Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Distinct filenames pattern
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Distinct filenames pattern Post 302926191 by freakabhi on Friday 21st of November 2014 04:51:35 PM
Old 11-21-2014
Distinct filenames pattern

Hi All,

I am working on designing the archival process for my system, where I will have to find distinct file names ( when excluded time_stamp extention ) from given directory and for each file type keep the latest and move all other older to different location ( lets say dir Back ). Below are example of files I will have :

-rw-r--r-- 1 user_id grp_name 10445 Oct 17 10:04 abc.dat.20141017_100517
-rw-r--r-- 1 user_id grp_name 10445 Oct 17 10:57 abc.dat.20141017_105829
-rw-r--r-- 1 user_id grp_name 10445 Oct 17 11:13 mno.dat.20141017_111422
-rw-r--r-- 1 user_id grp_name 10445 Oct 17 16:01 mno.dat.20141017_160144

==============:
I would expect to get distinct list and for each, keep latest :
So for above example I have 2 distinct file_type ( excluding time_stamped extention ) ==> abc.dat / mno.dat

then once i have list, I need to move older and keep latest.
for ex. for abc.dat :
I will keep abc.dat.20141017_105829 and move abc.dat.20141017_100517
to backup dir.

Is there any easy implementation for this one??

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep distinct values

this is a little more complex than that. I have a text file and I need to find all the distinct words that appear in a line after the word TABLESPACE when I grep for just the word tablespace, I get: how do i parse this a little better so i have a smaller file to read? This is just an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH find filenames in list that match certain "pattern."

I guess by "pattern," I mean something different from how that word is defined in the Linux world. If you take $ to mean a letter (a-z) and # to mean a number (0-9), then the pattern I'm trying to match is as follows: $$$##-####-###-###.jpg I'd like to write a script that reads in a list of files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Look for distinct files under a directory matching a pattern

Hi, I'm searching for a pattern 'java' under a directory but it is returning all the files containing 'java', but I want to have only distinct files not all. please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b.paramanatti
2 Replies

4. Web Development

SQL - Distinct plus more

Hi all, I have an interesting and I am sure simple question for yau'll. Basically this is what I am after: The table: CREATE TABLE places (id INT, city VARCHAR(24), name VARCHAR(24)); The data: id = 1, city = canberra, name = aaron id = 2, city = canberra, name = andrew id = 3, city... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: STOIE
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture filenames with a Pattern into another file

Hi i have a command in windows which captures the filenames with the same pattern and route it to another file. for example filetest_20110921, filetest_20110922,filetest_20110923 etc I would like to know the command in UNIX/LINUX for the same. The command which i am using in Windows is ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansurkhalil
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep distinct

Hello, I have a file which looks like: %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(7)*************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(70)************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(71)************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(72)************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(8)*************% %_SPE_RDP_NUM_ECH(9)*************% %_SPE_FLUXPREV_PRES1_MT_HT(2)****%... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for a pattern from filenames stored in a file

Hi, I have got some 10 filenames stored in a file or displayed in the console as a result of some query i made.. Now I need to open each of these files and search for a pattern in these 10 files.. Can someone help me with this? Thanks, Jean (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeanjkj
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the distinct of a particular field

From the below ps output , I want the distinct values of the third field (ie. I need the distinct PPIDs) $ ps -ef UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD root 1 0 0 Nov 10 - 48:49 /etc/init root 1769576 1 0 Nov 10 - 0:07... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: polavan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need the distinct of these lines

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 I have a text file (error log file) , which has occurences of an error message like ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 8 in tablespace xxxxxThere are around 3000 error messages like this in the error log file. But there are only 7 or 8 distinct... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pattern Match FileNames

I am on AIX. I need to list the contents of the directory based on a pattern and write an XML output file with file names. If a filename does NOT match the below pattern then write an OUTPUT xml file in the below xml format Pattern Starts with (.abc) and contains (def) Starts with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: techedipro
4 Replies
TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)													      TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)

NAME
trace-cmd-restore - restore a failed trace record SYNOPSIS
trace-cmd restore [OPTIONS] [command] cpu-file [cpu-file ...] DESCRIPTION
The trace-cmd(1) restore command will restore a crashed trace-cmd-record(1) file. If for some reason a trace-cmd record fails, it will leave a the per-cpu data files and not create the final trace.dat file. The trace-cmd restore will append the files to create a working trace.dat file that can be read with trace-cmd-report(1). When trace-cmd record runs, it spawns off a process per CPU and writes to a per cpu file usually called trace.dat.cpuX, where X represents the CPU number that it is tracing. If the -o option was used in the trace-cmd record, then the CPU data files will have that name instead of the trace.dat name. If a unexpected crash occurs before the tracing is finished, then the per CPU files will still exist but there will not be any trace.dat file to read from. trace-cmd restore will allow you to create a trace.dat file with the existing data files. OPTIONS
-c Create a partial trace.dat file from the machine, to be used with a full trace-cmd restore at another time. This option is useful for embedded devices. If a server contains the cpu files of a crashed trace-cmd record (or trace-cmd listen), trace-cmd restore can be executed on the embedded device with the -c option to get all the stored information of that embedded device. Then the file created could be copied to the server to run the trace-cmd restore there with the cpu files. If *-o* is not specified, then the file created will be called 'trace-partial.dat'. This is because the file is not a full version of something that trace-cmd-report(1) could use. -t tracing_dir Used with -c, it overrides the location to read the events from. By default, tracing information is read from the debugfs/tracing directory. -t will use that location instead. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just tar -cvf events.tar debugfs/tracing and copy and untar that file locally, and use that directory instead. -k kallsyms Used with -c, it overrides where to read the kallsyms file from. By default, /proc/kallsyms is used. -k will override the file to read the kallsyms from. This can be useful if the trace.dat file to create is from another machine. Just copy the /proc/kallsyms file locally, and use -k to point to that file. -o output' By default, trace-cmd restore will create a trace.dat file (or trace-partial.dat if -c is specified). You can specify a different file to write to with the -o option. -i input By default, trace-cmd restore will read the information of the current system to create the initial data stored in the trace.dat file. If the crash was on another machine, then that machine should have the trace-cmd restore run with the -c option to create the trace.dat partial file. Then that file can be copied to the current machine where trace-cmd restore will use -i to load that file instead of reading from the current system. EXAMPLES
If a crash happened on another box, you could run: $ trace-cmd restore -c -o box-partial.dat Then on the server that has the cpu files: $ trace-cmd restore -i box-partial.dat trace.dat.cpu0 trace.dat.cpu1 This would create a trace.dat file for the embedded box. SEE ALSO
trace-cmd(1), trace-cmd-record(1), trace-cmd-report(1), trace-cmd-start(1), trace-cmd-stop(1), trace-cmd-extract(1), trace-cmd-reset(1), trace-cmd-split(1), trace-cmd-list(1), trace-cmd-listen(1) AUTHOR
Written by Steven Rostedt, <rostedt@goodmis.org[1]> RESOURCES
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git COPYING
Copyright (C) 2010 Red Hat, Inc. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). NOTES
1. rostedt@goodmis.org mailto:rostedt@goodmis.org 06/11/2014 TRACE-CMD-RESTORE(1)