Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity How to protect system from cloning? Post 302916122 by Installimat on Sunday 7th of September 2014 07:11:23 AM
Old 09-07-2014
How to protect system from cloning?

Hello there,

I would like to protect a Linux system from cloning, I don't mind if the cloned hard drive works in the same computer, but I need to avoid it to work in other one, even if it uses exactly same mainboard model and rest of computer parts. I want the cloned system to get frozen or simply restart continously if it's used in another computer.

I found a thread in other forum that talks about a test of the NIC interface's MAC. It could be a good solution.

The issue is that I have no information at all about how to do it, nor the software to use. Of course, I would like it to be as "unbreakable" as possible.

Many regards in advance

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

protect dtterm

we have an hp-ux and a user requested me if i can password protect the dtterm. i know that this is possible but can you give me some hints in making this happen? thanks :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password protect a file

I have created a PHP page that I use to clean files on my machine. I would like to leave the file there but I want to password protect it so that I am the only one that can run it from the shell. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. -Cam (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perryl7
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Protect from rm /

We recently had an accidental delete from /. I hold the root password but others are allowed to sudo over to root to perform admin tasks. The only way I want to permit deletion from / is by physically being root (su -). I'd like to add a line to the sudoers file which would permit all commands... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottsl
1 Replies

4. AIX

Problem cloning system

Hi everyone, I want to clone a AIX 5.2 system from a machine to another one. So i modified bosinst.data and image.data files (according to future platform) before making mksysb on old platform. After booting on CD and restoring system using mksysb tape, the installation is launched but ever... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fgaulois
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full System Backup / Cloning HPUX

I am new to UNIX and need help in cloning a HPUX 10.2 Ace 5, can anybody please guide me in making a full system backup. Real Chess (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: real-chess
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cloning a solaris system

I have several Solaris 8,9 and 10 servers. I need to refresh them and avoid doing any OS upgrades. I may have to apply patches when I am done due to the new hardware. My current servers have internal disk and my new target servers (same processor types) will have only SAN storage. Once the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzqv9p
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

protect process

how to protect my process from others to kill?? Double post, continued here, thread closed (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrintu
0 Replies

8. AIX

Cloning a system via mksysb backup from one system and restore to new system

Hello All, I am trying to clone an entire AIX virtual machine to a new virtual machine including all partitions and OS.Can anyone help me on the procedure to follow? I am not really sure on how it can be done.Thanks in advance. Please use CODE tags for sample input, sample output, and for code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Archiveadm system cloning - Solaris 11.4

Hi all, I am trying to use archiveadm to backup/clone an existing Solaris11.4 system. However, i failed at media creation with the error -> "Media can only be created from archives containing root-only data" root@xxx:/mnt/opt/software# zpool list NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP DEDUP ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
6 Replies
TAP(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    TAP(4)

NAME
tap -- virtual Ethernet device SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device tap DESCRIPTION
The tap driver allows the creation and use of virtual Ethernet devices. Those interfaces appear just as any real Ethernet NIC to the kernel, but can also be accessed by userland through a character device node in order to read frames being sent by the system or to inject frames. In that respect it is very similar to what tun(4) provides, but the added Ethernet layer allows easy integration with machine emulators or virtual Ethernet networks through the use of bridge(4) with tunneling. INTERFACE CREATION Interfaces may be created in two different ways: using the ifconfig(8) create command with a specified device number, or its ioctl(2) equiva- lent, SIOCIFCREATE, or using the special cloning device /dev/tap. The former works the same as any other cloning network interface: the administrator can create and destroy interfaces at any time, notably at boot time. This is the easiest way of combining tap and bridge(4). Later, userland will actually access the interfaces through the specific device nodes /dev/tapN. The latter is aimed at applications that need a virtual Ethernet device for the duration of their execution. A new interface is created at the opening of /dev/tap, and is later destroyed when the last process using the file descriptor closes it. CHARACTER DEVICES Whether the tap devices are accessed through the special cloning device /dev/tap or through the specific devices /dev/tapN, the possible actions to control the matching interface are the same. When using /dev/tap though, as the interface is created on-the-fly, its name is not known immediately by the application. Therefore the TAPGIFNAME ioctl is provided. It should be the first action an application using the special cloning device will do. It takes a pointer to a struct ifreq as an argument. Ethernet frames sent out by the kernel on a tap interface can be obtained by the controlling application with read(2). It can also inject frames in the kernel with write(2). There is absolutely no validation of the content of the injected frame, it can be any data, of any length. One call of write(2) will inject a single frame in the kernel, as one call of read(2) will retrieve a single frame from the queue, to the extent of the provided buffer. If the buffer is not large enough, the frame will be truncated. tap character devices support the FIONREAD ioctl which returns the size of the next available frame, or 0 if there is no available frame in the queue. They also support non-blocking I/O through the FIONBIO ioctl. In that mode, EWOULDBLOCK is returned by read(2) when no data is available. Asynchronous I/O is supported through the FIOASYNC, FIOSETOWN, and FIOGETOWN ioctls. The first will enable SIGIO generation, while the two other configure the process group that will receive the signal when data is ready. Synchronisation may also be achieved through the use of select(2), poll(2), or kevent(2). ETHERNET ADDRESS When a tap device is created, it is assigned an Ethernet address of the form f2:0b:a4:xx:xx:xx. This address can later be changed using ifconfig(8) to add an active link layer address, or directly via the SIOCALIFADDR ioctl on a PF_LINK socket, as it is not available on the ioctl handler of the character device interface. FILES
/dev/tap cloning device /dev/tap[0-9]* individual character device nodes SEE ALSO
bridge(4), etherip(4), tun(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The tap driver first appeared in NetBSD 3.0. BSD
March 10, 2009 BSD