Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Inserting delimiter after a specific number of chars Post 302919654 by Aia on Thursday 2nd of October 2014 08:00:43 PM
Old 10-02-2014
Welcome to the forum Diogo R Jesus.

It would be most helpful if you can post a relevant portion of the input you intend to use, an example of the expected output and lastly but not least, any script showing any efforts you have already tried.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting specific lines in vi

How can I insert, say lines 500 - 700 from another file into the current file on the current line (cursor) that I am editing while in vi (AIX). I know how to insert the entire file but how do you do it when you only need certain lines from a huge file? I've referenced my Unix Unleash book but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting a delimiter after certain charater position

Hi, I have a string : - ICFFHASMTAAMPFINCL22082006000002548789632 and i want to add delimiter after certain charater position through a script, eg. ICFFH,ASMTAAMPF,INCL,22082006,000002548789632. I have tried and am able to achieve it through cut-paste. But i don't want to use cut paste as it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: divz
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting double quotes after third delimiter

Hi, I'm trying to insert double quotes right after the third delimiter in a file. Delimiter is ^Z. For example: Input: Oct ^Z 1234 ^Z John ^Z Hello!" Desired Output: Oct ^Z 1234 ^Z John ^Z "Hello!" Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kangaroo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem inserting text into file after specific line

this is utterly embarassing :( after posting here i revisited my files and found that when i used "vi" instead of a gui based editor, i suddenly found that the indentations were in fact wrong :( sorry about this :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mocca
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove delimiter from specific column?

I have 5 column in sample txt file where in i have to create report based upon 1,3 and 5 th column.. I have : in first and third coulmn. But I want to retain the colon of fifth coulmn and remove the colon of first column.. 5th column contains String message (for example,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for inserting line at specific place in file

I use zentyal for my server admin, which is great but zentyal auto-generates config file on boot and hence overwrites any changes made directly to config files. In order to allow multiple user access to a MS ACCESS database, I need to customise the smb.conf file and add the following line to the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

number of chars

I am curious why the below returns 4 instead of 3 wc -c <<<aaa Whereasa=aaa;echo ${#a} returns 3. How to get 3 using here -string operator in the above scenario Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting comma after a specific pattern

Hi Am using ksh shell I have a file like XYSDHY read write; permission; complete; DEGHLO RTERI dersa; upomxi oidewmiew; jdipowj;Now i need to insert semicolon after the BLOCK LETTER patterns and delete all blank lines. Now I need the output as XYSDHY; read write; permission;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific column delimiter

Hi All, I have a file with a pipe delimiter. I need to replace the delimiter with html tags. I managed to get all the delimiters replaced along with first and last but the requirement is that I need to change 7th delimiter with slight change. File1: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
Gtk2::EntryBuffer(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Gtk2::EntryBuffer(3pm)

NAME
Gtk2::EntryBuffer - wrapper for GtkEntryBuffer HIERARCHY
Glib::Object +----Gtk2::EntryBuffer The Gtk2::EntryBuffer class contains the actual text displayed in a Gtk2::Entry widget. A single Gtk2::EntryBuffer object can be shared by multiple Gtk2::Entry widgets which will then share the same text content, but not the cursor position, visibility attributes, icon etc. Gtk2::EntryBuffer may be derived from. Such a derived class might allow text to be stored in an alternate location, such as non-pageable memory, useful in the case of important passwords. Or a derived class could integrate with an application's concept of undo/redo. METHODS
entrybuffer = Gtk2::EntryBuffer->new ($initial_chars=undef) o $initial_chars (string) unsigned = $buffer->get_bytes integer = $buffer->delete_text ($position=0, $n_chars=-1) o $position (integer) o $n_chars (integer) $buffer->emit_deleted_text ($position, $n_chars) o $position (integer) o $n_chars (integer) $buffer->emit_inserted_text ($position, $chars, $n_chars) o $position (integer) o $chars (string) o $n_chars (integer) $buffer->insert_text ($position, $chars) o $position (integer) o $chars (string) integer = $buffer->get_length integer = $buffer->get_max_length $buffer->set_max_length ($max_length) o $max_length (integer) string = $buffer->get_text $buffer->set_text ($chars) o $chars (string) PROPERTIES
'length' (Glib::UInt : default 0 : readable / private) Length of the text currently in the buffer 'max-length' (integer : default 0 : readable / writable / private) Maximum number of characters for this entry. Zero if no maximum 'text' (string : default "" : readable / writable / private) The contents of the buffer SIGNALS
inserted-text (Gtk2::EntryBuffer, Glib::UInt, string, Glib::UInt) deleted-text (Gtk2::EntryBuffer, Glib::UInt, Glib::UInt) SEE ALSO
Gtk2, Glib::Object COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2011 by the gtk2-perl team. This software is licensed under the LGPL. See Gtk2 for a full notice. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-27 Gtk2::EntryBuffer(3pm)