Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Recover vg and lg after running fdisk Post 302925111 by snoop2048 on Friday 14th of November 2014 04:51:20 AM
Old 11-14-2014
Is it even possible to run fdisk on a volume group? Do you mean you ran it on the physical volume?

What does vgscan and lvscan come back with?

I suspect you are stuffed....I would restore from backup. Recovery is possible but a seriously arduous task!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(c)fdisk and RedHat 7.2

I recently installed RedHat 7.2, and cannot find any tools to partition the disks other than during the install. I did a find from / for fdisk and cfdisk, neither turned up. I looked in the RPM directories on the CD's, again no good. What rpm contains a partition management tool? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using fdisk in scripts

Hi ! I need to create large amount of portions for database in Linux. Untill now I've used fdisk for manual creation of chunks and changing thei? file system type. Now I want to write script for create them automatically. I think I'm not the first who deal with that problem! Thank you for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Frank_a
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fdisk with grep problem

Hello! rescuecd:/var# fdisk -l | grep stupid Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table rescuecd:/var# It shows always this statement. Why? :( Raw fdisk -l shows rescuecd:/var# fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 750.1 GB,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pug123
4 Replies

4. Solaris

using fdisk

how do i know my disk partion using fdisk (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

FDISK problems

OS= Fedora 10 I have a secondary 250GB disk of which I created a 50G partition on to try and set-up an LFS system. I finished with the LFS system and now I want to destroy the partition and reclaim all of the 250GB. So i simply ran fdisk /dev/sdb and deleted the 2 Linux partitions ( one 83 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HEREDOC with fdisk

Hi folks What I'm trying is to build a partitioning script. I can pass a HEREDOC to fdisk just fine. Like this: fdisk /dev/sda << EOF p q EOF but I don't know how to put that HEREDOC into a varible to pass it to fdisk. This is what I have tried so far (no luck) #!/bin/bash ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: latenite
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fdisk v/s parted

Just started understanding linux filesystem and partition utilities. I was going though some video tutorials by CBT nuggets and the author was cursing fdisk as fuzzy tool and recommending to use parted instead. In our job environment i have seen almost every one using fdisk utility for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. Solaris

fdisk

Hi All, fdisk -l in linux equals in fdisk option in Solaris Thanks.......... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvkarthykeyan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Analyse this fdisk -l

Hi, Someone please analyse the following o/p of fdisk -l and tell me what it means for /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc .... Disk /dev/sda: 53.6 GB, 53687091200 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 6527 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
5 Replies

10. BSD

OpenBSD fdisk - Linux fdisk compatibility ?

Hello, MBR partition table made by linux fdisk looks certainly not correct when printed by openbsd fdisk: Partition table created on linux (centos 6.3): # fdisk -l /dev/sdc Disk /dev/sdc: 10.7 GB, 10737418240 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1305 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies
PVCHANGE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       PVCHANGE(8)

NAME
pvchange - change attributes of a physical volume SYNOPSIS
pvchange [-A|--autobackup {y|n}] [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-v|--verbose] [-a|--all] [-x|--allocation {y|n}] [PhysicalVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
pvchange allows you to change the allocation permissions of one or more physical volumes. OPTIONS -A, --autobackup y/n Controls automatic backup of VG metadata after the change ( see vgcfgbackup(8) ). Default is yes. -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -v, --verbose Gives verbose runtime information about pvchange's activities. -a, --all If PhysicalVolumePath is not specified on the command line all physical volumes are searched for and used. -x, --allocation y/n Enable or disable allocation of physical extents on this physical volume. Example "pvchange -x n /dev/sdk1" disallows the allocation of physical extents on this physical volume (possibly because of disk errors, or because it will be removed after freeing it. DIAGNOSTICS
pvchange returns an exit code of 0 for success and > 0 for error: 1 no physical volume name(s) on command line 2 no physical volume names found 3 error changing physical volume in kernel 4 error writing physical volume 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
LVM_AUTOBACKUP If this variable is set to "no" then the automatic backup of VG metadata is turned off. LVM_VG_MAX_BACKUPS This variable determines the backup history depth of kept VGDA copy files in /etc/lvmconf. It can be set to a positive number between 0 and 999. The higher this number is, the more changes you can restore using vgcfgrestore(8). See also lvm(8), pvcreate(8), pvmove(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS PVCHANGE(8)