Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Fsck -n on mounted FS - how unreliable ? Post 302925526 by Corona688 on Monday 17th of November 2014 05:42:02 PM
Old 11-17-2014
It never makes sense to fsck a mounted filesystem, especially a journalled one. The 'moving corruption' may be a race condition between the journal and the disk contents.

If you are truly concerned, scan them offline -- or at least remount them read-only.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

fsck -y

Once in a while, I would think it advisable to run fsck -y to check the disk. Should I sign in as su or sudo? What is the difference and which is preferred? Thank you in Advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpatrick
4 Replies

2. Solaris

fsck

OS: Solaris 5.8 Everytime I run fsck -y I get: FILE SYSTEM STATE IN SUPERBLOCK IS WRONG; FIX? yes Do I need to run fsck with the backup superblock option or is there some other option I should use. I have tried the format->analyze->read option but that does not report any corrupt blocks.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck on a mounted file system?

I have a Solaris 7 box. We got a strange error in the syslog, which read as follows: Nov 15 11:50:16 server-01 unix: NOTICE: free inode /mount1/8025691 had size 0x20d I consulted with a fellow sysadmin, and he suggested running "fsck -N" on the filesystem in question without unmounting it. So I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GKnight
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck - what should be done?

I want to use fsck to check and repair my linux system. When I use this command, what do I need to pay attention to or what should I do to make job running successfully. Thanks for your inputs for a newbie. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

5. Solaris

fsck -o

Hello I am getting this in dmesg: /mount1: unexpected free inode 1262865, run fsck(1M) -o f What are the options I should use with fsck? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about fsck

i want to know what does it mean by doing a consistentcy check fsck on a disk and why journaling filesystems dont need to do it and what is meant by disk is in a consistent state when writing because entries are recorded in a journal and then to the metadata and then removed from journal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farhan_t49
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fsck error

Hello I own a SPARC Ultra 10 workstation (standalone) and when issuing the fsck command I get the following output on fs C0t0d0s7: Phase 1 (checks blocks and sizes): dada warning: /pci@lf;0/pci@1, 1/ide@3/dad@0,0(dad1): ATA Transport failed:reason, `incomplete'> Uncorrectable data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjwops
2 Replies

8. Solaris

fsck issue

I am not able to boot into solaris. I am getting following message. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0) is being checked. Warning - Unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually(fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0). I ran fsck manually but it didn't work. Help from anyone would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: likhitgatagat
1 Replies

9. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Fsck in vxvm

Hi, When we are running fsck in vxvm FS within few sec it will completed even if data is more than 500GB or in TB also. compare to UFS FS in that it will take more time compare with vxvm.UFS check FS in block level. & then vvxm on where its checking the FS. Please explain. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger09
1 Replies
DEBUGREISERFS(8)                                              System Manager's Manual                                             DEBUGREISERFS(8)

NAME
debugreiserfs - The debugging tool for the ReiserFS filesystem. SYNOPSIS
debugreiserfs [ -dDJmoqpuSV ] [ -j device ] [ -B file ] [ -1 N ] device DESCRIPTION
debugreiserfs sometimes helps to solve problems with reiserfs filesystems. When run without options it prints the super block of the Reis- erFS filesystem found on the device. device is the special file corresponding to the device (e.g /dev/hdXX for an IDE disk partition or /dev/sdXX for a SCSI disk partition). OPTIONS
-j device prints the contents of the journal. The option -p allows it to pack the journal with other metadata into the archive. -J prints the journal header. -d prints the formatted nodes of the internal tree of the filesystem. -D prints the formatted nodes of all used blocks of the filesystem. -m prints the contents of the bitmap (slightly useful). -o prints the objectid map (slightly useful). -B file takes the list of bad blocks stored in the internal ReiserFS tree and translates it into an ascii list written to the specified file. -1 blocknumber prints the specified block of the filesystem. -p extracts the filesystem's metadata with debugreiserfs -p /dev/xxx | gzip -c > xxx.gz. None of your data are packed unless a filesys- tem corruption presents when the whole block having this corruption is packed. You send us the output, and we use it to create a filesystem with the same strucure as yours using debugreiserfs -u. When the data file is not too large, this usually allows us to quickly reproduce and debug the problem. -u builds the ReiserFS filesystem image with gunzip -c xxx.gz | debugreiserfs -u /dev/image of the previously packed metadata with debugreiserfs -p. The result image is not the same as the original filesystem, because mostly only metadata were packed with debu- greiserfs -p, but the filesystem structure is completely recreated. -S When -S is not specified -p deals with blocks marked used in the filesystem bitmap only. With this option set debugreiserfs will work with the entire device. -q When -p is in use, suppress showing the speed of progress. AUTHOR
This version of debugreiserfs has been written by Vitaly Fertman <vitaly@namesys.com>. BUGS
Please report bugs to the ReiserFS developers <reiserfs-dev@namesys.com>, providing as much information as possible--your hardware, kernel, patches, settings, all printed messages; check the syslog file for any related information. SEE ALSO
reiserfsck(8), mkreiserfs(8) Reiserfsprogs 3.6.21 January 2009 DEBUGREISERFS(8)