Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Correct way to read data of different formats into same struct Post 302940615 by yifangt on Tuesday 7th of April 2015 04:47:52 PM
Old 04-07-2015
Thanks Don:
I am aware what you meant by fgets() + sscanf() + strncpy() to parse input. At this moment I am working with fscanf() and assuming no missing field of the data.
According to this reference:
Code:
int fscanf ( FILE * stream, const char * format, ... );
Reads data from the stream and stores them according to the parameter format into the locations pointed by the additional arguments.
On success, the function returns the number of items of the argument list successfully filled.

My unclear part is: can the number of items of the argument list be separated by newline, i.e. in different rows? In other words, fscanf() keeps looking for the defined items until all of them are found, no matter those items are separated by space, tab or newline?
To give more of my confusion by this code fragment:
Code:
  rewind (pFile);                  //Line 11
  fscanf (pFile, "%f", &f);        //Line 12
  fscanf (pFile, "%s", str);       //Line 13

Line 11: set position of pFile stream to the beginning
Line 12: Look for a float number in one line (e.g. line 1)
Line 13: Look for a string in next line(line 2), or the same line(line 1)?
Code:
  rewind (pFile);                          //Line 11
  fscanf (pFile, "%f %s", &f, str);        //Line 12

This time Line 12 would be Looking for a float number AND a string in the same line (line 1)?
Sorry for this naive question, which bugs me. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by yifangt; 04-07-2015 at 06:10 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from data file

Hi, I have a data file formatted like this: Ex: Mike 3434 Jack 481 Peter 12 Alan 926 I want to get this data into 2 variables: "Names" and "Numbers" that I can using one "for" loop to get the value as Names and Numbers Like this: for i in 0 1 2 3 do echo $Names echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read the data from an excel sheet and use those data as variable in the unix c

I have 3 columns in an excel sheet. c1 c2 c3 EIP_ACCOUNT SMALL_TS_01 select A.* from acc; All the above 3 col shoud be passed a variable in the unix code. 1.How to read an excel file 2.How to pass these data as variable to the unic script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Grace
1 Replies

3. Programming

writing binary/struct data to file

I am trying to write binary data to a file. My program below: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> struct tinner { int j; int k; }; struct touter { int i; struct tinner *inner; }; int main() { struct touter data; data.i = 10; struct tinner... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to access a struct within a struct?

Can someone tell me how to do this? Just a thought that entered my mind when learning about structs. First thought was: struct one { struct two; } struct two { three; } one->two->three would this be how you would access "three"? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unbelievable21
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from a log file with date formats

Hello, I have a log file for the year, which contains lines starting with the data in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. I need to get all the lines that contain the DD being 04, how would I do this? I tried using grep "*-*04" but it didn't work. Any quick one liners I should know about? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpickering
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

struct utsname throwing error : Value too large to be stored in data type

Hi, I am trying to fetch sysname and nodename using struct utsname. I have two HP-UX servers on with 10 characters and other with 13 characters host name. For the first one I am getting truncated 8 characters as output but for the second one i am getting "Value too large to be stored in data type"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shivarajbm
1 Replies

7. Programming

Storing C++-struct in file - problem when adding new item in struct

Hi, I have received an application that stores some properties in a file. The existing struct looks like this: struct TData { UINT uSizeIncludingStrings; // copy of Telnet data struct UINT uSize; // basic properties: TCHAR szHost; //defined in Sshconfig UINT iPortNr; TCHAR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Powerponken
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to get correct data using awk

I have this input.|user1 |10.10.10.10 |23|046|1726 (212) |0 |user2 |10.10.10.11 |23|046|43 (17) |0 |test |10.10.10.12 |23|046|45 (10) |0 |test1 |10.10.10.13 |23|046|89 (32) |0 I need to get the data for a user like thisuser1 1726 user2 43 test 45 test1 89... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to correct the data

Hi, I have below data in my flat file.I would like to remove the quotes and comma necessary from the data.Below is the details I would like to have in my output. Could anybody help me providing the Unix shell script for this. Input : ABC,ABC,10/15/2012,"47,936,164.567 ","1,036,997.453... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies
gets(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						  gets(3C)

NAME
gets, fgets - get a string from a stream SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> char *gets(char *s); char *fgets(char *s, int n, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The gets() function reads bytes from the standard input stream (see intro(3)), stdin, into the array pointed to by s, until a newline char- acter is read or an end-of-file condition is encountered. The newline character is discarded and the string is terminated with a null byte. If the length of an input line exceeds the size of s, indeterminate behavior may result. For this reason, it is strongly recommended that gets() be avoided in favor of fgets(). The fgets() function reads bytes from the stream into the array pointed to by s, until n-1 bytes are read, or a newline character is read and transferred to s, or an end-of-file condition is encountered. The string is then terminated with a null byte. The fgets() and gets() functions may mark the st_atime field of the file associated with stream for update. The st_atime field will be marked for update by the first successful execution of fgetc(3C), fgets(), fread(3C), fscanf(3C), getc(3C), getchar(3C), gets(), or scanf(3C) using stream that returns data not supplied by a prior call to ungetc(3C) or ungetwc(3C). RETURN VALUES
If end-of-file is encountered and no bytes have been read, no bytes are transferred to s and a null pointer is returned. For standard-con- forming (see standards(5)) applications, if the end-of-file indicator for the stream is set, no bytes are transferred to s and a null pointer is returned whether or not the stream is at end-of-file. If a read error occurs, such as trying to use these functions on a file that has not been opened for reading, a null pointer is returned and the error indicator for the stream is set. If end-of-file is encoun- tered, the EOF indicator for the stream is set. Otherwise s is returned. ERRORS
Refer to fgetc(3C). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
lseek(2), read(2), ferror(3C), fgetc(3C), fgetwc(3C), fopen(3C), fread(3C), getchar(3C), scanf(3C), stdio(3C), ungetc(3C), ungetwc(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Oct 2003 gets(3C)