Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [BASH] Script to manage background scripts (running, finished, exit code) Post 302921365 by sea on Thursday 16th of October 2014 03:10:39 PM
Old 10-16-2014
Ok, here's the smallest i could get...
But now script3 gets lost among the way, everything else seems to be working fine...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
#	Variables
#
	scripts_remains=( "${@}" )
	scripts_total=${#scripts_remains[@]}
	TMP_DIR=$HOME/.cache/$$

# Filled in the process
	unset scripts_todo[@] scripts_id[@]
	unset done_scripts[@] done_ret[@]

# Defaults
	LIMIT=5
	WAIT=5

# Counters - Fixed
	counter_done=0

# Counters - Dynamic
	counter_start=0
	counter_running=0
#
#	Environment check
#
	[[ -d "$TMP_DIR" ]] || mkdir -p "$TMP_DIR"
#
#	Display & Action --> limit 5, passing 4
#
	while [[ $counter_done -lt $scripts_total ]]
	do	# Loop the menu & Reset some values

# Step 1
		# Check if there are files to be started
		echo "Scripts @ start"
# The Limit check is worthless, even when set to 2, all passed scripts gets executed on first loop...
		if [[ $counter_running -lt $LIMIT ]]
		then	# So we look in the script_remains for tasks
			num=0
			for S in ${scripts_remains[@]};do
				[[ -z "$S" ]] && break
				# Generate the command & save to new array
				[[ [./] = "${S:0:1}" ]] && PRE="" || PRE="./" 
				cmd="$PRE$S ; echo \$? > $TMP_DIR/$S.tmp"
				echo "Starting: $S"
				(eval $cmd) &
				scripts_id[$counter_start]="$!"
				scripts_todo[$counter_start]="$S"
				unset scripts_remains[$num]
				((counter_start++))
				((counter_running++))
				((num++))
			done
		fi

# Step 2
		# Print status of already done scripts
		echo "Scrips @ done"
		C=0
		for D in "${done_scripts[@]}";do
			R=${done_id[$C]}
			echo "$D ended $R"
			((C++))
		done

# Step 3
		# Show current tasks running -- now loops here endlessly...  because a script gets lost within the loop
		num=0
		echo "Scripts @ work"
		for W in "${scripts_todo[@]}";do
			# Only display if array element is not empty
			if [[ ! -z "$W" ]]
			then	val=${scripts_id[$num]}
				if [[ ! -z "$val" ]]
				then	if ps -ha | grep $val|grep -v -q grep
					then	echo "$W works : $val"
					else	echo "$W has ended..."
						# Unset this item now
						done_scripts[$counter_done]="$W"
						read R < $TMP_DIR/$W.tmp
						done_id[$counter_done]="$R"
						unset scripts_todo[$num] scripts_id[$num]
						((counter_done++))
						((counter_running--))
					fi
				fi
				((num++))
			fi

done

[[ $counter_done -lt $scripts_total ]] && \
			echo "wait for update: $WAIT" && \
			sleep $WAIT && \
			clear
	done
#
#	Clean up temp files
#
	rm -fr "$TMP_DIR"

BTW: These are my test scripts
Code:
grep -n sleep *
script1:2:sleep 30 
script2:2:sleep 9
script3:2:sleep 20
script4:2:sleep 15

Last edited by sea; 10-16-2014 at 04:29 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status of Invoking two or more scripts in background

I have a sript which is going to trigger other 3 scripts in background simultaneously for eg: Main Script:(main.sh) ----------- sh a.sh & sh b.sh & sh c.sh & How to catch the exit status and store it in a variable for all those three scripts in main script. Is there any other way of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job finished notification

In my last job someone gave me the command to put in my .profile that let me know when a job I had running in the background finished. It was a word about 5 char long. I can't remember it! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkeller
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with exit after running jobs in background

I have the following sample script to run a script the jobs with the same priority(in this case field3) in parallel; wait for the jobs to finish and run the next set of jobs in parallel.When all the lines are read exit the script. I have the following script which is doing evrything I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hyennah
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the exit status of the script running in background

Hi All, I have a scenario where I am executing some child shell scripts in background (using &)through a master parent script. Is there a way I can capture the exit status of each individual child script after the execution is completed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Catch exit code of specific background process

