Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH function to rename file to last mondays date Post 302926213 by robshal on Friday 21st of November 2014 08:48:44 PM
Old 11-21-2014
BASH function to rename file to last mondays date

I'm trying to create a bash function that will allow me to rename a file name emails.txt to last monday's date

Code:
renem ()
{
        d=`date -d last-monday`
        mv ~/emails.txt ~/myemails/$d
}

but i en up wit this error any suggestion

Code:
mv: target `2014' is not a directory

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 11-24-2014 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a file to have Date and Line Count

Hi, I am trying to come with one line command which will rename a file to have Date (MMDDYYYY) and Line Count in the file. Any lead will be appreciated rgds bmk (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkux
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy/rename file as date() unix/shell

File.jpg I want to copy and rename this as 2008-12-02.jpg I tried this copy File.jpg date '%y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S'.jpg This doesnt work.... what do i do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hdogg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename File Based on Created Date

I am trying to rename files based on the created/born date of the file. I Have a total of 4000 files that i am trying to do this with and would like it to be log_yyyymmddhh.gz right now the files are maillog.???.gz. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to get this done via scipt? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paulb
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

If(Condition) Rename a file with (Date+Time) Stamp

Hi! Please see our current script: #!/usr/bin/ksh if (egrep "This string is found in the log" /a01/bpm.log) then mailx -s "Error from log" me@email.com, him@email.com </a01/bpm.log fi To the above existing script, we need to add the following change: 1) After finding the string,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to rename file that was generated today and which starts with date

hello, can someone please suggest a script to rename a file that was generated today and filename that being generated daily starts with date, its a xml file. here is example. # find . -type f -mtime -1 ./20130529_4995733057260357019.xml # this finename should be renamed to this format.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename the Linux log file to the rotation date

Hi all, could any provide me a solution for the below requirement. I have two files namely abc.log.1 and abc.log.2 The above files have time stamp as Dec 08 and Dec 09 I need to rename the files as abc.log.1_20141208 and abc.log.2_20141209 and move to another bkp directory. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar t
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename file after second occurence of underscore

I am trying to use bash to remove the text in all filenames after the second _ in specific files that end in .bam or .vcf. However the bash errors looking for the files in the directory. Thank you :). files in directory ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file

In the below bash I am trying to copy the only text file (always only one) in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/list/QC/metrics.txt and rename each of the 3 text files according to /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/list.txt using lines 3, 4 ,5. This format (that is list.txt) is always 5 lines. Thank you :). ... (12 Replies)
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename portion of file using match to another

In the portion of bash below I am using rename to match the $id variable to $file and when a match (there will alwsys be one) is found then the $id is removed from each bam and bam.bai in $file and _test is added to thee file name before the extension. Each of the variables is set correctly but... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)