Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SunOS 8.5 random shutdown
Operating Systems Solaris SunOS 8.5 random shutdown Post 302951285 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 4th of August 2015 02:55:11 PM
Old 08-04-2015
I'm sure this isn't your problem... But about 30 years ago while I was working at Sun, I would start a long running job just before I left work for the evening and it died and the machine rebooted every weekday night sometime between 9:45pm and 10pm. I could see from the logs that it rebooted five to nine times every weekday night and then ran perfectly until the next night (with no reboots on Saturday or Sunday).

I finally stayed late one night to find out what the problem was... I had made the mistake a having one plug unused on the power strip under my desk and having that open plug visible and easily accessible to the cleaning crew. They plugged in a vacuum cleaner and used it as their power source as they swept the hallway and about 6 offices around mine. Every time they turned on the vacuum cleaner, the system detected the power surge and rebooted.

The cleaning company got strongly worded, new instructions from upper management the next day and the problem magically disappeared. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SunOS 5.8

I am loging into a SunOS 5.8 box for the first time. I do not see a .profile file in the home directory. Also on the command line when I type a backspace to correct my typing I get a ^H character. Where and how can I fix this? Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration of binary file from Sunos 5.8 to Sunos 5.9

I have compiled binary file using "cc" on SunOS 5.8 and the same binary file i have copied to SunOS 5.9 and it is giving me core dump error.I want to know whether migration of compiled code from lower version to higer version created this problem. how can i solve this problem.I am pasting the core... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arvind Maurya
1 Replies

3. Solaris

SunOS 5.4

Hi, I Hope you can help me with my problem. I need to have an installation CD of this version. Is there any site you can recommend that I can download an image of this OS? Thanks and God Bless!!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_balodoy
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Looking for help with SunOS 5.6

Hey all, I've got my hands on 10 SunOS 5.6 SPARCStation 20 machines and I'm looking to get them up and running. They're all in various states of disrepair but I've got them all to a state where the hardware is working and the machine will at least attempt to boot. I've only used Solaris as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevpatts
1 Replies

5. Solaris

SunOS 5.8 vs 5.10

Hi, I am bulding a path to open files like this \path\values\file.xxx This path is opened in an IE browser window and opens the file/document I am trying to see. I mean it opens a pdf document or it promps you to "save" or "open" the specific file (if it's a .xml, .doc, .html). I was using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcibl_javok
1 Replies

6. Solaris

SunOS 5.6

Hi, I called Sun and they said they no longer sell SunOS 5.6. I desperately need a CD-ROM of the install CD to perform maintenance work on a server. Does anyone know where to get one or know someone who can make me a copy? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

8. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Shutdown Oracle DB on SunOS Cluster

Hi, I've this Oracle database version: Connected to: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production Oracle is install in a SunOS DBSERVER1 5.11 11.2 sun4v sparc sun4v cluster (Not RAC environment) DBSERVER1 is node active and DBSERVER2 is node inactive ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: db_senior
4 Replies
qterm(8B)								PBS								 qterm(8B)

NAME
qterm - terminate processing by a PBS batch server SYNOPSIS
qterm [-t type] [server...] DESCRIPTION
The qterm command terminates a PBS batch server. When a server receives a terminate command, the server will go into a terminating state. While in this state, the server will not allow new jobs to be started or enqueued. By default, qterm will request a "quick" shutdown of the PBS server. Other ways of shutting down the server (specified with the -t argument), and their impact on running jobs, are described below. The qterm command will not exit until the server has completed its shutdown procedure. In order to execute qterm, the user must have PBS Operation or Manager privilege. OPTIONS
-t type Specifies the type of shut down. The types are: immediate All running jobs are to immediately stop execution. If checkpoint is supported, running jobs that were submitted with "-c shutdown" are checkpointed, terminated, and requeued. If checkpoint is not supported or the job cannot be checkpointed, running jobs are requeued if the rerunable attribute is true. Otherwise, jobs are killed. Normally the server will not shutdown until there are no jobs in the running state. If the server is unable to contact the MOM of running job, the job is still listed as running. The server may be forced down by a second qterm -t immediate command. delay If checkpoint is supported, running jobs that were submitted with "-c shutdown" are checkpointed, terminated, and requeued. If a job cannot be checkpointed, but can be rerun, the job is terminated and requeued. Otherwise, running jobs are allowed to continue to run. Note, the operator or administrator may use the qrerun and qdel commands to remove run- ning jobs. quick This option is used when you wish that running jobs be left running when the server shuts down. The server will cleanly shutdown and can be restarted when desired. Upon restart of the server, jobs that continue to run are shown as running; jobs that terminated during the server's absence will be placed into the exiting state. OPERANDS
The server operand specifies which servers are to shutdown. If no servers are given, then the default server will be terminated. STANDARD ERROR
The qterm command will write a diagnostic message to standard error for each error occurrence. EXIT STATUS
Upon successful processing of all the operands presented to the qterm command, the exit status will be a value of zero. If the qterm command fails to process any operand, the command exits with a value greater than zero. SEE ALSO
pbs_server(8B), qmgr(1B), pbs_resources_aix4(7B), pbs_resources_irix5(7B), pbs_resources_sp2(7B), pbs_resources_sunos4(7B), and pbs_resources_unicos8(7B) Local qterm(8B)