Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with xargs
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with xargs Post 302936578 by wbport on Thursday 26th of February 2015 12:53:07 PM
Old 02-26-2015
Problem with xargs

I entered the following
Code:
<zzz.list xargs showtell |more

which does a
Code:
 echo "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< $1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"
 head -20 $1

The file zzz.list contains 525 lines representing user scripts (1 per line), but only the first, 181st, and 399th lines were processed. What am I missing?

TIA

Last edited by rbatte1; 03-02-2015 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Removed FONT and COLOR tags from CODE blocks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using find and xargs

I'm using Imagemagick to create thumbnails for a large directory tree. The only thing I can't see is how to get it to write the thumbnails to a "thumbs" subdirectory! Either of these two commands from the Imagemagick site does most of the job: find -name '*.jpg' | xargs -n1 sh -c 'convert $0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixote
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with "xargs rm -i"

Hi, I could not understand why the following command does not work find . -name "foo" | xargs rm -i but, find . -name "foo" | xargs rm works perfectly alright. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with grep in combination with xargs

Dear all, I have tried the following 2 lines xargs -t -i -exec grep -i -w {} file_1 >>test < file_2 cat -s file_2| xargs -t -i -exec grep -i -w {} file_1 >> test They were meant to search for the contents of file_2 in file_1 and write the respective lines of file_1 into file "test" .... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruno
15 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem in using wildcard characters in xargs with find

Hi, Under my parent diectory I have directory named "Response" in many of its subfolders. I am interested to see all files with extention .pro in Response Directory. I am giving following command - find . -name "Response" -type d | xargs -i ls -lrt {}/*.pro but it is not giving result. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs problem

Hi From the xargs man page (Solaris): ls $1 | xargs -I {} -t mv $1/{} $2/{} This would move all the files in directory $1 to directory $2 Problem 1: In a shell script if I want to move files in d1 to d2 dir1=~/d1 dir2=~/d2 ls $dir1 | xargs -I {} -t mv $dir1/{} $dir2/{} does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs command problem

Hi I am trying to use "xargs" command to loop through each file, modify it and overwrite the old file with the modification but with the same file name. I thought it is easy but I just can't get it to work I tried the following I thought {} would give me the current file name, but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger66
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

hi Could any one please tell me the option using which we can run multiple commands using xargs I have list of files, I want to run dos2unix and chmod at one shot on them I tried google n searched man pages but couldnt really find the solution , please help right now im doing this ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping problem with xargs

I'm trying to pipe the output from a command into another using xargs but is not getting what I want. Running this commands: find . -name '33_cr*.rod' | xargs -n1 -t -i cut -f5 {} | sort -k1.3n | uniq | wc -l give the following output: cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod ... 9224236... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

Using the bash shell I'm trying to either create a command for the command line or a script that will show netstat info for a given process name. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:$ ps aux |grep catalina |grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' 5132 $ netstat -nlp |grep 5132 (Not all processes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: axiopisty
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using xargs with rm

I am trying to call xargs, however rm is complaining find . -maxdepth 1 -name "*tests*" -print0 | xargs -0 rm rm: missing operand Try `rm --help' for more information. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)