Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Updating value from new last line of tempfile Post 302945583 by sea on Sunday 31st of May 2015 08:16:23 PM
Old 05-31-2015
I think the issue somehow is based upon the fact that ffmpeg (ffplay here) prints some basic info of the file, and then prints an updated status line, of where it currently is, the current bitrate, etc, and lcoses the line with a \r.

Though the tempfile ($TMP.playstatus) gets prints a new line.
I tried sed s,\r,,g with no change Smilie

However, Just played a 2:28 file and a 1:30 minute file, and at the end it looked:
Code:
tui-progress -bm 148 -c -0.01 -0.01/02:28
tui-progress -bm 148 -c -0.01 -0.01/02:28
tui-progress -bm 148 -c 93.21 93.21/02:28
tui-progress -bm 148 -c 93.21 93.21/02:28

However, this did NOT apply to the file playing 1:30....
Another weird thing of the above example, max is 148 secs = 2:28, but the cur only reach 93.21 secs when it was done playing Smilie

---------- Post updated at 02:12 ---------- Previous update was at 02:08 ----------

Code:
+++ tr '\r' '\n' /home/sea/.cache//vhs.tmp.playstatus
+++ tail -n 1
tr: extra operand '/home/sea/.cache//vhs.tmp.playstatus'
Try 'tr --help' for more information.

Code:
$ tr '\r' '\n' vhs.tmp.playstatus 
tr: extra operand 'vhs.tmp.playstatus'
Try 'tr --help' for more information.

Smilie

---------- Post updated at 02:16 ---------- Previous update was at 02:12 ----------

Nevermind, i prefix tr with cat, and its now working.
Though not what i wanted, but it works.

Thank you alot!

EDIT:
This is what works:
Code:
output=$(cat "$STATUS"|tr '\r' '\n'  | tail -n 1  | awk '{print $1}')

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk updating one file with another, comparing, updating

Hello, I read and search through this wonderful forum and tried different approaches but it seems I lack some knowledge and neurones ^^ Here is what I'm trying to achieve : file1: test filea 3495; test fileb 4578; test filec 7689; test filey 9978; test filez 12300; file2: test filea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecano
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating a line in a large csv file, with sed/awk?

I have an extremely large csv file that I need to search the second field, and upon matches update the last field... I can pull the line with awk.. but apparently you cant use awk to directly update the file? So im curious if I can use sed to do this... The good news is the field I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

updating a single line by script

hi, I'm trying to add a # to the beginning of the line where the a word is included. and the i want to run the whole original script. and if possible I would prefer that line would stay in the same order in the text file, the line which includes the word. Thanks, (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
10 Replies

4. AIX

Updating AIX OS

Hello I have a server whose os level reads 5300-01-00-0000. It has to be upgraded to the latest level which is 5300-12-04-1119. What would I need to do go get the server to this point? Would I need to go through each patch level until I get it to current? If so, would anyone happen to know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stayfuzzy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for updating the folder

Hello Expert, is there any command through which i can update/replace the folder after every two months. lets say i have folder /usr/local/x_folder created on 01/01/2011 I need to update it on 31/03/2011 Please help me to get the logic :confused: Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
3 Replies

6. SCO

FoxPro 2.6 and updating UW

I have an app in FP26 with 400 prgs currently en UW7.1.1 thats work perfectly. I have a new server and install UW7.1.4 and FP26. Then I had copy my App to new server. But the next command doesn't work: use database @10,10 get name read I can't write in the get. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AralVorkosigan
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

16.04 not updating

Just installed the latest version on my hp stream, was tired of windows. Of the few times I've used Linux, this is the first time it won't update. Im connected to the net the updater recognizes that the OS needs 21 updates. But it won't download/install the updates. It also won't load the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DabblingMadman
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)