Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Round off Number in File
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Round off Number in File Post 302933829 by rohit_shinez on Monday 2nd of February 2015 12:45:15 PM
Old 02-02-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by senhia83
Try

Code:
awk -F, 'NR>2{ for ( i = 2 ; i<=6; i=i+2 ) { $i=sprintf("%.2f",$i);   }}1' OFS="," file

Just a few suggestion its just a sample file my csv is having more than 6 fields so 6th field is not the last field and also my file size is huge having lines of more than 2 lakh will it be faster using awk

---------- Post updated at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Try this small change to your own code:
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS=","}
NR>2 {
  $2=sprintf("%.2f",$2) 
  $4=sprintf("%.2f",$4)
  $6=sprintf("%.2f",$6)  
}1' file.csv

Hi is it way to perform in better way i mean taking performance in do consideration since i would process more than 2 lakh line records

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to round a value

Hello, In a unix shell script,i want to round a variabele to a nearest number Ex: set count=104.4 How can i round that to 105.? Thanks, Sateesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

round in KSH

Is there an easy way to round a number up in Korn shell? ie. 10.4 --> 11 Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

round a number

In a shell script - How do I round a decimal number (contained in a variable) to the nearest whole number? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: achieve
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

it's urgent ! round number in perl scripting

my $number = 12.345673412 I need 3 digits after decimal or after dot(.) i mean , i need only 12.345 I used int(), ceil(), floor() but it gives me only 12 I need it. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Round Robin Distribution of Contents of file to 3 files

Hi I need to create a script that distributes in round robin fashion the contents of a file to 3 files. The number of lines in a content of file can vary from 1-n(Each line is just a one letter word).The entire lines needs to get distributed into 3 files ( The order doesnt matter) , at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: police
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Round off the a Decimal value.

HI, I have a script which is used to calculate the Memory & CPU utilization a server. memx=`ssh -l siebel1 ${f} /usr/sbin/prtconf|grep -i 'Memory size'|tr -s " "|/usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F" " '{print $3 * 1024}'` v5=`ssh -l siebel1 ${f} vmstat 1 2 | tail -1 | tr -s " " | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -v... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dear_abhi2007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to round a number

Hey everyone, I was wondering if i am able to write a sed command to round a number to two decimal places. So for example: 1.58674 would be 1.58 I just want to chop off the numbers to the right of the second digit after the period. I know this is probably trivial but the closest i got was... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GmGeubt
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Round up -FASTA file

I have the following script: awk 'FNR==NR{s+=$3;next;} { print $1 , $2, 100*$3/s }' and the following file: >P39PT-1224 Freq 900 cccctacgacggcattggtaatggctcagctgctccggatcccgcaagccatcttggatatgagggttcgtcggcctcttcagccaagg-cccccagcagaacatccagctgatcg >P39PT-784 Freq 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
2 Replies
MINMAX(l)																 MINMAX(l)

NAME
minmax - Find extreme values in data tables SYNOPSIS
minmax [ files] [ -C ] [ -D ] [ -H[nrec] ] [ -Idx[/dy] ] [ -L ] [ -M[flag] ] [ -: ] [ -bi[s][n] ] DESCRIPTION
minmax reads its standard input [or from files] and finds the extreme values in each of the columns. It recognizes NaNs and will print warnings if the number of columns vary from record to record. As an option, minmax will find the extent of the first two columns rounded up and down to the nearest multiple of dx/dy. This output will be in the form -Rw/e/s/n which can be used directly in the command line for other programs, or simply in column form. xyzfile ASCII [or binary, see -b] file(s) holding a fixed number of data columns. OPTIONS
-C Report the min/max values per column in separate columns [Default uses <min/max> format] -D Sets longitude discontinuity to the Dateline (-180/+180) [Default is Greenwich (0-360)]. Requires -L. -H Input file(s) has Header record(s). Number of header records can be changed by editing your .gmtdefaults file. If used, GMT default is 1 header record. -I Report the min/max of the first two columns to the nearest multiple of dx and dy, and output this in the form -Rw/e/s/n (unless -C is set). -L Indicates that the x column contains longitudes, which may be periodic in 360 degrees [Default assumes no periodicity]. -M Multiple segment file(s). Segments are separated by a special record. For ASCII files the first character must be flag [Default is '>']. For binary files all fields must be NaN. -: Toggles between (longitude,latitude) and (latitude,longitude) input/output. [Default is (longitude,latitude)]. Applies to geo- graphic coordinates only. Only works when -I is selected. -bi Selects binary input. Append s for single precision [Default is double]. Append n for the number of columns in the binary file(s). [Default is 2 input columns]. EXAMPLES
To find the extreme values in the file ship_gravity.xygd, try minmax ship_gravity.xygd Output should look like ship_gravity.xygd: N = 6992 <326.125/334.684> <-28.0711/-8.6837> <-47.7/177.6> <0.6/3544.9> To find the extreme values in the file track.xy to the nearest 5 units and use this region to draw a line using psxy, try psxy `minmax -I5 track.xy` track.xy -Jx1 -B5 -P > track.ps To find the min and max values for each column, but rounded to integers, try minmax junkfile -C -I1 SEE ALSO
gmt(1gmt) 1 Jan 2004 MINMAX(l)