Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Storing command output in a variable and using cut/awk Post 302913995 by rbatte1 on Thursday 21st of August 2014 09:17:59 AM
Old 08-21-2014
JustALol,
I think you are trying to over work this and have confused it trying to make it neat. Would this do?:-
Code:
md5sum file1 | read newvar filename
print $newvar

What is the intention with this? If you are looking to store the value long term and then check for unauthorised changes, then md5sum allows you to read a file containing the hashes and compare them:-
Code:
echo "Original file" > my_test_file
for file in *
do
   md5sum $file
done > /tmp/my_hashes

echo "Changed file" > my_test_file
md5sum -c /tmp/my_hashes

Does that work with what you are really intending to do?

Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 08-21-2014 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Addressed to JustALol, not Franklin52

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing output of awk in variable

HI I am trying to store the output of this awk command awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr in a variable when I am trying v= awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr $v = awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr but its not working out . Any suggestions Thanks Arif (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mab_arif16
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing the output into a variable

Hi unix gurus, I am trying to store the result of a command into a variable. But it is not getting stored. x='hello' y=echo $x | wc -c but it is giving the output as 0(zero) Pls help me its very urgent (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
7 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

problem while storing the output of awk to variable

Hi, i have some files in one directory(say some sample dir) whose names will be like the following. some_file1.txt some_file2.txt. i need to get the last modified file size based on file name pattern like some_ here i am able to get the value of the last modified file size using the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eswarreddya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing output from echo & cut into variable

Hi All, Hope someone can advise here as I have been struggling to find a syntax that works here. I have tried a stack of combination I have seed in the forums but I think because I have needed to use "" and `` in the statments another method is found. I am reading in lines with the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkwilliams
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output of "time" command to a variable

Hi all, I am new to Linux/shell scripting having moderate knowledge. In my script, I need to get execution time of a command (say 'ls') in mili seconds level. For this i tried using "time" command to retrieve the total execution time in milli seconds. But, the problem is that, how to save... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: happening_linux
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output into a variable

My script below seems to be choking because I need the the output of the find command to be stored as a variable that can then be called by used lower in the script. #!/bin/bash cd "/resumes_to_be_completed" var1=find . -mmin -1 -type f \( -name "*.doc" -o -name "*.docx" \)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing awk command in a variable

I'm working on a script in which gives certain details in its output depending on user-specified options. So, what I'd like to do is something like: if then awkcmd='some_awk_command' else awkcmd='some_other_awk_command' fi Then, later in the script, we'd do something like: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple sql queries output into variable by running sql command only once

Hi All, I want to run multiple sql queries and store the data in variable but i want to use sql command only once. Is there a way without running sql command twice and storing.Please advise. Eg : Select 'Query 1 output' from dual; Select 'Query 2 output' from dual; I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rokkesh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use cut output as variable piped awk command

Hi, I would like use the output of my cut command as a variable in my following awk command. Here's what I've written. cut -f1 info.txt | awk -v i=xargs -F'' '{if($6 == $i) print $20}' summary.txt Where obviously the 'xargs' doesn't do what I want. How can I pass my cut result to my awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyooo
3 Replies
gst-md5sum-0.8(1)						   User Commands						 gst-md5sum-0.8(1)

NAME
gst-md5sum-0.8, gst-md5sum - get an md5sum of a GStreamer pipeline through md5sink SYNOPSIS
gst-md5sum-0.8 [--verbose] [gst-std-options] [partial-pipeline-description] gst-md5sum [--verbose] [gst-std-options] [partial-pipeline-description] [--gst-list-mm] [--gst-mm=string] [--print] DESCRIPTION
gst-md5sum-0.8 generates MD5 checksums of the data generated by a GStreamer pipeline. In theory, both of the following commands should print out the same checksum: gst-md5sum-0.8 filesrc location=music.mp3 md5sum music.mp3 If the pipeline contains an md5sink element, gst-md5sum-0.8 queries it for the md5sum at the end of pipeline iteration. If the pipeline does not contain an md5sink element, gst-md5sum-0.8 automatically connects an md5sink to the right-hand side of the given pipeline. See gst-launch(1) or the GStreamer documentation for more information on how to create a partial-pipeline-description. gst-md5sum is a wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-md5sum-X.X. For example, if both gst-md5sum-0.7 and gst- md5sum-0.8 are installed on your system, gst-md5sum runs gst-md5sum-0.8. OPTIONS
The following options are supported by gst-md5sum-0.8 and gst-md5sum: --verbose Output verbose information. You can also use -v to specify this option. gst-std-options Standard options available for use with most GStreamer applications. See gst-std-options(5) for more information. The following options are supported by gst-md5sum only: --gst-list-mm List found major/minor versions. This option displays the versions that are available. --gst-mm=string Force major/minor version. This option enables you to specify a specific version to run, if you do not want to run the default version. --print Print wrapped command line. This option displays the command that will be run, and then runs the command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: partial-pipelinePartialppipeline description. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Running the Wrapper Script and Displaying the Command Name example% gst-md5sum --print /usr/bin/gst-md5sum-0.8 FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gst-md5sum-0.8 Executable for GNOME help browser /usr/bin/gst-md5sum Wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-md5sum-X.X ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-media | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gst-complete(1), gst-compprep(1), gst-feedback(1), gst-inspect(1), gst-launch(1), gst-launch-ext(1), gst-register(1), gst-thumbnail(1), gst-typefind(1), gst-xmlinspect(1), gst-xmllaunch(1), gstreamer-properties(1), libgstreamer-0.8(3), libgstgetbits(3), gst-std-options(5) NOTES
Original man page written by the GStreamer team at http://gstreamer.net/. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2004 gst-md5sum-0.8(1)