Hi all, i hava a specific backgroud process. I have de PID of this process. At some time, the process finish his job, is there any way to catch the exit code? I use "echo $?" normally for commands. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts in background

Hi, below is my master script wihch inturn runs 2 scripts in background #master_script.sh ./subscript1.sh & ./subscript2.sh & executed the master_script.sh from unix command prompt $ ./master_script.sh it is executing the subscripts and they are completing fine, however master_script.sh is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems running scripts in the background

Hi Could someone offer some help on this problem I've got with running a background process. As part of a script that does a stop/start/status for a piece of software called SAS, the following extract is from part of the start step. My issue is that when the script is run, the control... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GavP
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal running bash/rsync script does not close with exit (MacOS High SIerra)

Hello, I am running a bash script to do an rsync back on a computer running MacOS High Sierra. This is the script I am using, #!/bin/bash # main backup location, trailing slash included backup_loc="/Volumes/Archive_Volume/00_macos_backup/" # generic backup function function backup {... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies
wait(1) 							   User Commands							   wait(1)

NAME
wait - await process completion SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh wait [pid]... /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh wait [pid]... wait [% jobid...] /bin/csh wait ksh93 wait [job...] DESCRIPTION
The shell itself executes wait, without creating a new process. If you get the error message cannot fork,too many processes, try using the wait command to clean up your background processes. If this doesn't help, the system process table is probably full or you have too many active foreground processes. There is a limit to the number of process IDs associated with your login, and to the number the system can keep track of. Not all the processes of a pipeline with three or more stages are children of the shell, and thus cannot be waited for. /bin/sh, /bin/jsh Wait for your background process whose process ID is pid and report its termination status. If pid is omitted, all your shell's currently active background processes are waited for and the return code is 0. The wait utility accepts a job identifier, when Job Control is enabled (jsh), and the argument, jobid, is preceded by a percent sign (%). If pid is not an active process ID, the wait utility returns immediately and the return code is 0. csh Wait for your background processes. ksh When an asynchronous list is started by the shell, the process ID of the last command in each element of the asynchronous list becomes known in the current shell execution environment. If the wait utility is invoked with no operands, it waits until all process IDs known to the invoking shell have terminated and exit with an exit status of 0. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent known process IDs (or jobids), the wait utility waits until all of them have terminated. If one or more pid or jobid operands are specified that represent unknown process IDs (or jobids), wait treats them as if they were known process IDs (or jobids) that exited with exit status 127. The exit status returned by the wait utility is the exit status of the process requested by the last pid or jobid operand. The known process IDs are applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment. ksh93 wait with no operands, waits until all jobs known to the invoking shell have terminated. If one or more job operands are specified, wait waits until all of them have completed. Each job can be specified as one of the following: number number refers to a process ID. -number number refers to a process group ID. %number number refers to a job number %string Refers to a job whose name begins with string %?string Refers to a job whose name contains string %+ Refers to the current job %% %- Refers to the previous job If one ore more job operands is a process id or process group id not known by the current shell environment, wait treats each of them as if it were a process that exited with status 127. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: pid The unsigned decimal integer process ID of a command, for which the utility is to wait for the termination. jobid A job control job ID that identifies a background process group to be waited for. The job control job ID notation is applicable only for invocations of wait in the current shell execution environment, and only on systems supporting the job control option. USAGE
On most implementations, wait is a shell built-in. If it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following, (wait) nohup wait ... find . -exec wait ... ; it returns immediately because there is no known process IDs to wait for in those environments. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using A Script To Identify The Termination Signal Although the exact value used when a process is terminated by a signal is unspecified, if it is known that a signal terminated a process, a script can still reliably figure out which signal is using kill, as shown by the following (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 1000& pid=$! kill -kill $pid wait $pid echo $pid was terminated by a SIG$(kill -l $(($?-128))) signal. Example 2 Returning The Exit Status Of A Process If the following sequence of commands is run in less than 31 seconds (/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh): sleep 257 | sleep 31 & jobs -l %% then either of the following commands returns the exit status of the second sleep in the pipeline: wait <pid of sleep 31> wait %% ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of wait: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
ksh93 The following exit values are returned by the wait built-in in ksh93: 0 wait was invoked with no operands. All processes known by the invoking process have terminated. 127 job is a process id or process group id that is unknown to the current shell environment. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), jobs(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 13 Mar 2008 wait(1)