Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy text and create new file Post 302944294 by bakunin on Monday 18th of May 2015 02:21:23 PM
Old 05-18-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccabe
I mis-spoke in my original post, there is no file.txt rather ~500 files all listed in a directory.
Files are just "frozen processes", as the saying goes. The following is based on balajesuri's suggestion:

Code:
ls | sed 's/\(^[^_]*_[^_]*\)_.*/\1.txt/' | uniq > output.txt

Before you ask, because i have the suspicion that in fact you want to rename the files listed that way:

Code:
ls | sed 's/\(^[^_]*_[^_]*\)_.*/& \1.txt/' |\
while read SRC TGT ; do
     mv "$SRC" "$TGT"
done

A similar solution based on Akshay Hedge's solution is equally possible and left as an exercise to the reader.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to copy a string to a text file

I am using the following command to email a tex file as an attachment- cat mailtext.txt | elm -s "Subject" emailAddr where content of mailtext.txt is - "Body of email" This will attach foo.txt with the email. My problem is that the file foo.txt is ceated dynamically everytime with a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxlxboy
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to search for text in a file and copy file

Compete noob question.... I need a script to search through a directory and find files containing text string abcde1234 for example and then copy that file with that text string to another directory help please :eek: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imeadows
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple text file from a single text file on AIX

Hi I need to create multiple text files from onc text file on AIX. The data of text files is as below: ********************************************** ********************************************** DBVERIFY: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Nov 10 13:45:42 2009 Copyright (c) 1982,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy text with ed to new file ?

Alright, so in ed i do a subsititution: ed file << 'HERE' s/.*h2.*>\(.*\)<.*/\1/p HERE This gives me my desired line: Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional! But how would i put this line in a temporary file ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertieboy7
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy one file into another except some text

I have file input like- abc,"123",""123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123", abc,"123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123","123""123",abc etc Input file consists of 1000 records and i want to copy into final file except abc abc is at fixed position... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AhmedLakadkutta
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to create a text file whose content is the text of another files

Hello everyone, I work under Ubuntu 11.10 (c-shell) I need a script to create a new text file whose content is the text of another text files that are in the directory $DIRMAIL at this moment. I will show you an example: - On the one hand, there is a directory $DIRMAIL where there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tenteyu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hoe to copy selected strings from file into another text file

Hi Experts, I just want to copy some selected strings from a a file into a new .txt file . I am using below command to find the data now want to copy the search results into another .txt file please help me . find /Path -exec grep -w "filename1|filename1|filename1|" '{}' \;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy data form File A and Create File B

File A I have list of : ABCND1 ABCND2 ABCnd3 ABCnd4 I want file B like below Start+ S Pate=ABCND1 AAlo1 S Pate=ABCND1 Q1234 S Pate=ABCND1,P12345 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to create folder, copy file, and send email on success

I am very new to UNIX as well as scripting so please be gentle, haha. I have a Linux client which has a mount point mapped to my /etc folder on a NetApp FAS system. I woudl like to be able to copy the hosts and rc files once a week from the FAS to a different location for backup. When the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: minnino
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Copy the content from txt file and create a html file

I have a txt file with a list of error messages in a xml tag format, and each error message is separated with a identifier(endresult).Need to split that and copy and create a new html file.Error message has some special character. how to escape the special character and insert my data into the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevAakash
7 Replies
GLOB(3) 								 1								   GLOB(3)

glob - Find pathnames matching a pattern

SYNOPSIS
array glob (string $pattern, [int $flags]) DESCRIPTION
The glob(3) function searches for all the pathnames matching $pattern according to the rules used by the libc glob() function, which is similar to the rules used by common shells. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern. No tilde expansion or parameter substitution is done. o $flags - Valid flags: o GLOB_MARK - Adds a slash to each directory returned o GLOB_NOSORT - Return files as they appear in the directory (no sorting). When this flag is not used, the pathnames are sorted alphabetically o GLOB_NOCHECK - Return the search pattern if no files matching it were found o GLOB_NOESCAPE - Backslashes do not quote metacharacters o GLOB_BRACE - Expands {a,b,c} to match 'a', 'b', or 'c' o GLOB_ONLYDIR - Return only directory entries which match the pattern o GLOB_ERR - Stop on read errors (like unreadable directories), by default errors are ignored. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array containing the matched files/directories, an empty array if no file matched or FALSE on error. Note On some systems it is impossible to distinguish between empty match and an error. CHANGELOG
+--------+--------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+--------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | | | | GLOB_ERR was added | | | | +--------+--------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Convenient way how glob(3) can replace opendir(3) and friends. <?php foreach (glob("*.txt") as $filename) { echo "$filename size " . filesize($filename) . " "; } ?> The above example will output something similar to: funclist.txt size 44686 funcsummary.txt size 267625 quickref.txt size 137820 NOTES
Note This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the server's filesystem. Note This function isn't available on some systems (e.g. old Sun OS). Note The GLOB_BRACE flag is not available on some non GNU systems, like Solaris. SEE ALSO
opendir(3), readdir(3), closedir(3), fnmatch(3). PHP Documentation Group GLOB(3)