Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Help needed HP UX 11.11i new install on C8000 Desktop messaging system error CAN'T FIX Post 302929860 by vbe on Saturday 27th of December 2014 02:57:10 PM
Old 12-27-2014
If the ports of your router are 100MB full duplex it should be the same HP-UX side, avoid auto unless you have GB...
you can checkout with lanadmin command
Did you use setparms to configure your IP etc...?
Ping is not enough to say all is working, have you another host in your network you can connect to from your HP-UX if so, connect to th remote and try to transfer a big file, if ttransparent then it seems to work if dead slow then you have a network conf mismatch, it must be solved before trying internet... the most plausible is port mismatch like your HP-UX is 10 halfduplex and your router is 100 full, or both are 100 but failed in auto and set to half (HP-UX side ).
Your
Code:
Using /etc/hosts on: c80001
looking up FILES
*** no address information available for "unix.com"

shows probably your resolv.conf is not set or is not properly set
It needs a DNS server...
Give it the address of your router and see if it works, since I have never trying to configure hosts privately, I dont know what you should put for a domain name
I would try home or nothing and put a line with:
Code:
 preferred server 192.168.1.1

I let you search for that
for the nsswitch.conf file, for the line host you can try something like
Code:
 host file DNS

but try to look for samples because I am at home for another week at least in bed and have no access to my docs... and with my medication I doubt having memory at optimum...
Courage and good luck
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started HP-UX

Hi People! I've just got a HP-UX system dumped on me. I've started it, followed all the install/setup questions, and everything was going ok, right upto when going into the desktop enviroment I got the message "The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started". Now I've checked the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpiuk
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo install on HP UX 11i(basic question)

Hello folks, had a question. I was trying to install sudotool on HP -UX 11i. I downloaded gzip file from sudo site and unzipped to /tmp folder on HP box how do i install it?? do i need to run "swinstall" menu and then choose from there? THanks! karthik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

11i install error

Hi Experts I have a C3000 workstation onto which I am trying to install 11i however I am running into the following error. ENTRY_INIT failed, status = -4: Unrecoverable hardware error (followed by a hex dump) I have re-tried many times and on one occasion successfully got through to CD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

HP UX 11i and HP C8000

Hey, i want install HP UX 11i on HP C8000. When i start the C8000 i get a prompt. On this Prompt i write BOot P1 P1 is my DVD-ROM (IDE). I get the Message "ERROR: Not a boot path". When i write SEArch the Prompt said: P0 scsiA.6 HP73.4MAT3073NP P1 ide.1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: numx
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The DT messaging system could not be started

Hello All, I am getting " The DT messaging system could not be started" message when wants to login as root on a box running on tru64 5.1A. /etc/hosts is ok. when i see in .dt/errorlog it shows message server could not be started. Thanks for help. Awadhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awadhesh
2 Replies

6. Solaris

how to install iplanet messaging server 5.2 on solaris 10

hi all, I want to install iplanet messaging service in solaris 10. if it is possible plz send the procedure for installation.its urgent plz regards spandan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandhan
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

RX2620 11i V3 install halts at load ram disk

Hi there, hope you can help since I'm a novice and playing with this machine to maybe one day use it with our non-profit art project (plantage9.de). I have the proper media for itanium and everything seems okay, loads the DVD etc., until it halts without any progress for hours (see also image... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plantage
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

RPM Install error: libc.so.6 is needed by

I have an application rpm which when installed is failing to get installed with error error: Failed dependencies: libc.so.6 is needed by testSam-4.7.x86_64 libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by testSam-4.7.x86_64 libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by testSam-4.7.x86_64 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

The DT messaging system could not be started.

Good Morning, Users can no longer log into SunBlade 2500 Solaris 9 system (though root still can). Here's what I'm getting and what I've done. I'm most suspicious of the full drive since that pops up twice and I did see one looks full. What's a good way to reduce what's on it?- or.. what else... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
2 Replies
CARP(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   CARP(4)

NAME
carp -- Common Address Redundancy Protocol SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device carp [count] DESCRIPTION
The carp interface is a pseudo-device which implements and controls the CARP protocol. carp allows multiple hosts on the same local network to share a set of IP addresses. Its primary purpose is to ensure that these addresses are always available, but in some configurations carp can also provide load balancing functionality. A carp interface can be created at runtime using the ifconfig carpN create command. To use carp, the administrator needs to configure at minimum a common virtual host ID and virtual host IP address on each machine which is to take part in the virtual group. Additional parameters can also be set on a per-interface basis: advbase and advskew, which are used to con- trol how frequently the host sends advertisements when it is the master for a virtual host, and pass which is used to authenticate carp advertisements. Finally carpdev is used to specify which interface the carp device attaches to. If unspecified, the kernel attempts to set carpdev by looking for another interface with the same subnet. These configurations can be done using ifconfig(8), or through the SIOCSVH ioctl. Additionally, there are a number of global parameters which can be set using sysctl(8): net.inet.carp.allow Accept incoming carp packets. Enabled by default. net.inet.carp.preempt Allow virtual hosts to preempt each other. It is also used to failover carp interfaces as a group. When the option is enabled and one of the carp enabled physical interfaces goes down, advskew is changed to 240 on all carp interfaces. See also the first example. Disabled by default. net.inet.carp.log Log bad carp packets. Disabled by default. net.inet.carp.arpbalance Balance local traffic using ARP. Disabled by default. EXAMPLES
For firewalls and routers with multiple interfaces, it is desirable to failover all of the carp interfaces together, when one of the physical interfaces goes down. This is achieved by the preempt option. Enable it on both host A and B: # sysctl -w net.inet.carp.preempt=1 Assume that host A is the preferred master and 192.168.1.x/24 is configured on one physical interface and 192.168.2.y/24 on another. This is the setup for host A: # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.2.1/24 netmask 255.255.255.0 The setup for host B is identical, but it has a higher advskew: # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 Because of the preempt option, when one of the physical interfaces of host A fails, advskew is adjusted to 240 on all its carp interfaces. This will cause host B to preempt on both interfaces instead of just the failed one. In order to set up an ARP balanced virtual host, it is necessary to configure one virtual host for each physical host which would respond to ARP requests and thus handle the traffic. In the following example, two virtual hosts are configured on two hosts to provide balancing and failover for the IP address 192.168.1.10. First the carp interfaces on Host A are configured. The advskew of 100 on the second virtual host means that its advertisements will be sent out slightly less frequently. # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 The configuration for host B is identical, except the skew is on virtual host 1 rather than virtual host 2. # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 Finally, the ARP balancing feature must be enabled on both hosts: # sysctl -w net.inet.carp.arpbalance=1 When the hosts receive an ARP request for 192.168.1.10, the source IP address of the request is used to compute which virtual host should answer the request. The host which is master of the selected virtual host will reply to the request, the other(s) will ignore it. This way, locally connected systems will receive different ARP replies and subsequent IP traffic will be balanced among the hosts. If one of the hosts fails, the other will take over the virtual MAC address, and begin answering ARP requests on its behalf. Note: ARP balancing only works on the local network segment. It cannot balance traffic that crosses a router, because the router itself will always be balanced to the same virtual host. SEE ALSO
netstat(1), sysctl(3), arp(4), arp(8), ifconfig(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The carp device first appeared in OpenBSD 3.5. BSD
October 16, 2003 BSD