Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find file by filename or with newest modified date Post 302945678 by blackrageous on Monday 1st of June 2015 01:27:12 PM
Old 06-01-2015
Check out
Code:
ls -ctl | head

This User Gave Thanks to blackrageous For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I get the last modified date of a file?

I am trying to load a group of files and their last dates modified into a text file that will in turn be used with SQL*Loader to load these files into Oracle. I am using a *.ksh script. I am getting the name of the file in by using the following: for file_ext in 'cat loaddir.ext'; do find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akpopa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find formatted filename with date time

Hi, I operate and use HF radars along the California coast for ocean surface currents. The devices use Mac OS as the control and logging software. The software generates thousands of files a week and while I've used PERL in the past to solve the problems of finding files I come to realize some... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpath2o
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find and store files based on FileName and Modified Time

Hi, I am currently using the following command: files=(ls enuCPU??.????.exp ntuCPU??.????.exp) I need to now change the commmand to store the file names of files that have been modified before datetime equal to say '02/16/2008 20:30:00' What could I use? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edisonantus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a filename modified by attaching modified timestamp

Hi, I want to modify a filename in AIX by attaching the last modified timestamp. I want the timestamp completely in numerical format (eg:200905081210. yr-2009, mnth - 05, date -08, hr - 12, mins - 10). For example if the filename is a.log and it was modified on April 6th 2008 at 21.00. I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ruks
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find last modified date for many files

Hello all - I've looked and have not been able to find a "find" command that will list the last modified date of files within a specific directory and its subdirectories. If anyone knows of such a command it would be very much appreciated! If possible, I would like to sort this output and have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichaelH3947
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files greater than a particular date in filename.

I need a unix command which will find all the files greater that a particular date in the file name. say for example I have files like(filenaming cov : filename.YYDDMMSSSS.txt) abc.201206015423.txt abc.201207013456.txt abc.201202011234.txt abc.201201024321.txt efg.201202011234.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file that matches today's date in filename and move to /tmp in bash

I'm having problems with my bash script. I would like to find a file matching today's date in the filename, i.e. my_file_20120902.txt and then move it to a different directory, i.e. /tmp. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the latest file based on the date in the filename

Hi, We've a list of files that gets created on a weekly basis and it has got a date and time embedded to it. Below are the examples. I want to find out how to get the latest files get the date and time stamp out of it. Files are PQR123.PLL.M989898.201308012254.gpg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Find the newest file in two directories

Hi i have two directories and files inside them Directory 1: Directory 2: These files are the same but song.mp3 in Directory 1 is newer than song.mp3 in Directory 2, and work.txt in Directory 2 is newer than work.txt in Directory 1. Now is my question. How i can compare these files... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Falstaff
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all files containing string not following symlinks CAT (modified) output content to /filename

This should recursively walk through all dirictories and search for a specified string in all present files, if found output manicured content (eg some regex) with CAT into a specified directory (eg /tmp/) one by one, keeping the original names This is what I have so far, which seems to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
1 Replies
gnome-search-tool(1)						   User Commands					      gnome-search-tool(1)

NAME
gnome-search-tool - search for files SYNOPSIS
gnome-search-tool [--named=text] [--path=folder] [--sortby=order] [--descending] [--contains=string] [--user=user] [--nouser] [--allmounts] [--empty] [--follow] [--group=group] [--hidden] [--mtimeless=date] [--mtimemore=date] [--notnamed=filename] [--regex=pattern] [--size- less=size] [--sizemore=size] [--start] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
The Search for Files application enables you to search for files on your system. Search for Files uses the find(1) command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --allmounts Select the 'Search other filesystems' search constraint. --contains=string Select the 'Contains the text' search constraint and set the text of that entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --descending Set sort order to descending. The default sort order is ascending. --empty Select the 'File is empty' search constraint. --follow Select the 'Follow symbolic links' search constraint. --group=group Select the 'Owned by group' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --hidden Select the 'Show hidden and backup files' search option. --mtimeless=date Select the 'Date modified before (days)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --mtimemore=date Select the 'Date modified after (days)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --named=text Set the text of the 'Name contains' search option. --notnamed=filename Select the 'File is not named' search constraint and set the text of that entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --nouser Select the 'Owner is unrecognized' search constraint. --path=folder Set the text of the 'Look in folder' entry. Defaults to the current working directory. --start Automatically start a search. --regex=pattern Select the 'File matches regular expression' search constraint and set the text of that entry. See find(1) for more details about the regular expression patterns that can be used. --sizeless=size Select the 'Size is less than (kilobytes)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --sizemore=size Select the 'Size is more than (kilobytes)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --sortby=order Sort files by one of the following: name, folder, size, type, or date. --user=user Select the 'Owned by user' search constraint and set the text of that entry. gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Performing a basic search automatically example% gnome-search-tool --name=a.out --path=$HOME --autostart Example 2: Performing an advanced search automatically example% gnome-search-tool --contains=unistd.h --mtimeless=3 --sortby=size --autostart EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-search-tool Executable for Search for Files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-search-tool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Search for Files Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. find(1), gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2006. SunOS 5.11 2 Oct 2003 gnome-search-tool(1)