Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script almost works... one error Post 302936842 by carborane on Saturday 28th of February 2015 10:14:20 AM
Old 02-28-2015
Code:
variable=&(command)

oh yes i messed this up.

it should be: $ instead of &.

yeah i'll try the while loop, thank you

Last edited by carborane; 02-28-2015 at 11:20 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works fine until I | more

Hello all, This beats me. I have a script that executes some commands and redirects their output to some text files that I will parse. The commands are along the lines of: dsmadmc -id=admin -pa=admin -outfile=/home/tools/qlog.txt q log f=d If I just run the script it works. If I execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skovian
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - how come this script works?

#!/usr/bin/perl open (DATA, file.txt); @array = <DATA>; close (DATA); open (DATA, ">$file.txt"); for (@array) { s/text/replace text/; push(@contents,$_); } seek(DATA, 0, 0); print DATA (@contents); close(DATA); could someone please explain how this works. i've been... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error: `mv olddir/ newdir/ ` never works on new version of bash?

Suppose you have a directory called "olddir" exists but no "newdir", you want to rename "olddir" to"newdir" In previous versions (at least in 2.05b.0) of bash, you can try mv olddir/ newdir/ OR mv olddir/ newdir But in new versions of bash, if you mv olddir/ newdir/ BASH panics: mv:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find .... -exec rm .... \; works, but gives an error

I am using find to get all the instances of a given directory name, then remove those directories with a -exec rm command. here is an example: mkdir -p foo/bar find foo -name bar -exec rm -rf {} \; foo will get deleted as I desired, however this pops out on standard error: find: foo/bar:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afifi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works with bash 3.0 but not 3.2.

Hello, So my knowledge of bash scripting is not that great and I have been trying to solve this problem on my own for awhile to no avail. Here's the error I get when running it with an OS that uses bash 3.2.x: testagain.sh: line 10: *-1: syntax error: operand expected (error token is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forkandspoon
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Works on command line but not in script

Hey guys. Hopefully this is an easy one but having reference similar problems on the web I still can't fix it. I am doing a recursive find and replace from a script. Of course I could just run the damn thing from the command line but it's bugging me now and want to get it working. grep -rl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyjstewart
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works but doesn't?

Hi everyone I'm new here so and I'm just starting to learn a bit of Solaris and I'm working on repairing 10 year old scripts for our system here at work. When I execute the commands at my prompt everything go's through smooth. I'm using gedit to edit my code because I'm still getting used to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 82280zx
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl error in batch command but works one at a time

In the below perl executes if one file is processed perfect. However, when multiple files are processed in batch which is preferred I get the below error that I can not seem to fix it as the '' necessary for the command to execute, but seem to only work for one -arg option. Thank you :). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works, but I think it could be better and faster

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and to bash scripting. I did some stuff with VB.net, Batch, and VBScripting in the past, but because I shifted over to Linux, I am learning to script in Bash at this moment. So bear with me if I seem to script like a newbie, that's just because I am ;-) OK, I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cornelvis
9 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)