Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help optimizing sort of large files Post 302924368 by Don Cragun on Saturday 8th of November 2014 02:13:34 PM
Old 11-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kogorman3
... ... ...

I surmise that the execution time is determined largely by the number of passes over the data. I am able to get that down to two passes on most of my datasets, and 3 at most. I did this by upping the limit on open files to the hard limit of 4096, and setting the batch size to 1000, plus setting the buffer size to 10 GB. I'm still experimenting to find a sweet spot.

... ... ...

My bash code now looks something like this:
Code:
ulimit -Sn hard
export TMPDIR=/mnt/h2/tmp
export LC_ALL=C
export SORT="--buffer-size=1000 --buffer-size=10g"

sort $SORT <infile> --output <outfile>

Did you perhaps intend to use:
Code:
export SORT="--batch-size=1000 --buffer-size=10g"

instead of setting the buffer size twice?
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Large files

I am trying to understand the webserver log file for an error which has occured on my live web site. The webserver access file is very big in size so it's not possible to open this file using vi editor. I know the approximate time the error occured, so i am interested in looking for the log file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehgalniraj
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large Text Files

Hi All I have approximately 10 files that are at least 100+ MB in size. I am importing them into a DB to output them to the web. What i need to do first is clean the files up so i dont have un necessary rows in the DB. Below is what the file looks like: Ignore the <TAB> annotations as that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: caddyjoe77
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

large files?

How do we check 'large files' is enabled on a Unix box -- HP-UX B11.11 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort large file

I was wondering how sort works. Does file size and time to sort increase geometrically? I have a 5.3 billion line file I'd like to use with sort -u I'm wondering if that'll take forever because of a geometric expansion? If it takes 100 hours that's fine but not 100 days. Thanks so much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

a problem with large files

hello all, kindly i need your help, i made a script to print a specific lines from a huge file about 3 million line. the output of the script will be about 700,000 line...the problem is the script is too slow...it kept working for 5 days and the output was only 200,000 lines !!! the script is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_wassal
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide large data files into smaller files

Hello everyone! I have 2 types of files in the following format: 1) *.fa >1234 ...some text... >2345 ...some text... >3456 ...some text... . . . . 2) *.info >1234 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Speeding/Optimizing GREP search on CSV files

Hi all, I have problem with searching hundreds of CSV files, the problem is that search is lasting too long (over 5min). Csv files are "," delimited, and have 30 fields each line, but I always grep same 4 fields - so is there a way to grep just those 4 fields to speed-up search. Example:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whit3H0rse
11 Replies

8. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to sort large file with frequency

Hello, I have a very large file of around 2 million records which has the following structure: I have used the standard awk program to sort: # wordfreq.awk --- print list of word frequencies { # remove punctuation #gsub(/_]/, "", $0) for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++) freq++ } END { for (word... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies
ulimit(2)							   System Calls 							 ulimit(2)

NAME
ulimit - get and set process limits SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long ulimit(int cmd, /* newlimit */...); DESCRIPTION
The ulimit() function provides for control over process limits. It is effective in limiting the growth of regular files. Pipes are limited to PIPE_MAX bytes. The cmd values, defined in <ulimit.h>, include: UL_GETFSIZE Return the soft file size limit of the process. The limit is in units of 512-byte blocks and is inherited by child pro- cesses. Files of any size can be read. The return value is the integer part of the soft file size limit divided by 512. If the result cannot be represented as a long int, the result is unspecified. UL_SETFSIZE Set the hard and soft file size limits for output operations of the process to the value of the second argument, taken as a long int. Any process may decrease its own hard limit, but only a process with appropriate privileges may increase the limit. The new file size limit is returned. The hard and soft file size limits are set to the specified value multiplied by 512. If the result would overflow an rlimit_t, the actual value set is unspecified. UL_GMEMLIM Get the maximum possible break value (see brk(2)). UL_GDESLIM Get the current value of the maximum number of open files per process configured in the system. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, ulimit() returns the value of the requested limit. Otherwise, -1 is returned, the limit is not changed, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The ulimit() function will fail if: EINVAL The cmd argument is not valid. EPERM A process that has not asserted {PRIV_SYS_RESOURCE} in its effective set is trying to increase its file size limit. USAGE
Since all return values are permissible in a successful situation, an application wishing to check for error situations should set errno to 0, then call ulimit(), and if it returns -1, check if errno is non-zero. The getrlimit() and setrlimit() functions provide a more general interface for controlling process limits, and are preferred over ulimit(). See getrlimit(2). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
brk(2), getrlimit(2), write(2), attributes(5), privileges(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 2003 ulimit(2)