Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux applications finding their files Post 302913412 by theKbStockpiler on Saturday 16th of August 2014 11:40:38 AM
Old 08-16-2014
Thanks for the reply

I can only vaguely remember what I read but I thought that linux applications could just be pointed to a directory and the loader or exeve could some how determine which file to load. The implications sound interesting but I may have gotten the wrong idea. Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

2. Programming

GUI applications on SunSolaris and RedHat Linux

Hello, I want know about building a product on Sun solaris and Redhat Linux. Product would contain C,C++, Java, UNIX Shell scripts and so on. It will not be a client server programme. Thanks! Shafi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
5 Replies

3. AIX

finding 3rd party Applications installed on AIX

Hi,. I want to know how to find out 3rd party application installed on aix, example Oracle database if it is installed on aix box it is not showing as installed using lslpp -l command Regards, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

4. Programming

Fetch running applications list in Linux

Hi, I need to write a code which will fetch all the application activity on user computers including app name, time of day, duration, version, etc. Using this I need to know which applications are running currently in user's computers. How can it be done programmatically? I need to write the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunarora
1 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Analogues applications between Windows Application to Linux

Hi Guys I have a network where exist differences windows applications like Active Directory (to management the profile of each person) DNS Well, as you know for these applications the company must be, every year, buy licenses. I want know what option exist I could test / evaluate with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
4 Replies
LOADER.4TH(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     LOADER.4TH(8)

NAME
loader.4th -- loader.conf processing tools DESCRIPTION
The file that goes by the name of loader.4th is a set of commands designed to manipulate loader.conf(5) files. The default /boot/loader.rc includes loader.4th and uses one of its commands to automatically read and process the standard loader.conf(5) files. Other commands exists to help the user specify alternate configurations. The commands of loader.4th by themselves are not enough for most uses. Please refer to the examples below for the most common situations, and to loader(8) for additional commands. Before using any of the commands provided in loader.4th, it must be included through the command: include loader.4th This line is present in the default /boot/loader.rc file, so it is not needed (and should not be re-issued) in a normal setup. The commands provided by it are: boot boot kernelname [...] boot directory [...] boot -flag ... Boot as specified by the loader.conf(5) files read. Depending on the arguments passed, it can override boot flags and either the kernel name or the search path for kernel and modules. boot-conf boot-conf kernelname [...] boot-conf directory [...] boot-conf -flag ... Works like boot described above, but instead of booting immediately, uses autoboot, so it can be stopped. start Reads /boot/defaults/loader.conf, all other loader.conf(5) files specified in it, then loads the desired kernel and modules (if not already loaded). After which you can use the boot or autoboot commmands or simply exit (provided autoboot_delay is not set to NO) to boot the system. start is the command used in the default /boot/loader.rc file (see loader(8)). initialize Initialize the support library so commands can be used without executing start first. Like start, it reads /boot/defaults/loader.conf and all other loader.conf(5) files specified in it (but does not load kernel or modules). Returns a flag on the stack to indicate if any configuration files were successfully loaded. read-conf filename Reads and processes a loader.conf(5) file. Does not proceed to boot. enable-module module Enables the loading of module. disable-module module Disables the loading of module. toggle-module module Toggles the loading of module on and off. show-module module Shows the information gathered in the loader.conf(5) files about the module module. retry Used inside loader.conf(5) files to specify the action after a module loading fails. ignore Used inside loader.conf(5) files to specify the action after a module loading fails. try-include file [file ...] Process script files if they exist. Each file, in turn, is completely read into memory, and then each of its lines is passed to the command line interpreter. If any error is returned by the interpreter, the try-include command aborts immediately, without reading any other files, and silently returns without error. FILES
/boot/loader The loader(8). /boot/loader.4th loader.4th itself. /boot/loader.rc loader(8) bootstrapping script. /boot/defaults/loader.conf File loaded by the start command. EXAMPLES
Standard /boot/loader.rc: include /boot/loader.4th start Load a different kernel with the standard configuration: set kernel="kernel.old" unload boot-conf Read an additional configuration file and then proceed to boot: unload read-conf /boot/special.conf boot-conf Disable the loading of the splash screen module and bitmap and then proceed to boot: unload disable-module splash_bmp disable-module bitmap boot-conf SEE ALSO
loader.conf(5), loader(8) HISTORY
The loader.4th set of commands first appeared in FreeBSD 3.2. AUTHORS
The loader.4th set of commands was written by Daniel C. Sobral <dcs@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
A British espionage series. BSD
November 13, 2013 BSD