Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with Check Syntax of Shell Script without Running Post 302914324 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 24th of August 2014 09:45:28 PM
Old 08-24-2014
Don's suggestion is the best bet. You can also try adding a line like this at the top
Code:
set -n

in the script itself. For modern shells - NOT csh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check my code?? running shell from c?

Hi mates, i am trying to run a shell command from my C program in this case let is say the "ls" command. It copiles it okay, and even creates the new fork too. But seems to nothing is happening i mean it is not showing the result of the "ls" command. I don't know wat i am doing wrong. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdul
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to check if a process is running in a server from shell script.

I want to write a unix shell script that will check if a process (say debu) is running in the server or not. If no , then send a mail to the corresponding person to start the process??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check Shell script syntax w/o executing

Hello All, I looking for a way to verify the correction of shell script syntax. Is there any switch like -c in perl which do this in shell ? Thank You. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

K script not running / syntax problem

Hi, I have following K script, that is in rc0.d directory to be run on shutdown. It's linked using the 'ln' command to init.d.Can anyone tell me as to why it's not running, or if i have incorrect syntax?I get: "test: argument expected type=uname -p + " When running it with sh -x ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: darrlaw
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check if another script is running and if so, then sleep for sometime and check again

Hi, I am a unix newbie. I need to write a script to check wheteher another script is still running. If it is, then sleep for 30m and then check again if the script is running. If the script has stopped running then, I need to come out of the loop. I am using RHEL 5.2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathews
2 Replies

6. Solaris

How to check if a shell is already running ?

Hi, I put this at start of my shell (korn shell) to be sure that the shell is not already running and sometimes it fails and says that it is already running which is not true ! sleep 1 /usr/bin/ps -ef | /usr/bin/grep "$0" | /usr/bin/egrep -v grep>$LOGDIR/$0.res isup=$(cat $LOGDIR/$0.res|wc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionassedo
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CHECK SCRIPT SYNTAX

Hi everyone, i'd like someone chechk this script, i know it's very simple but it doesn't work good, let me tell you this script works over huge directories, maybe that's the problem, if somebody can give me other way to develop, or show me where it's the problem, i'll appreciate it. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script check syntax not working ...

Hello i have question that i want check syntax from my script shell with sh -n filename but it's not show something even i have wrong syntax in my file. why can this happened or any other way to check it? i use on header of file : #!/bin/sh thx before :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gochengz
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check status of long running multiple curl commands in shell script

I am working on script. it reads a file which contains multiple lines Ex; curl --write-out %{http_code} --silent --output /dev/null http://hostname:port/input=1 curl --write-out %{http_code} --silent --output /dev/null http://hostname:port/input=2 curl --write-out %{http_code} --silent ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
2 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - overview of various system shells SYNOPSIS
POSIX Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] Korn Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] C Shell [command_file] [argument_list ...] Key Shell DESCRIPTION
Remarks The POSIX .2 standard requires that, on a POSIX-compliant system, executing the command activates the POSIX shell (located in file on HP-UX systems), and executing the command produces an on-line manual entry that displays the syntax of the POSIX shell command-line. However, the command has historically been associated with the conventional Bourne shell, which could confuse some users. To meet stan- dards requirements and also clarify the relationships of the various shells and where they reside on the system, this entry provides com- mand-line syntax and a brief description of each shell, and lists the names of the manual entries where each shell is described in greater detail. The Bourne shell is removed from the system starting with HP-UX 11i Version 1.5. Please use the POSIX shell as an alternative. Shell Descriptions The HP-UX operating system supports the following shells: POSIX-conforming command programming language and command interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell conforms to current POSIX standards in effect at the time the HP-UX system release was introduced, and is similar to the Korn shell in many respects. Similar in many respects to the Korn shell, the POSIX shell contains a history mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. Korn-shell command programming language and commands interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell, like the POSIX shell, contains a his- tory mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. A command language interpreter that incorporates a command history buffer, C-language-like syntax, and job control facilities. Restricted version of the POSIX shell command interpreter. Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. restricted version of the Korn-shell command interpreter Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. An extension of the standard Korn Shell that uses hierarchical softkey menus and context-sensitive help. +--------------+--------------------+ | To obtain: | Use the command: | +--------------+--------------------+ | POSIX Shell | /usr/bin/sh ... | | Korn Shell | /usr/bin/ksh ... | | C Shell | /usr/bin/csh ... | | Key Shell | /usr/bin/keysh | +--------------+--------------------+ These shells can also be the default invocation, depending on the entry in the file. See also chsh(1). WARNINGS
Many manual entries contain descriptions of shell behavior or describe program or application behavior similar to ``the shell'' with a ref- erence to ``see sh(1)''. SEE ALSO
For more information on the various individual shells, see: keysh(1) Key Shell description. ksh(1) Korn Shell description. sh-posix(1) POSIX Shell description. csh(1) C Shell description. sh(1)