Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Recovering DATA from sparc classic Post 302931480 by achenle on Tuesday 13th of January 2015 10:29:36 AM
Old 01-13-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange47
yes, you can do it on x86. connect it to (pci or similar) scsi card, make a dd image, and use qemu to emulate Solaris9. better yet, I think Linux can mount sparc ufs directly from raw image.
There's likely to be an endian issue in your file system. It SHOULDN'T hurt to try though, especially if you just try getting your data from an image file. I'd be real leery of trying to mount the file system directly.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Filesystems: Hiding and recovering data

Here is a very interesting article on not only hiding data on filesystems (the article deals mainly with the ext2 filesystem, which should also work with etx3), but also recovering, including from slack space on raw blocks, and even deleted data! ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recovering lost folders/files data

Hello, Is there a way to recover data from a SCO UNIXWARE 7.4 operating system without using a tape backup device? We believe there is some data in some directories that was there once; but not anymore, we don't have a backup on tape. So, is there any other solution to recover? Hope... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorgy
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Flash drive recovering data.

I have a flash drive which contained very important docs. But somebidy accidently dleted those files. I want to recover these files anyhow. I have listened the Linux have best possible chances of recovering it. Can anybody tell me how to recover that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixhead
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to login Solaris 10 Sparc - Data Access Error

Hello everyone, This is the first time I am installing Solaris. I have SunBlade 1500 Wrkstn. I installed Solaris 10 Sparc. The installation went successfully but I don't get the login screen. I get the following error message: Boot device: disk:a File and agrs:- Data Access Error Ok ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfsaeed
4 Replies

5. Solaris

SPARC, data sectors/track

when I try to enter the value 424 for "data sectors/track" in format menu, it returns this error: `424' is out of range. is that hard drive parameter important? what to enter? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
2 Replies

6. Linux

Recovering corrupted LVM data: No readable superblocks

Hi all. Not sure where to post this, so figured I'd start here. I have a LVM2 partition that has become unreadable. I've scoured dozens of threads about the topic and have hit a wall, so any advice is appreciated. Below is what I think shows what my major problem is: First, a simple mount... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dargason
3 Replies
RUMP_UDF(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       RUMP_UDF(8)

NAME
rump_udf -- mount a udf image with a userspace server SYNOPSIS
file-system PUFFS pseudo-device putter rump_udf [options] image mountpoint DESCRIPTION
NOTE! This manual page describes features specific to the rump(3) file server. Please see mount_udf(8) for a full description of the avail- able command line options. The rump_udf utility can be used to mount udf file systems. It uses rump(3) and p2k(3) to facilitate running the file system as a server in userspace. As opposed to mount_udf(8), rump_udf does not use file system code within the kernel and therefore does not require kernel sup- port except puffs(4). Apart from a minor speed penalty there is no downside with respect to in-kernel code. rump_udf does not require using vnconfig(8) for mounts from regular files and the file path can be passed directly as the image parameter. In fact, the use of vnconfig(8) is discouraged, since it is unable to properly deal with images on sparse files. In case the image contains multiple partitions, the desired partition must be indicated by appending the token ``%DISKLABEL:p%'' to the image path. The letter ``p'' specifies the partition as obtained via disklabel(8). For example, to mount partition ``e'' from image /tmp/wd0.img, use ``/tmp/wd0.img%DISKLABEL:e%''. It is recommended that untrusted file system images be mounted with rump_udf instead of mount_udf(8). Corrupt file system images commonly cause the file system to crash the entire kernel, but with rump_udf only the userspace server process will dump core. To use rump_udf via mount(8), the flags -o rump and -t udf should be given. Similarly, rump_udf is used instead of mount_udf(8) if ``rump'' is added to the options field of fstab(5). SEE ALSO
p2k(3), puffs(3), rump(3), mount_udf(8) HISTORY
The rump_udf utility first appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BSD
November 21, 2010 BSD