Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Re-appearing Files
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Re-appearing Files Post 302952031 by abhijeet on Wednesday 12th of August 2015 04:59:27 PM
Old 08-12-2015
Re-appearing Files

Gurus

I am running an AIX 7.1 system and have come across a strange [ and hopefully explainable ] issue.

I am trying to delete files from a folder using standard 'rm' syntax. After i delete the files , files re-appear again.

File renaming or editing does not help. Files re-appear with 0 bytes again. They are always 0 bytes.

I have checked processes running under this user as well all in general but it's hard to say which process/daemon is causing this happen.

Any light shed on this in highly appreciated !

Abhi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Randomly appearing control characters in text files

Hi, From some time, we have noticed that our ascii files have started corrupting due to the presence of some random control characters (^@, ^M, ^H, ^D). The characters appear randomly on any file after the process that creates the file finishes. If we rerun the process, the files re creates... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakashahuja
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Help - File Manager not appearing

First I have to admit that I am not an unix expert, but I do know some basic things about the file systems. Anywho, one of my users' File Manager is not showing up as it normally does upon login. When I run a "ps -ea" I see "dtfile" in the list, but it does not show up. It's not in any of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdpearson
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Mounted Slice not appearing

Hi friends.. Here is my problem.. I mounted a slice and make it permanent through entering the information in /etc/vfstab file ,,,but when i give df -kh ,,in the output the slice information is not appearing..but i can be able to open the mount point and access files as usual..I didn't give... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escape Sequences appearing in scripts

I hope this question isn't too vague... i recently switched from RedHat to Solaris 10, and found that the parts of a script that copy files between directories no longer work because escape sequences are appearing at the start and end of the filenames being read #!/usr/bin/bash cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jwm-wm
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Strange files keep appearing in my home directory

Hi everyone, really strange files keep appearing in my home directory. I have absolutely no idea where they come from and I'm a little concerned that they could come from some kind of malware activity or Firefox exploit. I searched Google for parts of the file names but without a result. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: schallstrom
6 Replies

6. AIX

CRLF during SFTP transfer is appearing only in one server

Hello. I have got 3 unix boxes A B C. Box A is being used to prepare some reports. After the reports generation, Box A sftp the reports to Box B and Box C. When I look at the report in Box B and Box C. The reports are different. In Box B, I see using od -x command there is CRLF (\r\n) at the end... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input appearing as *

Is there a way in a shell script to make an user input appears as * (like a password) ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ce9888
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail not appearing to ps

I am having trouble finding the process, or subsystem, sendmail running on our client's server. They are runnning AIX version 5.3.9.0. When I run "ps -ef | grep sendmail" I only get my current ps process as a match. Running "ps -ef | more" and wading through the results also does not show sendmail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moviedude
2 Replies

9. AIX

Date not appearing when listing using ls -la

Hi everyone, this strange error suddenly popped up out of no where when I do a directory listing , the date part doesn't appear root@oradb:/backup>ls -la total 58069304 drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 4096 23 ▒▒▒ 21:56 . drwxr-xr-x 44 root system 1536 23 ▒▒▒ 21:47... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

10. Linux

How can I keep certain characters from appearing in a filename?

hi i know this is irrelevant to the question above but i was wondering how to pt a restriction in the filename in linux. I want that it is impossible to add numbers into the filename, help will be rely great , thanx! This posting was initially given as a reply to an unrelated thread. It has been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samirboss
2 Replies
RMM(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              RMM(1)

NAME
rmm - remove messages SYNOPSIS
rmm [+folder] [msgs] [-unlink | -nounlink] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
By default, rmm will remove the specified messages by renaming each of the message files with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma). Such files will then need to be removed in some manner after a certain amount of time. Many sites arrange for cron to remove these files once a day, so check with your system administrator. Alternately, if you wish for rmm to really remove the files representing these messages, you can use the -unlink switch. But messages removed by this method cannot be later recovered. If you prefer a more sophisticated method of `removing' messages, you can define the rmmproc profile component. For example, you can add a profile component such as rmmproc: /home/foouser/bin/rmm_msgs then instead of simply renaming the message file, rmm will call the named program or script to handle the files that represent the messages to be deleted. Some users of csh prefer the following: alias rmm 'refile +d' where folder `+d' is a folder for deleted messages, and alias mexp 'rm `mhpath +d all`' is used to "expunge" deleted messages. The current message is not changed by rmm, so a next will advance to the next message in the folder as expected. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message SEE ALSO
refile(1), rmf(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nounlink' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. BUGS
Since refile uses your rmmproc to delete the message, the rmmproc must NOT call refile without specifying -normmproc, or you will create an infinte loop. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMM(1)