Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Convert rootvg to scalable
Operating Systems AIX Convert rootvg to scalable Post 302931257 by rbatte1 on Monday 12th of January 2015 07:32:21 AM
Old 01-12-2015
I always strive to keep rootvg (or its equivalents on other OSs) empty apart from what is necessary to boot the server and get on the network. Even backup software can be installed again and good software will offer you the ability to read the backup catalogues from any tapes you have written so you can rebuild whatever it needs to get your real restores running.

For me, a rootvg should be the smallest disk you can see from the SMS menus (where you trigger the initial install or mksysb recovery from) and if local, it needs to be a pair. 36Gb (each) should be plenty. I have one server with a pair of the and only 12Gb allocated on each. I have no plans to allocate any non critical (so far as the OS is concerned) space in there. It's a waste perhaps,but I prefer to see it as a bearable cost.

We even force users we define using a home directory outside rootvg. There is no problem creating a filesystem with a mount point of /var/backup-logs or whatever, and it is probably safer that creating a separate filesystem with a symbolic link to it.

Growing rootvg might mean that you can no longer back it up with a mksysb and you will have problems restoring it too as your requirements are bigger than usual.

Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 01-12-2015 at 09:10 AM..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Cloned Rootvg

New Question: The purpose of an alternate disk install is in my opinion to have a ready-to-use-backup and i've read that it is possible to install filesets or software on the cloned disk for testing purposal while the normal system is still running. The question is: how do you tell AIX (5.2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvanelshocht
5 Replies

2. AIX

mirror rootvg

Hello I have a question I have a box with Aix 5.3 with rootvg on mirror. I deleted a filesystem and I create a new one to install some software but when I type lsvg -l rootvg all my filesystems has mirror unless the new one. My question is I can mirror this fs only ??? or I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
9 Replies

3. AIX

extendvg and rootvg

When attempting to extend rootvg to a new physical disk I received the following message: 0516-1162 extendvg: Warning, The Physical Partition Size of 64 requires the creation of 1093 partitions for hdisk5. The limitation for volume group rootvg is 1016 physical partitions... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
4 Replies

4. AIX

rootvg mirrored

I want to increase the size of /tmp by 1GB I know that the command is chfs -a size=+1G /tmp But the rootvg is mirrored and when I do a lsvg -p rootvg, I could see 2 disks. Will there be any impact if I increase the size of /tmp when the rootvg is mirrored ? Please advise. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

5. AIX

Reducing / on rootvg

The root filesystem was mirrored, someone/something stopped mirroring, and increased / and /home to ridiculous values (/ got increased to 102gb and its only using 4.3gb, so 98gb is free). Can I reduce the / (/dev/hd4) filesytem down WITHOUT corrupting the the OS? I would do a: chfs -a size=10g... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
6 Replies
BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)					       AFS Command Reference					       BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)

NAME
backup_restoredb - Restores a saved copy of the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup restoredb [-portoffset <TC port offset>] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup res [-p <TC port offset>] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup restoredb command restores to the Backup Server machine's local disk a version of the Backup Database previously written to tape by using the backup savedb command. (If the "FILE YES" instruction appears in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file associated with the specified port offset, then the backup restoredb command restores data from the backup data file listed for that port offset in the Tape Coordinator's /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, instead of from tape. For the sake of clarity, the following text refers to tapes only, but the Backup System handles backup data files in much the same way.) The most common reason to run this command is to replace a corrupted or otherwise damaged Backup Database; use the backup dbverify command to determine the database's status. The command can also be used to restore records that were removed from the database when the -archive argument was included on a previous backup savedb command. The command completely overwrites the existing Backup Database records for volume sets, Tape Coordinators, and the dump hierarchy with the corresponding information from the saved version. It does not overwrite existing dump records, but instead interleaves the records from the copy being restored. If both the existing database (on the Backup Server machine's disk) and the copy being restored include a record about the same dump, the Backup System retains the one in the existing database. The Tape Coordinator's default response to this command is to access the first tape it needs by invoking the "MOUNT" instruction in the local /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file, or by prompting the backup operator to insert the tape if there is no "MOUNT" instruction. However, if the "AUTOQUERY NO" instruction appears in the CFG_device_name file, or if the issuer of the butc command included the -noautoquery flag, the Tape Coordinator instead expects the tape to be in the device already. If it is not, or is the wrong tape, the Tape Coordinator invokes the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts the operator. It also invokes the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts for any additional tapes needed to complete the restore operation; the backup operator must arrange to provide them. CAUTIONS
If the database is corrupted, do not attempt to restore a saved database on top of it. Instead, use the instructions for repairing a corrupted database in the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter about performing backup operations. OPTIONS
-portoffset <TC port offset> Specifies the port offset number of the Tape Coordinator handling the tapes for this operation. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the Backup Database being restored from the Tape Coordinator with port offset 0: % backup restoredb PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
butc(5), backup(8), backup_dbverify(8), backup_savedb(8), butc(8) The OpenAFS Administration Guide at <http://docs.openafs.org/AdminGuide/>. COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)