Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to pass command line arguments to awk program? Post 302938344 by sri.phani on Saturday 14th of March 2015 03:38:29 PM
Old 03-14-2015
How to pass command line arguments to awk program?

Code:
#!/bin/awk -f
BEGIN {
        FS=":";
}
{
        if ( $7 == "" ) {
                print $1 ": no password!";
        }
}

I want to execute this program for a particular user to check for his password from the file /etc/passwd (as the input file) and the user details to be given at the command line

{(Rather this program should accept the user name at the command prompt)}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass arguments to called program

Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShellUser
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using command line arguments as columns for pattern matching using awk

Hi, I wish to use a column, as inputted by a user from command line, for pattern matching. awk file: { if($1 ~ /^8/) { print $0> "temp2.csv" } } something like this, but i want '$1' to be any column as selected by the user from command line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: invinclible0009
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do we pass multiple arguments into awk

How do we pass multiple arguments into awk : name=john age=12 now i have to pass both age and name into awk.. how to do it? like : awk -v var=... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass command line arguments to awk

I am trying to pass max as a sommand line argument when I call awk. Made the modification in the BEGIN but it is not working I'm getting an error as below: awk: txsrx.awk:82: (FILENAME=jcd.tx FNR=4161) fatal: cannot open file `40' for reading (No such file or directory) Somehow it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i pass 2 command line arguments with a range between them

Hi, I am writting a script. i am not sure what i am trying to do is possible or not. thats why asking the best of the best. the script i want to write will recieve as input parameters 2 different options. as in MODE 1 -- start_date / end_date (2 dates has 2 go at a time MODE 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazdseg
2 Replies

6. Programming

How to pass the command line arguments to the shell script in c language?

hi, I am new in the shell script, and c programming with linux. I am looking to pass the arguments in c program that should be executed by the shell script. e.g. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int i; for (i=1;i<argc; i++) { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharlin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk field to a command line executed within awk

Hi, I am trying to pass awk field to a command line executed within awk (need to convert a timestamp into formatted date). All my attempts failed this far. Here's an example. It works fine with timestamp hard-codded into the command echo "1381653229 something" |awk 'BEGIN{cmd="date -d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxer
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I pass arguments to system command in a awk script?

Hi I need your help, please How can I pass arguments to system command in a awk script?... for example: byte=substr(cadena,pos,2); system("grep -n byte mapeo.txt"); Does it exist a way? Thanks for advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris21
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command line arguments not taking

# more minusf.awk #!/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS=":"; } { if ( $2 == "" ) { print $1 ": no password!"; } } # ./minusf.awk aa aa aa aa awk: can't open aa (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sri.phani
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file lines and pass line values as arguments.

Dears, Need help to implement below requirement A file (detail.txt)contain : 1st column: Stream 2nd column: PathAddress 3rd column: Counterlimit 4th column: TransactionDateColumn 5th column: DateType 6th column: SleepValue 7th column: Status Need to write a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
1 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd, ypchfn, ypchsh - change your password in the NIS database SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [-f] [-l] [-p] [user] ypchfn [user] ypchsh [user] DESCRIPTION
The standard passwd(1), chfn(1) and chsh(1) cannot be used under Linux to change the users NIS password, shell and GECOS information, because they only modify the password file on the local host. For changing the NIS information, they are replaced by their NIS counter- parts, yppasswd, ypchfn and ypchsh. These commands are the same program, linked to different names. Using the command line switches, you can choose whether to update your password -p, your login shell -l, or your GECOS field -f, or a combination of them. yppasswd implies the -p option, if no other option is given. If you use the -f or -l option, you also need to add the -p flag. ypchfn implies the -f option, and ypchsh -l. When invoked without the user argument, the account information for the invoking user will be updated, otherwise that of user will be updated. This option is only available to the super-user. If the yppasswdd daemon on the server supports it, you can give the root password of the server instead of the users [old] password. All tools will first prompt the user for the current NIS password needed for authentication with the yppasswdd(8) daemon. Subsequently, the program prompts for the updated information: yppasswd or -l Change the user's NIS password. The user is prompted for the new password. While typing the password, echoing is turned off, so the password does not appear on the screen. An empty password is rejected, as are passwords shorter than six characters. The user will then be requested to retype the password to make sure it wasn't misspelled the first time. ypchsh or -l Change the user's login shell. The user is prompted for a new shell, offering the old one as default: Login shell [/bin/sh]: _ To accept the default, simply press return. To clear the shell field in your passwd(5) file entry (so that the system's default shell is selected), enter the string none. ypchfn or -f Change the user's full name and related information. Traditionally, some applications expect the GECOS field (field 4) of the passwd(5) file to contain the user's real name (as opposed to the login name) plus some additional information like the office phone number. This information is displayed by finger(1) and probably some other tools, too. When setting the full name, ypchfn displays the following prompts, with the defaults in brackets: Name [Joe Doe]: Location [2nd floor, bldg 34]: Office Phone [12345]: Home Phone []: To accept a default, simply press return. To clear a field, enter the string none. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), finger(1), passwd(5), passwd(1), ypcat(1), yppasswdd(8), ypserv(8), ypwhich(1) AUTHOR
yppasswd is part of the yp-tools package, which was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>. YP Tools 2.7 May 1998 yppasswd(1)