba00r1.mis.amat.com OverallStatus:Minor IfName:Gi1/0 EntityName:alba00r1.mis.amat.com ] OverallStatus:Normal IfName:Se0/0/0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntgobinath
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete a word

i have created the following input script CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW MMSSENDAVGUPLOADTIME_GN AS sp_strip_mean_value_type.get_val(MMSSENDAVGUPLOADTIME) MMSSENDAVGUPLOADTIME_val sp_strip_mean_value_type.get_val(MMSSENDAVGUPLOADTIME) MMSSENDAVGUPLOADTIME_counter select... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gseptember
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete repeated word in text file

Hi expert, I am using C shell. And i trying to delete repeated word. Example file.txt: BLUE YELLOW RED VIOLET RED RED BLUE WHITE YELLOW BLACK and i wan store the output into a new file: BLUE (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincyoxy
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find a word in a file and delete the file

Hi, I need to find a word in a file, and I need to delete the file where the word resides on the file. I did try with the grep -H "word" using the find command, but no luck. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete character from a word

Friends, I'm looking for a command that delete the first tho caractere in a word. Here is an exp : I want to replace "20091001" by "091001" or "replace" by "place" Thx, (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete everything after/before a word in a file

I'm looking for a command that will read a file listing information and delete everything after a certain word is found. I also may need to search the file and delete everything before a certain word. The file would contains fields of information like below repeating for the entire file; Name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete the last word in a file?

Hi All, I have a file with the data as below. In this i want to delete the last word. Could you pls help me. $INSTALL_HOME/lib/fm_voucher_pol.so $INSTALL_HOME/source/sys/fm_apn_pol/fm_apn_pol_device_set_state.c In the above two lines i want to delete fm_voucher_pol.so and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to delete a word based on position in a file

Hi, I am new to unix. I want to delete 2 words placed at position say for example at 23rd and 45th position in a line. I used sed but couldnt achieve this. Example: the file contains 2 lines 12345 98765 "12345" 876 12345 98765 "64578" 876 I want to delete " placed at position 13 and 19... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbks2u
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Word between two Char.

HI Guys, I have Input:- A nput A.txt 000100/port_xcu_dev_6/port_0_dev_7 000100/port_xcu_dev_6/port_1_dev_10 000100/port_xcu_dev_2/port_2_dev_8 000100/port_xcu_dev_3/port_3_dev_11 000100/port_xcuv_9/port_4_dev_9 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies
EvmEventNameMatch(3)					     Library Functions Manual					      EvmEventNameMatch(3)

NAME
EvmEventNameMatch(), EvmEventNameMatchStr() - match EVM event name SYNOPSIS
Library EVM Support Library Parameters pattern The event name pattern sought. The pattern may be any valid event name string. It may include wildcard characters in place of any component. event The event containing the event name to be compared against the pattern. match The result of the match. This operand is set to if the name matches the pattern, and to if it does not. candidate A character string to be matched against the pattern DESCRIPTION
Because special matching rules apply when deciding whether a candidate event name matches a known name, the EVM name matching functions should be used for matching purposes, rather than the C string comparison functions The EVM functions match an event name against a sup- plied pattern, ignoring any trailing appended components in the candidate name, and correctly matching wildcard characters. The function takes an event and an event name pattern as input, and returns an indication of whether the event contains a name which matches the pattern in the match output argument. The pattern may be any valid event name string, and may also include wildcard characters in place of any component. A wildcard in the pattern matches zero or more name components. A matches exactly one component. A match occurs if the event name matches all components indicated by the pattern, even if the name has additional trailing elements. The function performs the same check as but takes a character string as the candidate event name, instead of extracting the candidate event name from a supplied event. Both functions set the match output argument to if the name matches the pattern, and to if it does not. RETURN VALUE
The operation completed without error. The comparison was successful. The value of the match operand indicates whether the name matches the pattern. One of the arguments to the function is invalid. The supplied pattern contains invalid characters. The supplied event does not contain a name. ERRORS
The value of is not set. SEE ALSO
Routines memccpy(3C), strcat(3C). Event Management EVM(5). EVM Events EvmEvent(5). EvmEventNameMatch(3)