Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Fsck -n on mounted FS - how unreliable ? Post 302925703 by maraixadm on Tuesday 18th of November 2014 07:47:15 PM
Old 11-18-2014
I get that I don't want to modify the FS live, however, a really simplistic construction is that the buffer cache contents on top of the disk contents represents the consistent (correct) state of the FS. There is a delay in that consistent state being written through to the disk, i.e. depending on when it's written through. I said "simplistic" and disclaim right away that I don't know the slightest about how that picture changes with journaling.

So again, I don't want to modify it live, but why is it improbably to -check- it live, by looking at the buffer cache, and through to the corresponding on-disk data, and noting (probably with a fair amount of complexity) what inconsistencies -might- be corruption, or which ones are unequivocal signs of it. I anticipate immediately that telling the difference between an inconsistency that's the result of write-through lag, vs. one where no matter how hard the OS tries, the on-disk data can't be made to match what's in the buffer cache because of I/O errors.

Glad to know the conclusion that it's not possible, I'm just curious of the details of why.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

fsck -y

Once in a while, I would think it advisable to run fsck -y to check the disk. Should I sign in as su or sudo? What is the difference and which is preferred? Thank you in Advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpatrick
4 Replies

2. Solaris

fsck

OS: Solaris 5.8 Everytime I run fsck -y I get: FILE SYSTEM STATE IN SUPERBLOCK IS WRONG; FIX? yes Do I need to run fsck with the backup superblock option or is there some other option I should use. I have tried the format->analyze->read option but that does not report any corrupt blocks.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck on a mounted file system?

I have a Solaris 7 box. We got a strange error in the syslog, which read as follows: Nov 15 11:50:16 server-01 unix: NOTICE: free inode /mount1/8025691 had size 0x20d I consulted with a fellow sysadmin, and he suggested running "fsck -N" on the filesystem in question without unmounting it. So I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GKnight
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck - what should be done?

I want to use fsck to check and repair my linux system. When I use this command, what do I need to pay attention to or what should I do to make job running successfully. Thanks for your inputs for a newbie. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

5. Solaris

fsck -o

Hello I am getting this in dmesg: /mount1: unexpected free inode 1262865, run fsck(1M) -o f What are the options I should use with fsck? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about fsck

i want to know what does it mean by doing a consistentcy check fsck on a disk and why journaling filesystems dont need to do it and what is meant by disk is in a consistent state when writing because entries are recorded in a journal and then to the metadata and then removed from journal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farhan_t49
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fsck error

Hello I own a SPARC Ultra 10 workstation (standalone) and when issuing the fsck command I get the following output on fs C0t0d0s7: Phase 1 (checks blocks and sizes): dada warning: /pci@lf;0/pci@1, 1/ide@3/dad@0,0(dad1): ATA Transport failed:reason, `incomplete'> Uncorrectable data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjwops
2 Replies

8. Solaris

fsck issue

I am not able to boot into solaris. I am getting following message. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0) is being checked. Warning - Unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually(fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0). I ran fsck manually but it didn't work. Help from anyone would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: likhitgatagat
1 Replies

9. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Fsck in vxvm

Hi, When we are running fsck in vxvm FS within few sec it will completed even if data is more than 500GB or in TB also. compare to UFS FS in that it will take more time compare with vxvm.UFS check FS in block level. & then vvxm on where its checking the FS. Please explain. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger09
1 Replies
FS_SETCACHESIZE(1)					       AFS Command Reference						FS_SETCACHESIZE(1)

NAME
fs_setcachesize - Sets the size of the disk cache SYNOPSIS
fs setcachesize [-blocks <size (0 = reset)>>] [-reset] [-help] fs setca [-b <size (0 = reset)>>] [-r] [-h] fs cachesize [-b <size (0 = reset)>>] [-r] [-h] fs ca [-b <size (0 = reset)>>] [-r] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs setcachesize command changes the number of kilobyte blocks of local disk space available to the Cache Manager for its data cache, on machines that use a disk cache. The command is not operative on machines that use a memory cache. To return the cache size to the default value specified in the third field of the local /etc/openafs/cacheinfo file, provide a value of 0 to the -blocks argument. To return the cache size to the value set when the machine was last rebooted, use the -reset flag instead of the -blocks argument. This is normally the amount specified in the cacheinfo file, unless the -blocks argument was included on the afsd command to override the cacheinfo value. To display the current cache size and amount of cache in use, for both disk and memory caches, use the fs getcacheparms command. CAUTIONS
This command is not operative on machines using a memory cache, and results in an error message. To change memory cache size, edit the cacheinfo file and reboot, or reboot and provide the -blocks argument to the afsd command. On machines using a disk cache, do not set the cache size to exceed 85% to 90% of the actual disk space available for the cache directory. The cache implementation itself requires a small amount of space on the partition. OPTIONS
-blocks <size> Specifies the amount of disk space available for the Cache Manager to devote to the cache. The size should be a positive integer followed by an optional suffix: "K" for kibibytes (1024 bytes, the default), "M" for mebibytes (1024 kibibytes), "G" for gibibytes (1024 mebibytes), and "T" for tebibytes (1024 gibibytes). Provide a value of 0 to set cache size to the default specified in the cacheinfo file. -reset Returns the cache size to the value set when the machine was last booted. This agrees with the value in the cacheinfo file unless the -blocks argument was used on the afsd command. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command sets the disk cache size to 25000 kilobyte blocks. % fs setcachesize -blocks 25000 Both of the following commands reset the disk cache size to the value in the cacheinfo file, assuming that the -blocks argument to the afsd command was not used. % fs setcachesize -blocks 0 % fs setcachesize -reset PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be logged in as the local superuser root. SEE ALSO
cacheinfo(5), afsd(8), fs_getcacheparms(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_SETCACHESIZE(1)